NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woman wins £324m compensation after claiming talc powder caused her terminal ovarian cancer

4 posters

Go down

Woman wins £324m compensation after claiming talc powder caused her terminal ovarian cancer Empty Woman wins £324m compensation after claiming talc powder caused her terminal ovarian cancer

Post by Guest Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:55 pm

A California jury has ordered drugmaker Johnson & Johnson to pay $417million (£324m) to a woman who claimed she developed terminal ovarian cancer after using the company's talc-based products. The case was one of thousands of lawsuits brought nationwide alleging the company failed to warn consumers of the risk of cancer from talc in its products.

The jury made the award, which included $347m in punitive damages, to Eva Echeverria after she filed suit in July of last year, a representative of the Los Angeles Superior Court told AFP. Echeverria, 63, developed the disease after decades of using Johnson & Johnson talc-based powders for feminine hygiene, according to media accounts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/22/johnson-johnson-ordered-pay-417m-cancer-lawsuit/

Back to top Go down

Woman wins £324m compensation after claiming talc powder caused her terminal ovarian cancer Empty Re: Woman wins £324m compensation after claiming talc powder caused her terminal ovarian cancer

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Johnson & Johnson says it will appeal, based on the scientific evidence. I'd love to hear the post-trial interviews with jurors to see what theory of causation they believed.

I read somewhere that ovarian cancer is nearly always fatal, but now they are questioning that.

http://www.cancercenter.com/ovarian-cancer/learning/?source=GGLPS01&channel=paid%20search&invsrc=Non_Branded_Paid_Search_Google_Cancer_Search&utm_device=c&utm_budget=Corporate&utm_site=GOOGLE&utm_campaign=Non%20Brand%3ECancer%20Type:%20Ovarian&utm_adgroup=Learning%3EGeneral%3EPhrase&utm_term=ovarian%20cancer&utm_matchtype=p&k_clickid=286dc932-2ba9-410c-80a9-880392d74301&k_profid=422&k_kwid=327075&gclid=CPGmopWY69UCFUlNfgodL2QFYg

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Woman wins £324m compensation after claiming talc powder caused her terminal ovarian cancer Empty Re: Woman wins £324m compensation after claiming talc powder caused her terminal ovarian cancer

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 pm

There's always been anecdotal evidence that talc can cause such a cancer. I heard about that years ago.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:53 pm

I have never ever understood why anyone would look at a substance like talc and even think it looks like it's good for you.

I'm sorry for the woman of course, but £324 million seems just way over the top.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:05 pm

I thought Talc was 99% Chalk dust?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:07 pm

nicko wrote:I thought Talc was 99%   Chalk dust?

It's just full of crap and I have no idea why women are encouraged to shove it anywhere near their vaginas or those of their kids.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down