NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attack of the birds: rising number of people injured by seagulls on Britain's coast

+6
'Wolfie
Victorismyhero
magica
Syl
Raggamuffin
nicko
10 posters

Go down

Attack of the birds: rising number of people injured by seagulls on Britain's coast  Empty Attack of the birds: rising number of people injured by seagulls on Britain's coast

Post by Guest Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:21 pm

It sounds like a scene by Hitchcock.

But medics are warning of a rise in patients being treated for injuries after attacks by swooping seagulls.
Increasingly aggressive gulls plaguing Britain’s coastlines are no longer content to steal leftover chips, they say. Pharmacists in Cornwall said they were now seeing at least one patient a week who had been left bloodied or cut as a result, with many more likely to treat their wounds at home.

In some cases, young children have been left with cuts to their faces after birds attempted to steal food right out of their mouths, they said. NHS Kernow clinical commissioning group, in Cornwall, said most of those suffering such attacks could be treated at their local chemist.  But some cases have left children and pensioners in hospital.

Earlier this year, MPs warned that many coastal towns are being “terrorised” by the birds, who appear to have come increasingly aggressive, with some calling for a cull on the birds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/18/attack-birds-rising-numbers-injured-seagulls-britains-beaches/

They should do what they did at my old work, bring in the Hawks. You have never seen seagulls, get the hell out of there so fast.

Back to top Go down

Attack of the birds: rising number of people injured by seagulls on Britain's coast  Empty Re: Attack of the birds: rising number of people injured by seagulls on Britain's coast

Post by nicko Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:54 pm

I think they should be taken off the Protected list, there are millions of them and they are getting dangerous. In seaside places they have virtually lost all fear of Man/Woman/Child, serious injury to people and Pets is inevitable.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Attack of the birds: rising number of people injured by seagulls on Britain's coast  Empty Re: Attack of the birds: rising number of people injured by seagulls on Britain's coast

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Are they attacking people who are eating outside pubs and cafes, or are they attacking people who are eating in the street? People should stop eating in the street - it's sloppy behaviour.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Are they attacking people who are eating outside pubs and cafes, or are they attacking people who are eating in the street? People should stop eating in the street - it's sloppy behaviour.

Are you kidding me?

So now humans have to stop their normal habits, for something that has adopted urbanized areas. That attacks people from rearing its young they have nested right next to them?

They are nothing more that rats with wings. Their shit carries numerous diseases.

Hence my view to move them on from urban areas back to their natural habitat, by using hawks, to move them on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:56 pm

One swooped on me once when I was sat on my hotel balcony painting my nails.
It actually picked up my bottle of nail polish and flew off with it...I was annoyed, it was a lovely colour varnish.Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Lol Syl maybe it wanted to paint its claws!

A friend had an icecream ripped out of her hand! I saw a man eating outside a hotel, one seagulls swooped nicked a chip he chased it away and others swooped on his dinner. Big sign said don't eat outside because of seagulls.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 pm

magica wrote:Lol Syl maybe it wanted to paint its claws!

A friend had an icecream ripped out of her hand! I saw a man eating outside a hotel, one seagulls swooped nicked   a chip he chased it away and others swooped on his dinner. Big sign said don't eat outside because of seagulls.

Or you could have two alternative signs

One with a Hawk, the humane way, which are trained to move them on.

Or one of Victor and Nicko with M134D Gatling guns, who would certainly eradicate such vermin?

You do realise that because they target garbage to eat and become carriers. The world has now seen cases of the spread of a new disease, called MCR. Where this bacteria is resistant to antibiotics in places around the world.

So you have a choice really.

Move them on with trained Hawks, or cull them.

I have a feeling when babies start to die from infections caught from their shit their drop. I have no doubt people will forego the first option and chose the later.

What would you choose Magica?

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Dont want to kill them Thor, but they are becoming a pest now. Their huge now too. Don't k ow the answer
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:39 pm

magica wrote:Dont want to kill them Thor, but they are becoming a pest now. Their huge now too. Don't k ow the answer

Hence my point to use the humane way.

I had hawks brought into my old work.

The seagulls were gone within a day and did not return for another year.

It took one day to achieve this, with hawks.

They do not kill them, but scare the shit out of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Yes I suppose Thor, tbh never thought about it before.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 pm

yeah thorin ...BUT ...thats just moving the problem along somewhere else....
you need to reduce the numbers

and nope to the gattling gun

an 8 shot semi auto 12 ga would do just nicely Laughing oh and a couple of slabs of cartridges

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Lord Foul wrote:yeah thorin ...BUT ...thats just moving the problem along somewhere else....
you need to reduce the numbers

and nope to the gattling gun

an 8 shot semi auto 12 ga would do just nicely  Laughing oh and a couple of slabs of cartridges

Ah but if you breed enough hawks, you can move them on from urbanized areas.

Granted it would be far more expensive

Had to/ chuckle at your last sentence ha ha.... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:13 pm

flower

The seagulls are indigenous wildlife --  and they were there first...

Then people moved into their territory..

I reckon they should also check those birds for any pollutants introduced into the food chain --  heavy metals, pesticides, fertilisers, hormones, antibiotics, GMO offspring  --  in addition to considering their natural conditioning/adaptations to human insurgencies...

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:16 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: flower

The seagulls are indigenous wildlife --  and they were there first...

Then people moved into their territory..

I reckon they should also check those birds for any pollutants introduced into the food chain --  heavy metals, pesticides, fertilisers, hormones, antibiotics, GMO offspring  --  in addition to considering their natural conditioning/adaptions to human insurgencies...

Not in the urbanized areas.

By coastal areas, most definitely, as they are seabirds mate

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Arrow

Seabirds and coastal species such as seagulls, pelicans, ibis, cormorants and egrets have been known to move hundreds of miles inland, following food supplies after heavy rains and floods...

As regularly seen with natural migrations in Australia, Africa, Russia and the Americas..

Those Pommy 'gulls are simply adapting their natural instinctive behaviours to mankinds increasing urban and suburban expansion.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: Arrow

Seabirds such as seagulls, pelicans, ibis, cormorants and egrets have been known to move hundreds of miles inland, following food supplies after heavy rains and floods...

As regularly seen with natural migrations in Australia, Africa, Russia and the Americas..

Those Pommy 'gulls are simply adapting their natural instinctive behaviours to mankinds increasing urban expansion.

No they have gone from hunting to be scavengers, in other words, rats with wings that carry disease.
Not the best adaption and again, no matter where the humans would move, they would follow.
Its the urbanization that draws them in, as its easy food.
So to say they move inland is correct, but no matter where the humans move they would follow.

The choice is simple, as they are now a health risk.
Move them on humanely with hawks or cull them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Also to say they were there first is absolutely nonsense, as they are migrating birds. In other words nomadic.
Humans have also been to these shores for thousands of years.

Nobody really owns it and we have to all live together, but being as they are now a health risk and attacking people, then measures need to be taken.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:58 pm

For many years Gulls have "roosted" on inland lakes that are used to provide our drinking water,i know the water is treated before we drink it but the amount of Bird shit going in it must make it harder to purify.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:59 am

Thorin wrote:

Seabirds such as seagulls, pelicans, ibis, cormorants and egrets have been known to move hundreds of miles inland, following food supplies after heavy rains and floods...

Those Pommy 'gulls are simply adapting their natural instinctive behaviours to mankinds increasing urban expansion.

No they have gone from hunting to be scavengers, in other words, rats with wings that carry disease.
Not the best adaption and again, no matter where the humans would move, they would follow.
So to say they move inland is correct, but no matter where the humans move they would follow.

Or the choice is to grow a set and accept the Minuscule risk posed as a fact of life, I know Brits find it very hard to co exist with nature, but you really dont have to kill everything Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:05 am

Ah yet more racism from Veya

How is my suggestion to humanely use Hawks to move seagulls away from Urban areas wanting to kill everything?

Take your time

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:58 am

Veya,put your brain in gear before you open your mouth, your so anxious to diss us Brits every chance you get. It just makes you look a bigoted fool !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:51 am

Thorin wrote:

Razz

When it comes to "health risks" in modern life,  there is actually one culprit that is far worse than birds, dogs, cats, mice and rats, and a far bigger risk than any wildlife...

And that is human babies and pre-schoolers  !!!

If "health risks" were really that big of a worry, then all children would be quarantined until school age, and all "anti-vaxxer" parents would be jailed and their kids removed permanently..       tongue
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm

nicko wrote:For many years Gulls have "roosted" on inland lakes that are used to provide our drinking water,i know the water is treated before we drink it but the amount of Bird shit going in it must make it harder to purify.

All animals drop a bohack at least daily, nicko. What are you recommending?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 pm

What's a "bohack"? if you mean shit say so.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:07 pm

nicko wrote:What's a "bohack"?  if you mean shit say so.

Polite company does not use such language.

BTW, stop ordering people about. What have you done that makes you so special? Rolling Eyes

Back to topic...since every animal defecates, where do you draw the line on what is acceptable and what is not?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
nicko wrote:What's a "bohack"?  if you mean shit say so.

BTW, stop ordering people about.  What have you done that makes you so special? Rolling Eyes

Back to topic...since every animal defecates, where do you draw the line on what is acceptable and what is not?

He has served for two nations

I would say that is a hundred times more special than anything you could hope to achieve

Well they are now attacking humans in increasing numbers.

Is that acceptable?

Is a any animal attack acceptable?

Again the best way is to have trained hawks that will move on seagulls out of industrial areas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

BTW, stop ordering people about.  What have you done that makes you so special? Rolling Eyes

Don't give me that phony-ass let's all salute the flag and sing our national anthem.  It doesn't to a thing for me...except for the the disgust.  "Served..." my aching ass.  It's called killing babies and wasting my tax money!

Nothing personal, nicko.  Just, I want to vomit when I rear phony, nationalist-lauding crap.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Don't give me that phony-ass let's all salute the flag and sing our national anthem.  It doesn't to a thing for me...except for the the disgust.  "Served..." my aching ass.  It's called killing babies and wasting my tax money!

Nothing personal, nicko.  Just, I want to vomit when I rear phony, nationalist-lauding crap.

Well some here clearly respect those who have served in the armed forces, as he has with this country.

We certainly have no time for blood sucking lawyers.

You kill more babies by your inaction with conflicts, let alone the millions you allow to die each year from starvation and disease, as I have eloquently proved many times.

In the conflicts Nicko fought and by his own admission was to protect lives

Something a lawyer has no comprehension of, only that to make money out of

Last edited by Thorin on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Perhaps you shouldn't have responded to the goading. Nicko hasn't said anything wrong, but Didge is stirring and Nicko is getting the stick for it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Perhaps you shouldn't have responded to the goading. Nicko hasn't said anything wrong, but Didge is stirring and Nicko is getting the stick for it.

Really?

How am I stirring by defending Nicko?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 pm

It seems to me you are the one now stirring Rags, and looking for a fight.

As what actual point have you made on the topic other than to say humans should stop eating in public. If they do not want be attack. Negating the fact many people are also attacked as Seagulls nest their young within urban areas and then attack humans simple walking on the streets who are unaware they are getting to close to them.

The reality is humans are getting attacked.

If a dog attacked and bites a human, what would be the outcome of this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:28 pm

The number of gulls now is staggering, I doubt it's practical to cull them. They put them on contraceptives in Jersey or took the eggs and replaced them with dummy eggs. That might work.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Miffs2 wrote:The number of gulls now is staggering, I doubt it's practical to cull them. They put them on contraceptives in Jersey or took the eggs and replaced them with dummy eggs. That might work.

That is an interesting idea Nems. I am not aware of that.
Did this help the problem?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:34 pm

my top 3 sounds

that plink plink sound that you hear when you walk past a harbour or boating club. it's just the metals knocking against the masts but i love it

the rush of waves as they race round a rocky inlet and gurgle their way out again

seagulls!!!

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:40 pm

gelico wrote:my top 3 sounds

that plink plink sound that you hear when you walk past a harbour or boating club.  it's just the metals knocking against the masts but i love it

the rush of waves as they race round a rocky inlet and gurgle their way out again

seagulls!!!

cheers

The charm soon goes off the plink plink when it's windy and you can't sleep No
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

That's why I added the last sentence.  I was criticizing, not nicko, but the lauding of a phony cause.  

Didge is the worst of criticizing the Wahhabism this, and the Palestinian that, and their so-called terrorist escapades in Nice, Belgium, Finland, etc., etc....and he's too stupid to realize that Muslims are just saluting their flag and singing their anthem, just like him.  

He'll console himself by saying he's not committing acts of terror in their country, but that's a lie.  What do they think they are doing in Afghanistan and Iraq?  Acts of terror!  Doh.

So all this hoo-ray and hoopla, and spending of my tax money, is for our side, while we isk-tsk on their side, and it's all simply about whose ox is getting gored.  Everytime I hear all this phony crap and flag-waving, I think....that's what they're doing!  Fook-sake, if nothing else, spend a little less on tanks and warplanes, and cure cancer.  Do something worthwhile.

But I digress...what about seagulls?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Miffs2 wrote:

that plink plink sound that you hear when you walk past a harbour or boating club.  it's just the metals knocking against the masts but i love it

seagulls!!!

cheers

The charm soon goes off the plink plink when it's windy and you can't sleep No

you kidding? i've fallen into blissful slumber to the sound of the wind and the plink plink

to me it's heavenly

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Anyone would think we owned this planet. We don't. We share it with other creatures. If you get shat on by a gull, tough titters. If the bird tries to steal your grub, double tough titters...go eat it under cover or someplace that gulls don't go.

RSPB gull expert Tony Whitehead added that the birds have not become more vicious, but they have become more confident around people.

Mr Whitehead said: "They have just become more numerous and more confident around people."

Experts previously suggested seagulls become aggressive whenever their chicks are threatened.

Now, why would the gulls be less timid I wonder, and more confident? That's right...because people feed them, chuck them crumbs and think it's a lark to encourage them to feed from the hand. I've seen people do it. Then they don't like it when the birds learn that it's easier to snatch from the hand than forage on the floor. The birds aren't at fault. We are.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:46 pm

seagulls!!!

cheers

I like the plink plink too. In fact, I like harbours generally.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

seagulls!!!

cheers

I like the plink plink too. In fact, I like harbours generally.

There's something very relaxing about the sea sound. I put it down to the fluid sounds we hear in the womb and our mother's heartbeat.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 pm

I love the sound of the sea...will hear it tonight as i drift off....its the most relaxing sound in the world.
The Seagulls squawking dont bother me, i can do without them clog dancing on the caravan roof at 5am though.

The masts clinking drives me mad....luckily we are not in earshot of them....that repititious sound is on a par with a drpping tap imo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:24 am

Thorin wrote:Ah yet more racism from Veya

How is my suggestion to humanely use Hawks to move seagulls away from Urban areas wanting to kill everything?

Take your time

how do you think the hawks move them on?

we have hawks in our cities too, with no need to manually move them in
BECAUSE WE DON'T GO KILLING ALL THE NATURE, so the lot are their to begin with.

Is it racist? I see Brits being cowardly shits, scared of foxes and now seagulls, so trying and justify exterminating them from urban areas rather than just accepting the planet exist for more than just their pansy asses. this is literally the British modus operandi for dealing with nature in almost every circumstance it is cultural and it is pathetic.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 am

Knocking Brits again I see, I think your just jealous of us. You must have us on your mind all the while. Poor little Aussie, never mind, we understand.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:13 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Thorin wrote:Ah yet more racism from Veya

Take your time

how do you think the hawks move them on?

we have hawks in our cities too, with no need to manually move them in
BECAUSE WE DON'T GO KILLING ALL THE NATURE, so the lot are their to begin with.

Is it racist? I see Brits being cowardly shits, scared of foxes and now seagulls, so trying and justify exterminating them from urban areas rather than just accepting the planet exist for more than just their pansy asses. this is literally the British modus operandi for dealing with nature in almost every circumstance it is cultural and it is pathetic.

Well we have specialized hawks and falcons, that do not attack them, they scare them into moving on.

So again this proves yet again you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.picasuk.com/news.html

Yes its very racist/xenophobic to cast people such a way.

Nobody is scared at all, is called ensuring many people do not clog up are medical centers necessarily.

I am sure though if they attack any children and babies and scar them, you must thing the children are cowardly shits using your racist/xenophobic belief

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am

nicko wrote:Knocking Brits again I see,   I think your just jealous of us.   You must have us on your mind all the while.     Poor little Aussie, never mind,  we understand.

This is all he can do, as he is full of hate and constantly ruled by his emotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down