NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grade thresholds for A-Level and GCSE examinations are LOWERED to dodge a dramatic fall in results after Government's new tougher tests for students

2 posters

Go down

Grade thresholds for A-Level and GCSE examinations are LOWERED to dodge a dramatic fall in results after Government's new tougher tests for students   Empty Grade thresholds for A-Level and GCSE examinations are LOWERED to dodge a dramatic fall in results after Government's new tougher tests for students

Post by Guest Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:58 pm

[*]Shakeup was designed to make exams tougher and increase standards
[*]But Ofqual have lowered results to avoid a plummet in test results
[*]Critics have claimed the move makes a mockery of the new reforms
[*]Ofqual said the decision protects students and reflects their efforts

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4786360/Exam-thresholds-lowered-prevent-grades-plummeting.html#ixzz4pdidSB1v 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So clearly Ofqual is run by a bunch of snowflakes.

Back to top Go down

Grade thresholds for A-Level and GCSE examinations are LOWERED to dodge a dramatic fall in results after Government's new tougher tests for students   Empty Re: Grade thresholds for A-Level and GCSE examinations are LOWERED to dodge a dramatic fall in results after Government's new tougher tests for students

Post by eddie Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:06 pm

This saddens me as my son and a lot of friends worked bloody hard to get good grades.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Grade thresholds for A-Level and GCSE examinations are LOWERED to dodge a dramatic fall in results after Government's new tougher tests for students   Empty Re: Grade thresholds for A-Level and GCSE examinations are LOWERED to dodge a dramatic fall in results after Government's new tougher tests for students

Post by Guest Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 pm

eddie wrote:This saddens me as my son and a lot of friends worked bloody hard to get good grades.

This is what is so wrong here Eddie. As its made a mockery of the results, giving little meaning to them.

This view about effort has to change, as its allowing people to get by when they should have either failed or been marked lower on their tests scores. Now I know your son is very intelligent and would have stood out even more if the tests had been scored based on the contents and not adding a merit bonus for effort.

What it is doing is excusing those who should have failed and not teaching them any life lesson.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Spot on didge.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:36 pm

I've said this before... I remember an article a few years ago that reported how a little test was done, where a group of 6th formers who were ready to sit their maths A levels, were given old maths 'O' level papers to do... they all struggled quite badly and achieved poor results...!!!

One of my mates has a son of around 17-18 yrs old, he's in the 6th form at his grammar school and studying for his A levels... (not sure exactly what subjects he's doing although I know it's not art/music/drama etc as he's definitely a maths/science/politics type of student)... but the other week he was asking about the difference between fractions/percentages and decimals, and he couldnt get his head round how and why 'a third of something' when expressed as a fraction '1/3', is the same as when expressed as a percentage '33.3r%'...!!!

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Wow. He is nowhere near your IQ of 7,345 Tommy Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Eddie... seriously for a minute... this is basic maths we're talking about...!

Dont you find it a bit surprising (and worrying) that a grammar school 6th former doing A levels in maths/science/politics, doesnt understand these basic maths principles...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down