NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MP Jacinda Ardern Slaps Down Question On Maternity Leave After Just 24 Hours In Top Job

2 posters

Go down

MP Jacinda Ardern Slaps Down Question On Maternity Leave After Just 24 Hours In Top Job Empty MP Jacinda Ardern Slaps Down Question On Maternity Leave After Just 24 Hours In Top Job

Post by Guest Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 am

Women in British politics are no stranger to being asked pointed questions about their intentions to have a family (Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeon being two cases in point) - and now the leader of the Opposition in New Zealand has had to slap down similar probing. Less than 24 hours into her new role as leader of New Zealand’s Labour Party, Jacinda Ardern was asked twice about whether she had plans to have children.

Ardern, who is NZ Labour’s youngest ever leader, was appearing on The Project when co-host Jesse Mulligan said: “I’ve got a question and we’ve been discussing today whether or not I’m allowed to ask it.”

He then glanced at his female co-host Kanoa Lloyd, who rolled her eyes and laughed.

But he continued: “A lot of women in New Zealand feel like they have to make a choice between having babies and having a career or continuing their career … so is that a decision you feel you have to make or that you feel you’ve already made?”

Ardern responded: “I have no problem with you asking me that question because I have been very open about discussing that dilemma because I think probably lots of women face it.”

She said she did not consider herself different to any other woman who was juggling responsibilities.

But Ardern was questioned more strongly on the issue by panellist Mark Richardson on morning radio show the AM Show.

He said: “I think this is a legitimate question for New Zealand, because she could be the Prime Minister running this country - she has our best interests at heart so we need to know these things.

“If you are the employer of a company you need to know that type of thing from the woman you are employing... the question is, is it okay for a PM to take maternity leave while in office?”

While insisting she “totally” accepts she will be asked questions about her own situation and is happy to answer, Ardern said the line of questioning for any other woman was out of line.

“For other women, it is totally unacceptable in 2017 to say that women should have to answer that question in the workplace,” Ardern said.

“That is unacceptable in 2017. It is the woman’s decision about when they choose to have children.”

“It should not predetermine whether or not they get the job.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jacinda-ardern-sexist-interview_uk_598180c8e4b0353fbb337e33?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

MP Jacinda Ardern Slaps Down Question On Maternity Leave After Just 24 Hours In Top Job Empty Re: MP Jacinda Ardern Slaps Down Question On Maternity Leave After Just 24 Hours In Top Job

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:33 am

Rolling Eyes

That radio DJ the next morning (a "shock jock", I wonder ?) really was a clueless dickhead, with those idiotic remarks -- also have to wonder how old he is...

These days, it is illegal, not only improper, for a potential employer to question someone over their intentions re: children -- what employers could ask female employees 50 or 60 years ago, could land them in court (in front of an Industrial Relations tribunal..) in the 21st century..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

MP Jacinda Ardern Slaps Down Question On Maternity Leave After Just 24 Hours In Top Job Empty Re: MP Jacinda Ardern Slaps Down Question On Maternity Leave After Just 24 Hours In Top Job

Post by Syl Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Whether an employer can ask the question or not, women of child bearing age will often be judged on her suitability for the job because she may get pregnant in the future.
Pregnant women cost employers money and inconvenience.
Like many women know.....they will never be totally equal in the workplace till men have the babies.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down