NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neighbourhoods Face ‘Slow Death’ Fuelled By Social Media And Technology, Ex-Downing Street Advisor Warns

3 posters

Go down

Neighbourhoods Face ‘Slow Death’ Fuelled By Social Media And Technology, Ex-Downing Street Advisor Warns Empty Neighbourhoods Face ‘Slow Death’ Fuelled By Social Media And Technology, Ex-Downing Street Advisor Warns

Post by Guest Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:49 am

Neighbourhoods across the UK risk a “slow death”, a former Downing Street adviser has warned as research reveals most people know who lives near them. A new report commissioned by the social network Nextdoor, which aims to link people living in the same area, found 60 per cent would not feel able to borrow a cup of sugar from their neighbours. The report blames social media, the internet, and communications technology for the growing alienation between neighbours, which appears to be more pronounced among young people.

It found 28% of 18-24 year olds felt lonely in their community, double the proportion (28%) that felt the same among the over-55s. Campaigners want the Government to follow the US and Australia and create an official national ‘Good Neighbours Day’, which would also build on the work of Brendan Cox, the husband of late MP Jo Cox, who started the Great Get Together this year.

Max Chambers, a former Number 10 policy adviser, said the UK is in danger of “sleepwalking towards the slow death of our neighbourhoods”.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/neighbourhoods-slow-death-technology-social-media_uk_5980fec1e4b0353fbb3354c6?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Neighbourhoods Face ‘Slow Death’ Fuelled By Social Media And Technology, Ex-Downing Street Advisor Warns Empty Re: Neighbourhoods Face ‘Slow Death’ Fuelled By Social Media And Technology, Ex-Downing Street Advisor Warns

Post by Syl Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm

I agree with a lot of that, though I don't think the decline started with social media ...I think it started with the Thatcher mantra of 'Look after number one'.
Plus people travelled more for work, left neighbourhoods where their families lived, spread around, and didn't develop the close communities that their parents and grandparents had.
Everyone drives cars...no one walks (unless they have a dog) so new friendships cant flourish in this way anymore.
I think the next younger generation will be even more isolated than this one is ....unless a huge disaster happens like a war, seems nowadays only tragedies on a great scale bind strangers together.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Neighbourhoods Face ‘Slow Death’ Fuelled By Social Media And Technology, Ex-Downing Street Advisor Warns Empty Re: Neighbourhoods Face ‘Slow Death’ Fuelled By Social Media And Technology, Ex-Downing Street Advisor Warns

Post by Guest Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Syl wrote:I agree with a lot of that, though I don't think the decline started with social media ...I think it started with the Thatcher mantra of 'Look after number one'.
Plus people travelled more for work, left neighbourhoods where their families lived, spread around, and didn't develop the close communities that their parents and grandparents had.
Everyone drives cars...no one walks (unless they have a dog) so new friendships cant flourish in this way anymore.
I think the next younger generation will be even more isolated than this one is ....unless a huge disaster happens like a war, seems nowadays only tragedies on a great scale bind strangers together.

I think they have left out one of the major things that brought people together. Children playing outside, of which they cannot do anymore. All kids used to play in the neighborhood. Technology and the fear of child abusers has placed more people within the confines of their own property. I do not think it is more distances to travel to work that has caused this. I think people have become generally more lazy also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:32 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:I agree with a lot of that, though I don't think the decline started with social media ...I think it started with the Thatcher mantra of 'Look after number one'.

I think they have left out one of the major things that brought people together. Children playing outside, of which they cannot do anymore. All kids used to play in the neighborhood. Technology and the fear of child abusers has placed more people within the confines of their own property. I do not think it is more distances to travel to work that has caused this. I think people have become generally more lazy also.

I think all of the things mentioned have played a part.

You are so right about kids playing out Thor...its where my own son met some of the friends he still has...and he is 40 now.
Its also where I met some of my own friends locally...they are the mothers of the kids he played with.

I really don't think its fear of abusers that stops kids playing out, there has always been that fear, when I was small when my son then grandsons were small...it always existed.
Technology is one of the main things that stops kids wanting to be out...they are obsessed with online stuff.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I think all of the things mentioned have played a part.

You are so right about kids playing out Thor...its where my own son met some of the friends he still has...and he is 40 now.
Its also where I met some of my own friends locally...they are the mothers of the kids he played with.

I really don't think its fear of abusers that stops kids playing out, there has always been that fear, when I was small when my son then grandsons were small...it always existed.
Technology is one of the main things that stops kids wanting to be out...they are obsessed with online stuff.

I guess you are right, that its a combination of factors Syl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Yep...laters.
Off out even though its torrential rain here. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Syl wrote:Yep...laters.
Off out even though its torrential rain here. Rolling Eyes

Its okay down here, a tad windy mind..

Enjoy your day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks Thor....It was good, apart from a serious case of frizzy hair caused by rain. afro
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:24 pm

Syl wrote:Thanks Thor....It was good, apart from a serious case of frizzy hair caused by rain. afro

Laughing

No rain here today, glad you had a good day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Glad you had a dry one.
The country seems to be split in half again re what kind of a summer we are getting.
Ours (NW) has seen about 2 weeks of proper summer weather so far....the rest is cloud, rain, or cooler than average.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:29 pm

I was going to apologise for going off topic, but actually the weather is another reason people use as an excuse not to be outdoors.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Syl wrote:I was going to apologise for going off topic, but actually the weather is another reason people use as an excuse not to be outdoors.

I can't remember the last time it didn't rain or the wind didn't blow all my hair into my mouth while walking down the street.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Maybe a lot of people prefer not to mingle in their neighbourhoods.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:20 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:I was going to apologise for going off topic, but actually the weather is another reason people use as an excuse not to be outdoors.

I can't remember the last time it didn't rain or the wind didn't blow all my hair into my mouth while walking down the street.

You live dahnn South don't you?
Come oop North if you want to know what REAL windy and cold weather is like. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down