NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

+4
Syl
magica
Tommy Monk
Raggamuffin
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources' Empty NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm

The NHS has announced a ban on homeopathy and herbal medicine as they say it is "misuse of scarce funds".

Officials today ruled that the treatments are among dozens of medicines which should not be funded by the health service. In the last five years, the NHS has spent almost £600,000 on homeopathic treatment, despite long running debate about whether alternative remedies work.

Today NHS England ruled that “at best homeopathy is a placebo and a misuse of scarce NHS funds which could be better devoted to treatments that work.”

Health officials said cash-strapped clinical commissioning groups should no longer fund such medicines, along with 16 other classes of treatment classed as “low value” because they are ineffective or could easily be bought over the counter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/21/nhs-ban-homeopathy-herbal-medicine-misuse-resources/

Back to top Go down

NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources' Empty Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:25 pm

I didn't even know you could get that stuff on the NHS. I'm tired of people running to the docs to get a prescription for stuff they could just buy themselves. Mind you, you can get folic acid via prescription.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources' Empty Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Need to remove lots of 'treatments' from NHS...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Interesting Tommy and agree. What else though, do you think needs to be removed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I didn't even know you could get that stuff on the NHS. I'm tired of people running to the docs to get a prescription for stuff they could just buy themselves. Mind you, you can get folic acid via prescription.

I actually did not know myself Rags and was quite surprised this was paid for on the NHS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Thorin wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Interesting Tommy and agree. What else though, do you think needs to be removed?

They need to stop giving you those ugly pills for a start!!!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Thorin wrote:

lol!

I know. The damn things never work mate. As I am still a hunk.   Laughing

Wish they could find a cure for my perfection.

lol!

You really never thought that one through did you?  Ha ha ha

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:28 pm

They have been working alright... one of the side effects is you think they arent...!!!

Laughing

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

They have been working alright... one of the side effects is you think they arent...!!!

Laughing

How could they be working Tommy when they are ugly pills?   Laughing

All people need is a bottle of JD to cure looking at your ugliness?   Razz

Or the fact I would need pills to make me ugly?    lol!

Your prescription of pills to help your jealousy has just been approved by the NHS.

You are now going to get them for free.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Like Rags I didn't know you got them on the NHS. I've always bought them.

What I think is ridiculous is getting Paracetamol on prescription, they're only 16p in Asda. Such a misuse of funds.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:38 pm

magica wrote:Like Rags I didn't know you got them on the NHS. I've always bought them.

What I think is ridiculous is getting Paracetamol on prescription, they're only 16p in Asda. Such a misuse of funds.

Yes, nobody should be getting a prescription for paracetamol. You can get a prescription for paracetamol and codeine, but it's high strength and it wouldn't be suitable for over-the-counter sales.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
magica wrote:Like Rags I didn't know you got them on the NHS. I've always bought them.

Yes, nobody should be getting a prescription for paracetamol. You can get a prescription for paracetamol and codeine, but it's high strength and it wouldn't be suitable for over-the-counter sales.

Some Chemists are very good Rags. My double base cream is far cheaper than the NHS charge and I am only charged the actual cost.

Hence go to a local Chemist and not a chain like Boots.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Some Chemists are very good Rags. My double base cream is far cheaper than the NHS charge and I am only charged the actual cost.

I was once prescribed some eye drops, but they were cheaper over the counter. Obviously, the people getting stuff like paracetamol on prescription are those who never pay for prescriptions anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:44 pm

The only thing I get on prescription is Quinine for leg cramps...if I could buy them over the counter I gladly would.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Syl wrote:The only thing I get on prescription is Quinine for leg cramps...if I could buy them over the counter I gladly would.

There are things like folic acid and codeine which are on prescription, but only because you can't buy them in high strength, and some people need a higher dose. Otherwise, they should just be told to pay.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Thorin wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

lol!

lol!

Ahhh... I remember now... you're taking the pills for ugly people, that make you think you're hot stuff...!

Laughing
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Thorin wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Lots of things are cheaper to buy directly than pay prescription charges.
Though tbh everytime I am in a chemist most people don't bother to pay anyway......odd when they look quite affluent are not under or over the age where prescriptions are free...and certainly don't look pregnant...specially the men.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:The only thing I get on prescription is Quinine for leg cramps...if I could buy them over the counter I gladly would.

There are things like folic acid and codeine which are on prescription, but only because you can't buy them in high strength, and some people need a higher dose. Otherwise, they should just be told to pay.

I dont know about folic acid but why not just buy normal strength pain killers and double up?
Not that I'm suggesting anyone should do that.

Last edited by Syl on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Thorin wrote:

lol!

Ahhh... I remember now... you're taking the pills for ugly people, that make you think you're hot stuff...!

Laughing

Sorry Tommy, it was bad enough when you screwed up the first time, the second was even worse.

To now have to try and explain your joke when it went backfired after screwing up, reeks of desperation.

lol!

Keep taking your insecurity pills buddy... cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Though tbh everytime I am in a chemist most people don't bother to pay anyway......odd when they look quite affluent are not under or over the age where prescriptions are free...and certainly don't look pregnant...specially the men.

Many people get free prescriptions. Some are way too expensive. So it works the other way also.

The point is a good chemist will never charge you the NHS charge rate, when they know the product is far cheaper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I know! I don't think I've ever seen more than one or two people actually pay for a prescription.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm sure no one has ever taken ugly pills on here....no one needs them. lol!
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I was once prescribed some eye drops, but they were cheaper over the counter. Obviously, the people getting stuff like paracetamol on prescription are those who never pay for prescriptions anyway.

I agree rags, its wrong. Did you not ask to pay the rate it cost?

I am very sure if you do and know the actual retail price, that you only then need pay that?

I could be wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I dont know about folic acid but why not just buy normal strength pain killers and double up?

because that is a good way to poison yourself
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Syl wrote:I'm sure no one has ever taken ugly pills on here....no one needs them. lol!

Laughing

Indeed Syl, Tommy did a right own-goal with that gaff.

Bless him

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I am very sure if you do and know the actual retail price, that you only then need pay that?

I could be wrong.

Oh yes, the pharmacist told me they were cheaper over the counter, so I just bought them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Because the amount of paracetamol is the same, so you'd overdose on paracetamol if you doubled up.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I could be wrong.

Oh yes, the pharmacist told me they were cheaper over the counter, so I just bought them.

Some things you cannot get over the counter Rags, though are still cheaper. Like the cream I use. Have you ever checked the retail price on any prescription drug you used, that you could not buy over the counter?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Some things you cannot get over the counter Rags, though are still cheaper. Like the cream I use. Have you ever checked the retail price on any prescription drug you used?

The main drug I take isn't available without a prescription anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Syl wrote:

because that is a good way to poison yourself

So....this is why I never qualified as a medic then. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Because the amount of paracetamol is the same, so you'd overdose on paracetamol if you doubled up.

I sometimes take a double dose of painkillers if I have a bad pain....not often though, and so far I am still here.
Never paracetamol though....they have never ever helped me with aches and pains though some people swear by them.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Some things you cannot get over the counter Rags, though are still cheaper. Like the cream I use. Have you ever checked the retail price on any prescription drug you used?

Have you checked the retail price Rags?

You could be paying more than you need to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I wouldn't buy it online if that's what you mean. Besides, it has to be monitored so it needs to be by prescription.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I wouldn't buy it online if that's what you mean. Besides, it has to be monitored so it needs to be by prescription.

I mean about challenging what you pay at the chemist, if it was cheaper retail?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's not available except on prescription. I have a pre-payment card anyway, and I get more than one prescription, so it works out quite well.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

It's not available except on prescription. I have a pre-payment card anyway, and I get more than one prescription, so it works out quite well.

There is a way to find out the retail cost that the NHS pays Rags.

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I didn't even know you could get that stuff on the NHS. I'm tired of people running to the docs to get a prescription for stuff they could just buy themselves. Mind you, you can get folic acid via prescription.

I actually did not know myself Rags and was quite surprised this was paid for on the NHS.
Idea

Folic acid is not an alternative medicine, per se...

Folic acid deficiency in pregnant women is recognised as a leading cause of neural tube defects in newborn/unborn babies..

In the right situations, certain treatments can be justified.

"Homeopathic" and "Naturopathic" treatments, however, don't come into this area --  both are outright scams with zero evidence of any efficacy..  Both those 'modalities' are outright scams, and your NHS probably wouldn't have looked at them without the Royal family's use of "Homeopathy"...

"Herbalism" , massage, osteopathy and "Traditional Chinese Medicine" treatments should be taken on a 'case-by-case' basis for possible coverage by some private health covers (where if people pay extra, they get extra..), as some have been shown to be useful in particular circumstances..

None of them should be covered by NHS/Medicaire on a general basis though, either,  as that could be seen as an outright waste of limited funds.

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that I should tell the pharmacist that he should sell it to me cheaper or something? He has to do what it says on the prescription.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Idea

Folic acid deficiency in pregnant women is recognised as a leading cause of neural tube defects in newborn/unborn babies..

"Homeopathic" and "Naturopathic" treatments, however, don't come into this area --  both are outright scams with zero evidence of any efficacy..  Both those 'modalities' are outright scams, and your NHS probably wouldn't have looked at them without the Royal family's use of "Homeopathy"...

"Herbalism" , massage, osteopathy and "Traditional Chinese Medicine" treatments should be taken on a 'case-by-case' basis for possible coverage by some private health covers, as some have been shown to be useful in particular circumstances..

None of them should be covered by NHS/Medicaire on a general basis though, either,  as that could be seen as an outright waste of limited funds.

Now this is a subject posters should listen to wolf on. As he knows miles more than me on.

Great post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Idea

"Herbalism" , massage, osteopathy and "Traditional Chinese Medicine" treatments should be taken on a 'case-by-case' basis for possible coverage by some private health covers, as some have been shown to be useful in particular circumstances..

Yes, but you can buy folic acid supplements. It would depend how much you have to take of course.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that I should tell the pharmacist that he should sell it to me cheaper or something? He has to do what it says on the prescription.

Again my double base is cheaper retail price. If I paid prescription price, its far more expensive. I pay retail price for this. Hence why its good to check Rags.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Didge... are you saying that if you go to the chemist to pick up prescription meds, that if the cost of these prescription only meds is less than the 8.50 quid scrpt, then you can get the meds for the lower price rather than pay the scrpt price of 8.50 quid...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Didge... are you saying that if you go to the chemist to pick up prescription meds, that if the cost of these prescription only meds is less than the 8.50 quid scrpt, then you can get the meds for the lower price rather than pay the scrpt price of 8.50 quid...?

Yep

I do when I purchase my double base cream. I learnt this from my chemist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Again my double base is cheaper retail price. If I paid prescription price, its far more expensive. I pay retail price for this. Hence why its good to check Rags.

But can you get it over the counter anyway?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Didge... are you saying that if you go to the chemist to pick up prescription meds, that if the cost of these prescription only meds is less than the 8.50 quid scrpt, then you can get the meds for the lower price rather than pay the scrpt price of 8.50 quid...?

You can if the medicines can be sold over the counter without prescription....just pay normally.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

But can you get it over the counter anyway?
Only on prescription.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Syl wrote:

You can if the medicines can be sold over the counter without prescription....just pay normally.

Yes, but I was talking about drugs which are not available without a prescription.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yes, but I was talking about drugs which are not available without a prescription.

Pass then.....I thought if a drug was not available over the counter one would have to pay the full prescription charge.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

This cream is not available without a prescription rags

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

This cream is not available without a prescription rags

Well then I don't understand how you can pay less for it. If the pharmacist fills the prescription, he would have to charge the prescription price.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next