NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixty-eight flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to Grenfell Tower families

+5
Raggamuffin
nicko
magica
eddie
HoratioTarr
9 posters

Go down

Sixty-eight flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to Grenfell Tower families Empty Sixty-eight flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to Grenfell Tower families

Post by Guest Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:26 pm

A number of Grenfell Tower families are to be housed in a £2bn luxury development, which boasts a private cinema and swimming pool.

Brand-new flats in a Kensington High Street development have been bought for those who lost their homes in the blaze, according to the Evening Standard.

The price of private flats in the block starts at £1.5m.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/21/sixty-eight-flats-2bn-luxury-kensington-block-given-grenfell/

Back to top Go down

Sixty-eight flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to Grenfell Tower families Empty Re: Sixty-eight flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to Grenfell Tower families

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Good news, but might cause a bit of sour grapes for the rest of the people living in the remaining high rise.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Sixty-eight flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to Grenfell Tower families Empty Re: Sixty-eight flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to Grenfell Tower families

Post by Guest Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:35 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:Good news, but might cause a bit of sour grapes for the rest of the people living in the remaining high rise.

What i was wondering is how they will decide who get these flats?

Not sure on the numbers, is this enough to rehouse everyone?

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Thorin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:Good news, but might cause a bit of sour grapes for the rest of the people living in the remaining high rise.

Depends on how many families, I guess. You may have a family of four or five. How many flats were there in that high rise?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:57 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Depends on how many families, I guess.   You may have a family of four or five.   How many flats were there in that high rise?

127 Flats.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

They won't get to stay there - I'd put all my money on that.....poor people in luxury apartments? Don't think so. They'll be shipped out before they've had a chance to unpack their boxes.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Thorin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Depends on how many families, I guess.   You may have a family of four or five.   How many flats were there in that high rise?

127 Flats.

one has to consider how many people died though.   Could be the top 30 or so flats nobody survived.  But that still might leave it short.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Says in the Mail that 250 people will be housed there. I thought 600 people lived in that tower block? So if 79 died, so far, that leaves 271 who either survived or a number that are dead but unaccounted for.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:33 pm

They won't be staying there, I bet its an interim place until they find elsewhere.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:59 pm

If my house burnt down, will the government give me £5.500 and a rent free posh flat ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 pm

nicko wrote:If my house burnt down,   will the government give me £5.500 and a rent free posh flat ?

No chance Razz
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 pm

I wonder how many faulty exploding fridges might just go off....
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:17 pm

What about the rest of the homeless people who have to live on the street?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:07 pm

All they should be given is temporary accommodation until they can be housed in other council places as and when it becomes available, and based on existing priority system of needs...

Those willing to accept housing in other areas may well get housed sooner than others who want to remain in borough...

What I find amazing is how so many 'highly skilled, hard working and well needed' foreigners are able to turn up in central london and get council housing in the first place...!?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Give 'em tents in a LOCAL park till it's sorted out.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

All they should be given is temporary accommodation until they can be housed in other council places as and when it becomes available, and based on existing priority system of needs...

I agree, but perhaps not for the same reason...they don't just need houses or parking places. They lost furniture and clothing, housewares, etc. They need hotels or temporary accommodations.

In the US, our Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) maintains house trailers and mobile homes that can be put into place in times of emergency. Those are the facilities you see after a hurricane or tornado has hit an area.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 pm

I wonder how many were insured.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Syl wrote:I wonder how many were insured.

Good question. I bet not many. It's not a priority when you're skint.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:48 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

Good question.   I bet not many.   It's not a priority when you're skint.

Who says they were skint? Those flats cost a lot to rent.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

They're council flats. They'll be the cheapest way to rent in London.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 pm

I bet the building was insured though...

The council can only give out housing from the housing stock they have, and then only when it becomes available as existing residents leave them...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

If you could afford two grand a month for accommodation, would you live in that high rise? I don't think so. If however the state paid for it, you probably would.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 am

I imagine many were receiving housing benefits anyway, so the actual cost of the rents would be immaterial.

If any properties are empty and available in the area I think the residents of Grenfell tower should be rehoused there. I don't think cost should come into it at this time.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:03 am

The only article so far ive seen to mention rent costs was quills op on other thread... and that was in dollars, not pound sterling... and the picture wasnt even right...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 am

Tommy Monk wrote:The only article so far ive seen to mention rent costs was quills op on other thread... and that was in dollars, not pound sterling... and the picture wasnt even right...

Soz about that...I'll change the picture if it bothers anyone. In the US, every project must set aside certain rentals for Section 8 housing...that's subsidized housing. The landlord gets as much per unit, but the Federal government pays the lion's share. Of course, Section 8 recipients must qualify on the basis of low income and little property. There are some projects--really nice ones--that are totally Section 8, as well. Perhaps Grenfell Block is/was one of those.

Emergency housing comes complete with kitchenware and bedding, towels, brooms, mops, soap, etc., etc., because these people are without their complete life...not just a roof, but everything. A lot of times they use outfitted shipping containers on a temporary basis. Right now, that's what those displaced by this fire are needing.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 am

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

They're council flats. They'll be the cheapest way to rent in London.

They're still expensive though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:12 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

If you could afford  two grand a month for accommodation, would you live in that high rise?   I don't think so.   If however the state paid for it, you probably would.

Well I wouldn't, but apparently some of the tenants had bought their flats, so they must like them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:59 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

If you could afford  two grand a month for accommodation, would you live in that high rise?   I don't think so.   If however the state paid for it, you probably would.

Well I wouldn't, but apparently some of the tenants had bought their flats, so they must like them.

Like I said, mortgages are generally cheaper per month than rents. And if those flats are council owned then they'll be getting a bargain. Could be they bought them way back in the 80s when they cost next to nothing.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 am

Residents of the luxury development in Kensington, in which Grenfell families are due to be rehoused, have been criticised after voicing their anger and unease over the move.

Speaking to The Guardian, one woman said: “We paid a lot of money to live here, and we worked hard for it.

“Now these people are going to come along, and they won’t even be paying the service charge.”

Another said: "I’m very sad that people have lost their homes, but there are a lot of people here who have bought flats and will now see the values drop.

"It will degrade things. And it opens up a can of worms in the housing market."

And a local added: "North Kensington is not this Kensington. They should be in a place where they are happy, but not here. I don’t want them here."

However, one resident, called AJ, was supportive of the decision.

He said: "It was dreadful, I had friends living there. We gave stuff, and went up and helped for a couple days last week.

“In my eyes everyone should be equal.”

People have been angered by this response. One Twitter user wrote: "This disgraceful attitude comes from a society where people are conditioned to take as much as possible rather than give what you can".

Left-wing columnist Owen Jones suggested: "Nationalise everything these people own please".

Another Twitter user said: "I just can't believe how heartless this is".

Yesterday it was announced that brand-new flats in a Kensington High Street development have been bought for those who lost their homes in the blaze.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/22/luxury-flat-owners-criticised-unease-grenfell-families-moving/

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Good now the rich toffs know how we feel when they're moved down our streets. They say bring them over, but not in their street.

They wouldn't have moaned if they were put in a council street.

Anyhow they won't be there long, they're not flats, more bed sits.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 pm

These are the days of the open hand
They will not be the last
Look around now
These are the days of the beggars and the choosers

This is the year of the hungry man
Whose place is in the past
Hand in hand with ignorance
And legitimate excuses

The rich declare themselves poor
And most of us are not sure
If we have too much
But we'll take our chances
Coz God's stopped keeping score.
I guess somewhere along the way
He must have let us all out to play
Turned his back on all God's children
Crept out the back door

And it's hard to love, there's so much to hate
Hanging on to hope
When there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above say it's much much too late
Well, maybe we should all be praying for time

These are the days of the empty hand
Oh, you hold on to what you can
And charity is a coat you wear twice a year

This is the year of the guilty man
Your television takes a stand
And you find that what was over there is over here

So you scream from behind your door
Say "what's mine is mine and not yours"
I may have too much but I'll take my chances
'coz god's stopped keeping score
And you cling to the things they sold you
Did you cover your eyes when they told you
That he can't come back
'coz he has no children to come back for

It's hard to love there's so much to hate
Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above say it's much too late
So maybe we should all be praying for time
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:50 pm

That seems very relevant in todays world...did you compose that?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Syl wrote:That seems very relevant in todays world...did you compose that?

George Michael...

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks, didn't know that one.
He was a brilliant songwriter and singer, he also did so much for charities, and he did it all quietly without fuss.
Sadly missed. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Everyone seems to take more than they need really.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:39 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Like I said, mortgages are generally cheaper per month than rents.   And if those flats are council owned then they'll be getting a bargain.   Could be they bought them way back in the 80s when they cost next to nothing.

Well then you have to ask yourself if someone who can't afford £2000 a month rent is actually "poor". I don't know anyone who could afford that, and I'm not talking about poor people.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Like I said, mortgages are generally cheaper per month than rents.   And if those flats are council owned then they'll be getting a bargain.   Could be they bought them way back in the 80s when they cost next to nothing.

Well then you have to ask yourself if someone who can't afford £2000 a month rent is actually "poor". I don't know anyone who could afford that, and I'm not talking about poor people.

Well, if you're on benefits, it won't cost you anything. If they're council owned. So it won't matter how poor you are.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:07 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well, if you're on benefits, it won't cost you anything.   If they're council owned.   So it won't matter how poor you are.

We don't know that they were all on benefits though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Well, if you're on benefits, it won't cost you anything.   If they're council owned.   So it won't matter how poor you are.

We don't know that they were all on benefits though.

It's my bet most of them were.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Does it all matter

there is a (desperate) need, and those flats fill that need....

therefore use them....seems like a few "i'm alright jacks" are about to get a dose of reality,,,,
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:38 pm

LF said

...seems like a few "i'm alright jacks" are about to get a dose of reality,,,,

They are about to get a dose of 'cultural enrichment'...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down