NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals

4 posters

Go down

Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Empty Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals

Post by Guest Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Amos N. Guiora is Professor of Law at the S.J. Quinney College of Law, the University of Utah and Lieutenant Colonel (Ret.) in the Israel Defense Forces. His latest book is The Crime of Complicity: The Bystander in the Holocaust (2017).

Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  165943-kjsndvfdgv

My new book, The Crime of Complicity: The Bystander in the Holocaust, is a personal journey exploring my parents’ Holocaust experiences. My mother survived the war hiding in a Budapest attic; my father survived both a mining-work camp in Yugoslavia (Bor) and a forced march from which he escaped when Tito’s partisans ambushed the German soldiers.

In addition to researching how they survived, something I knew very little of as a child, the book addresses the role of the bystander – in particular, the complicity of the bystander. I firmly believe that bystander non-intervention enhances victim vulnerability and facilitates perpetrator evil. It is for that reason that I advocate legislation criminalizing bystander non-intervention and am working with a member of the Utah legislature in this effort.

Non-intervention is a conscious decision. The bystander, to meet my proposed definition, must know the victim is in distress and be in a position to alert the proper authorities. There is no need for actual, physical intervention. Innumerable reasons are proffered as to “why not.” I, too, have been guilty of this. I have excuses, none particularly compelling or convincing.

The bystander is a recurring theme in history. The consequences are inevitably tragic. To wit: Pictures of lynchings graphically and convincingly illustrate crowds, enjoying their picnics, surrounded by their children as an African American is brutally murdered. While those iconic and infamous pictures also show the local sheriff casually observing mob rule, my focus is not on individuals in positions of power. They are not bystanders; they are guilty of other crimes including dereliction of duty, if not accomplices to murder.

For a previous writing project, I interviewed a distinguished academic whose beloved grandfather participated in lynchings. She explained to me that her grandfather adored her; she adored him. However, when the truth of his past came to her attention she was repulsed. I assume her anger would be mitigated had he been “in the crowd” watching others murder a fellow citizen.

While researching my present book, I met with children of bystanders who watched the Jews of Maastricht in the Netherlands make their way to the train station to be deported. One was adamant that her father bore no guilt as “he could do nothing”; the second was overcome with emotion when realizing her father’s inaction was akin to that of the bystander. She recalled in painstaking detail taking leave of her Jewish classmates and neighbors who were murdered in Auschwitz. Their faces adorn her kitchen wall.

The same cruel fate awaited my paternal grandparents. Their walk from home to the train station was, as I have come to learn, marked by taunting, hitting, jeering by their soon-to-be erstwhile neighbors. Not one offered solace or assistance. The same combination of taunting accompanied my father as he and three other liberated prisoners walked 136 km to safety in the dead of winter. No one offered them provisions. I offer this not to suggest that Yugoslav (they walked through present-day Serbia to Bulgaria) villagers were responsible for their travail but rather to present a compelling historical story from which we can learn much. Simply put: one of the profound lessons I learned while researching this book is that the evil of the Nazis was facilitated by the millions of bystanders. For me, that is not an abstract concept; rather, it is concrete and personal.

The idiom of failing to learn from history is oft-repeated, yet, tragically, not always applied. The book talks I have given since the book’s release have been marked by three important patterns:

● A remarkably wide range of attendees’ ages, 15 to 85 years old
● Powerful questions regarding the bystander today
● Painful sharing of family Holocaust stories

I have been asked whether the current American political climate was “in the back of my mind” when writing my book. The answer is a loud and resounding “NO.” I am not a prophet. However, I do believe that we—individually and collectively—must ask ourselves two questions: what do learn from the consequences of bystander non-intervention 75 years ago and how is that lesson to be applied in 2017?

For me, the answers are remarkably clear and simple: To minimize, if not prevent a recurrence—regardless of degree—we must engage each other and our leaders in a loud, consistent manner in accordance with the finest and time-honored manner of a civic and civil democracy. Exercising the right to vote is obvious (failure to do so is unacceptable); speaking truth to power is essential; understanding that today’s bystander is tomorrow’s victim is a theme that repeats itself; and most importantly that we owe a legal duty to intervene on behalf of another human in distress.

On June 14, 2016, I re-traced my grandparents’ horrible walk of May 26, 1944. I did so with the invaluable assistance of a Hungarian genealogist. My emotions ran the expected gamut. However, the OVERWHELMING emotion was: how could it be that NO ONE offered any assistance. That is the essence of the bystander. That same powerful, overwhelming emotion would be, I am convinced, akin to what descendants of an innocent American strung to a tree would feel were they to visit the spot where their relative was brutally murdered.
With those two awful visions in my mind, I am convinced that the effort to legislate bystander non-intervention is the obvious lesson history offers.

- See more at: http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/165943#sthash.Q1qX1Gd2.dpuf

Back to top Go down

Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Empty Re: Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 am

Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  JGt1XUM
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Empty Re: Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals

Post by Guest Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 am

That has to be the most dumbest thing I have read in ages. As you can easily attribute the Characteristics that made Hitler an abomination. He was cruel, a narcissist, controlling, judgmental, hateful, racist, homophobic, abliest among many other things.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:29 am

but he was also kind to German children and dogs. He loved Germany and his wife and dogs.
he was no more homophobic and/or racist then many people alive today.
and he was no more narcissist, controlling and judgmental than you or me if we had the power

He was BUT A MAN and it is not monsters but people that make bad things happen, like when they get all 'Crusader' about their views on religion and morality.
The Irony is that those that wish to make out like it is a monster and not a human trait that causes war and suffering are that are those most 'failing to learn from history'
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:33 am

veya_victaous wrote:but he was also kind to German children and dogs. He loved Germany and his wife and dogs.
and he was no more narcissist, controlling and judgmental than you or me if we had the power

He was BUT A MAN and it is not monsters but people that make bad things happen, like when they get all 'Crusader' about their views on religion and morality.
The Irony is that those that wish to make out like it is a monster and not a human trait that causes war and suffering are that are those most 'failing to learn from history'

He was kind to dogs was he?

Is that why he tested the cyanide that he wanted to use on himself on his dog Blondi and had her puppies puppies, killed Eva Brauns two dogs also?

Does that seem like an animal lover to you?

Wow, so he had to go down as the most racist and homophobic in history as he murdered many people due to this. That makes him far more racist and homophobic due to the lengths he went to eradicate people. Nobody has even come close to replicating such hate. Where you may find people today racist and homophobic, but many do not actively murder people

So stop diverting my thread with your apologist stance on Hitler and understand how this is about those who stand by idol and do nothing when for example Islamic extremists murder people in say Syria

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:39 pm

'OUR demand is that, once and for all there must be an end to animal exploitation. We still find ourselves in a desert of brutality as well as sadism. Vivisection must be viewed as a criminal activity."

Adolf Hitler

On August 28, 1933, Göring announced in a radio broadcast:[13]

An absolute and permanent ban on vivisection is not only a necessary law to protect animals and to show sympathy with their pain, but it is also a law for humanity itself.... I have therefore announced the immediate prohibition of vivisection and have made the practice a punishable offence in Prussia. Until such time as punishment is pronounced the culprit shall be lodged in a concentration camp.

Ironic, huh? But the question must be asked whether this was just words or whether it was actually fully implemented.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 pm

he Nazi Animal Protection Movement

It was my fault. I used the Nazi animal protection movement to illustrate how a culture can twist human moral values in weird and tragic ways. I first became aware of the extent that Third Reich leaders were concerned with animal suffering when I read an article (here) by Arnold Arluke and Boria Sax.

Remarkably, as soon as the Nazi Party came to power in 1933, they began to enact scores of animal protection laws, some of which are still operative in Germany. (See here for the 1933 legislation.) For example, in Nazi Germany, people who mistreated their pets could be sentenced to two years in jail. The Nazis banned the production of foie gras and docking the ears and tails of dogs without anesthesia, and they severely restricted invasive animal research. The Nazi Party established the first laws insuring that animal used in films were not mistreated and also mandated humane slaughter procedures for food animals and for the euthanasia of terminally ill pets. (The Nazis were particularly concerned with the suffering of lobsters in restaurants). In addition, the German government established nature preserves, a school curriculum for the humane treatment of animals, and they hosted one of the first international conferences on animal protection.

While concern for animal suffering was not universal among the Nazi hierarchy, Arluke and Sax convincingly argue that pro-animal sentiment was widespread. In 1933, Hermann Göring announced he would "commit to concentration camps those who still think they can treat animals as property." The feared Heinrich Himmler once asked his doctor, who was a hunter, "How can you find pleasure, Herr Kerstein, in shooting from behind at poor creatures browsing on the edge of a wood...It is really murder." Sax chronicles many other examples in his fascinating book Animals In the Third Reich: Pets, Scapegoats, And The Holocaust.

Perhaps the most chilling episode in the bizarre annals of Nazi animal protectionism was a 1942 law banning pet-keeping by Jews. As a result, dogs and cats owned by Jews were rounded up and humanely euthanized according to the German regulations pertaining to pets. But unlike their companion animals, Jews themselves were not covered under the humane slaughter legislation.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animals-and-us/201111/was-hitler-vegetarian-the-paradox-the-nazi-animal-protection-movement
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Blondi played a role in Nazi propaganda by portraying Hitler as an animal lover. Dogs like Blondi were coveted as "germanischer Urhunde", being close to the wolf, and became very fashionable during the Third Reich.[5] Blondi died from poison; Hitler ordered his physician, Dr. Stumpfegger, to kill her. According to Albert Speer, Hitler killed Blondi because he feared that the Russians would capture and torture her after overrunning the bunker.

Death of Blondi and other dogs[edit]
During the course of 29 April 1945, Hitler learned of the death of his ally Benito Mussolini at the hands of Italian partisans. This, along with the fact the Soviet Red Army was closing in on his location, strengthened Hitler in his resolve not to allow himself or his wife to be captured. That afternoon, Hitler expressed doubts about the cyanide capsules he had received through Heinrich Himmler's SS.[22] This was because by this point Hitler regarded Himmler as a traitor, and he feared that the capsules were in fact sedatives. To verify the capsules' contents, Hitler—who already intended to have Blondi killed so that she did not fall into the hands of the Russians[23]—ordered Dr. Werner Haase to test one on Blondi, and the dog died as a result.[24] Hitler became completely inconsolable.[25]

According to a report commissioned by Joseph Stalin and based on eyewitness accounts, Hitler's dog-handler Feldwebel Fritz Tornow took Blondi's pups and shot them in the garden of the bunker complex on 30 April, after Hitler and Eva Braun committed suicide. He also killed Eva Braun's two dogs, Frau Gerda Christian's dogs, and his own dachshund. Tornow was later captured by the Allies.[26] Hitler's nurse, Erna Flegel, said in 2005 that Blondi's death had affected the people in the bunker more than Eva Braun's suicide.[27] After the battle in Berlin ended, the remains of Hitler, Braun, and two dogs (thought to be Blondi and her offspring Wulf) were discovered in a shell crater by a unit of SMERSH, the Soviet counter-intelligence agency.[28][29] The dog thought to be Blondi was exhumed and photographed by the Soviets.[30]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blondi
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Here is Blondi and Hitler. Watch the last section, that dog is cowering. It's body language totally submissive. Doesn't look like a dog that's happy or loved to be honest.

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:26 pm

veya_victaous wrote:but he was also kind to German children and dogs. He loved Germany and his wife and dogs.

He was but a man?   What man perpetrates this? This is inhuman.

On 2 July 1942, most of the children of Lidice, a small village in what was then Czechoslovakia, were handed over to the Łódź Gestapo office. Those 82 children were then transported to the extermination camp at Chełmno 70 kilometers away. There they were gassed to death. This remarkable sculpture by by Marie Uchytilová commemorates them. Yet what had they (and their families) done to warrant such an end?
Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Lidice+children+scultpure+massacre
Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Lidice+children+scultpure+massacre+3
The events leading to their death were complex but the pivotal moment had been the assassination of the Acting Reichsprotektor of the Nazi Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, Reinhard Heydrich. Czechoslovakia had been occupied by Nazi Germany since the April of 1939 and Heydrich was a greatly detested figure of oppressive authority. He was attacked by a British trained team of Czech and Slovak soldiers. From the moment of his death a week later on June 4, 1942, from septicemia caused by his injuries, the whole country knew there would be reprisals. Nothing, however, could prepare them for the horror that was to come.

203 women and 105 children were at first taken to the village school.  They were taken from there to another school in the nearby town of Kladno. Four of the women were pregnant. They were taken to the same hospital where Heydrich had died and their babies were forcibly aborted. Most of the women were taken to the Ravensbruck concentration camp where a number perished through disease.

Seventy years ago to this day (2 July) the remaining 82 children were handed over to the Gestapo. From there they were taken to the Chelmno extermination camp where they were gassed. Out of the 105 children of Lidice, only 17 children ever returned to their village. 153 women made the return,  formerly wives and mothers, now mostly widows without children.
Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Lidice+children+scultpure+massacre+4

No one will ever know if anyone wept as these children perished, far away from home and their mothers and fathers. Yet, after a manner, the children, those slaughtered innocents, returned and will forever inhabit Lidice. The 82 bronze statues, 40 boys and 42 girls, stand as an everlasting reminder of the massacre.  The children of Lidice are home where they belong.
Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Lidice+children+scultpure+massacre+6
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:04 pm

"HE WAS BUT A MAN" How can you describe a man? who thinks this.

Fucking unbelievable.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 pm

I watched a film about Albert Speer - Inside the Third Reich - and I must say that the way his wife was portrayed was highly annoying. She spent a lot of time being horrified at the treatment of Jews in the street, and demanding to go home every time she saw something unpleasant. She spent the rest of the time having tea parties. She was supposed to be the "good" person in the film, but she was a bystander who did absolutely nothing, which kind of made her worse IMO.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I watched a film about Albert Speer - Inside the Third Reich - and I must say that the way his wife was portrayed was highly annoying. She spent a lot of time being horrified at the treatment of Jews in the street, and demanding to go home every time she saw something unpleasant. She spent the rest of the time having tea parties. She was supposed to be the "good" person in the film, but she was a bystander who did absolutely nothing, which kind of made her worse IMO.

Hit the nail on the head as to what the book is saying Rags

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:59 am

HoratioTarr wrote:

He was but a man?   What man perpetrates this?  This is inhuman.

On 2 July 1942, most of the children of Lidice, a small village in what was then Czechoslovakia, were handed over to the Łódź Gestapo office. Those 82 children were then transported to the extermination camp at Chełmno 70 kilometers away. There they were gassed to death. This remarkable sculpture by by Marie Uchytilová commemorates them. Yet what had they (and their families) done to warrant such an end?
Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Lidice+children+scultpure+massacre
Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Lidice+children+scultpure+massacre+3
The events leading to their death were complex but the pivotal moment had been the assassination of the Acting Reichsprotektor of the Nazi Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, Reinhard Heydrich. Czechoslovakia had been occupied by Nazi Germany since the April of 1939 and Heydrich was a greatly detested figure of oppressive authority. He was attacked by a British trained team of Czech and Slovak soldiers. From the moment of his death a week later on June 4, 1942, from septicemia caused by his injuries, the whole country knew there would be reprisals. Nothing, however, could prepare them for the horror that was to come.

203 women and 105 children were at first taken to the village school.  They were taken from there to another school in the nearby town of Kladno. Four of the women were pregnant. They were taken to the same hospital where Heydrich had died and their babies were forcibly aborted. Most of the women were taken to the Ravensbruck concentration camp where a number perished through disease.

Seventy years ago to this day (2 July) the remaining 82 children were handed over to the Gestapo. From there they were taken to the Chelmno extermination camp where they were gassed. Out of the 105 children of Lidice, only 17 children ever returned to their village. 153 women made the return,  formerly wives and mothers, now mostly widows without children.
Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Lidice+children+scultpure+massacre+4

No one will ever know if anyone wept as these children perished, far away from home and their mothers and fathers. Yet, after a manner, the children, those slaughtered innocents, returned and will forever inhabit Lidice. The 82 bronze statues, 40 boys and 42 girls, stand as an everlasting reminder of the massacre.  The children of Lidice are home where they belong.
Why It’s Vital We Remember the Bystanders to the Holocaust as well as the Criminals  Lidice+children+scultpure+massacre+6

Pol Pot,
Stalin
King George
King Charles (Spain)
Winston Church, caused thousands of Indian children to be starved to death
http://www.tehelka.com/2014/06/remembering-indias-forgotten-holocaust/
the Bengal Famine a “manmade holocaust” because Churchill’s policies were directly responsible for the disaster. Bengal had a bountiful harvest in 1942, but the British started diverting vast quantities of food grain from India to Britain, contributing to a massive food shortage in the areas comprising present-day West Bengal, Odisha, Bihar and Bangladesh.

Totally just a man
I mean some morons might even believe bullshit propaganda and call him a hero if history was different Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:36 am

OMG so now we know Veya is an apologist for Hitler

He is a hero to many in the Middle East today

Hitlers hate started in Vienna before WW1, because he simply could not being told his art was not good enough. Most people would not give up on their dreams of painting, he instead looked to blame others for his own failings. So Hitler caused and created his own hate. Nobody made Hitler the way he was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down