NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why It’s So Hard to Admit You’re Wrong

Go down

Why It’s So Hard to Admit You’re Wrong Empty Why It’s So Hard to Admit You’re Wrong

Post by Guest Fri May 26, 2017 5:55 am

Despite your best intentions and efforts, it is inevitable: At some point in your life, you will be wrong.
Mistakes can be hard to digest, so sometimes we double down rather than face them. Our confirmation bias kicks in, causing us to seek out evidence to prove what we already believe. The car you cut off has a small dent in its bumper, which obviously means that it is the other driver’s fault.

Psychologists call this cognitive dissonance  the stress we experience when we hold two contradictory thoughts, beliefs, opinions or attitudes. For example, you might believe you are a kind and fair person, so when you rudely cut someone off, you experience dissonance. To cope with it, you deny your mistake and insist the other driver should have seen you, or you had the right of way even if you didn’t.

“Cognitive dissonance is what we feel when the self-concept — I’m smart, I’m kind, I’m convinced this belief is true — is threatened by evidence that we did something that wasn’t smart, that we did something that hurt another person, that the belief isn’t true,” said Carol Tavris, a co-author of the book “Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me).”

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

SOURCE NEW YORK TIMES

Back to top Go down

Why It’s So Hard to Admit You’re Wrong Empty Re: Why It’s So Hard to Admit You’re Wrong

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 26, 2017 7:01 am

In an era where a candidate who assaults a reporter for asking a question wins his election, I think we all need to step back and realize we might not know everything.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Why It’s So Hard to Admit You’re Wrong Empty Re: Why It’s So Hard to Admit You’re Wrong

Post by Guest Fri May 26, 2017 7:33 am

Ben Reilly wrote:In an era where a candidate who assaults a reporter for asking a question wins his election, I think we all need to step back and realize we might not know everything.

There is many things people do not know, including myself.

My issue is how dangerous this view of being afraid of being wrong can turn violent, especially with those religious through the centuries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down