NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men ‘have bigger brains than women and higher IQs’, according to controversial study

2 posters

Go down

Men ‘have bigger brains than women and higher IQs’, according to controversial study Empty Men ‘have bigger brains than women and higher IQs’, according to controversial study

Post by Guest Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 pm

A controversial new study claims that men not only have bigger brains than women – but are actually more intelligent.

But not everyone is convinced by the new study – and other scientists suggest that while men do have bigger brains, women’s may be more efficient.

Researchers at Erasmus University, Rotterdam, used MRI scans to measure the brains of 875 volunteers – and found that men’s brains are 14% larger.

They found that women also scored on tests of general intelligence (by 3.75 on average) – although they perform better on memory tests.

Lead author Dr Dimitri van der Linden said: ‘We found that men’s brains are larger than women’s and our analysis suggests this is the reason for lower average general intelligence across a range of tests.
‘We are aware of previous research suggesting women’s brains are better organised or process information more efficiently but we did not look at this in our study.’

The measurements used in the study are also controversial.

Dr Joseph Devlin of University College London, said: ‘This is a well-researched study but the evidence is not strong enough to prove that larger male brains are more intelligent than smaller female brains, which makes it a leap of faith, using a measure of general intelligence which has little basis.

‘Men and women’s brains are different and we know spatial navigation is slightly better in men than women, while women tend to have a better vocabulary. But we should be sceptical of claims that men are smarter than women, especially when there is little to no evidence for that and lots of evidence to the contrary.’

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/men-bigger-brains-women-higher-iqs-according-controversial-study-091527432.html

Not convinced either by this study, as again many studies conflict with this and there seems little evidence to back the claim.

Back to top Go down

Men ‘have bigger brains than women and higher IQs’, according to controversial study Empty Re: Men ‘have bigger brains than women and higher IQs’, according to controversial study

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Another thing that should be kept in mind is that IQ doesn't mean nearly as much as society tends to make out.

Generally estimated to have the highest IQ among all U.S. presidents was John Q. Adams -- who was a wholly unremarkable president.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Men ‘have bigger brains than women and higher IQs’, according to controversial study Empty Re: Men ‘have bigger brains than women and higher IQs’, according to controversial study

Post by Guest Sat May 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Another thing that should be kept in mind is that IQ doesn't mean nearly as much as society tends to make out.

Generally estimated to have the highest IQ among all U.S. presidents was John Q. Adams -- who was a wholly unremarkable president.

Good point Ben and the fact IQ tests are not even a good measure of intelligence

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5959058/further-evidence-that-iq-does-not-measure-intelligence

http://listverse.com/2013/05/19/8-reasons-the-iq-is-meaningless/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9755929/IQ-tests-do-not-reflect-intelligence.html

Right, have to go, all the best

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 14, 2017 12:53 am

I think men have better brains for some things and their female counterparts are better for other types of intelligence.

It doesn't matter how much we try to obliterate the difference between sexes, there are still very distinct differences that will never really phase out.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 14, 2017 1:02 am

eddie wrote:I think men have better brains for some things and their female counterparts are better for other types of intelligence.

It doesn't matter how much we try to obliterate the difference between sexes, there are still very distinct differences that will never really phase out.

Maybe that is the problem Eddie, that people have continually maintained a difference.

A brother is physically different from his sister, they are very distinct difference visually, until you understand there is little differences. When you know they are siblings.
Distinct goes out of the window, as they are family.

There is no distinct difference in intelligence between men and women. 

Yet people look for them.

What you have to ask is why people are looking for them?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 14, 2017 1:09 am

I think the difference is nice. I like the fact that I have very distinct differences from a man, I don't need to be equal in all things either.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 14, 2017 1:13 am

eddie wrote:I think the difference is nice. I like the fact that I have very distinct differences from a man, I don't need to be equal in all things either.

Nobody is equal or should be, hence why I believe in all having equality under the law.
That all people should be treated equally, no matter who they are or what they believe in.
We are already very different from everyone else and hence why some people meet someone with similar tastes and why some other have opposite attracts.

So there is only one difference, the same we find elsewhere.

What we perceive this to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 14, 2017 2:20 am

Still, I think that celebrating our differences is sometimes more rewarding than struggling to be equal all the time.
In a weird kind of logic.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 14, 2017 8:27 am

eddie wrote:Still, I think that celebrating our differences is sometimes more rewarding than struggling to be equal all the time.
In a weird kind of logic.

I agree people should celebrate the differences as long as it does not lead to prejudice and discrimination.

My point is about treating people equally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down