NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Unnecessary' painkillers could leave thousands addicted, doctors warn

Go down

'Unnecessary' painkillers could leave thousands addicted, doctors warn Empty 'Unnecessary' painkillers could leave thousands addicted, doctors warn

Post by Guest Sat May 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Powerful and potentially addictive opiate painkillers are being handed out too readily, leading doctors have warned after it emerged that the number of times the drugs are being prescribed in the UK has doubled in the past decade.

The Faculty of Pain Medicine and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society said they were worried about the high and growing use of opioid drugs such as codeine and tramadol – while other experts warn that hundreds of thousands of patients could be addicted to them.

Dr Barry Miller, head of the Faculty of Pain Medicine, said that the increase in the prescription rates of painkillers in the UK should be “met with concern”, adding: “While some of the increase can be attributed to an improved understanding of the effectiveness of these medications by medical professionals, we are concerned by reports of unnecessary prescription.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/may/05/unnecessary-opioid-painkiller-prescriptions-thousands-addicted-nhs-doctors-warn

Back to top Go down

'Unnecessary' painkillers could leave thousands addicted, doctors warn Empty Re: 'Unnecessary' painkillers could leave thousands addicted, doctors warn

Post by Raggamuffin Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 pm

They just need to educate the users properly. I've been prescribed strong codeine tablets, which I did need, but I only took them if things were really bad. I do know people who take tramadol, and at least one of them is worried that he's addicted to it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'Unnecessary' painkillers could leave thousands addicted, doctors warn Empty Re: 'Unnecessary' painkillers could leave thousands addicted, doctors warn

Post by Guest Sat May 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:They just need to educate the users properly. I've been prescribed strong codeine tablets, which I did need, but  I only took them if things were really bad. I do know people who take tramadol, and at least one of them is worried that he's addicted to it.

I think its more than that rags. Some people do really become addictive, especially with drugs like diazepam, a controlled drug.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat May 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:They just need to educate the users properly. I've been prescribed strong codeine tablets, which I did need, but  I only took them if things were really bad. I do know people who take tramadol, and at least one of them is worried that he's addicted to it.

I think its more than that rags. Some people do really become addictive, especially with drugs like diazepam, a controlled drug.

Another drug which people take as if they're sweeties. Sometimes these drugs are necessary, but they need to be used with caution. Diazepam is a useful drug, but it doesn't need to be taken at the maximum dose, and it can be used as a last resort when all else fails. It works quickly so it doesn't need to be taken regularly in order to build up.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Another drug which people take as if they're sweeties. Sometimes these drugs are necessary, but they need to be used with caution. Diazepam is a useful drug, but it doesn't need to be taken at the maximum dose, and it can be used as a last resort when all else fails. It works quickly so it doesn't need to be taken regularly in order to build up.

I agree and have seen some people sadly become addictive to this drug.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat May 06, 2017 7:26 pm

I would have thought that not many doctors prescribe diazepam these days anyway.

Steroids are another problem - they have a good initial result, but they can be dangerous, and that includes topical steroids, which should never be used on the face really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I would have thought that not many doctors prescribe diazepam these days anyway.

Steroids are another problem - they have a good initial result, but they can be dangerous, and that includes topical steroids, which should never be used on the face really.

Doctors are fairly good on steroids to only prescribe as a short term course.

Whether that be for asthma or psoriasis for example

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat May 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I would have thought that not many doctors prescribe diazepam these days anyway.

Doctors are fairly good on steroids to only prescribe as a short term course.

Whether that be for asthma or psoriasis for example

Yes, I think they probably are. You can buy topical hydrocortisone over the counter though. Nobody ever seems to read the warnings before they use it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down