NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Candidate for Manchester mayor gives his manifesto completely in Urdu.

+5
HoratioTarr
Tommy Monk
magica
eddie
Syl
9 posters

Go down

Candidate for Manchester mayor gives his manifesto  completely in  Urdu. Empty Candidate for Manchester mayor gives his manifesto completely in Urdu.

Post by Syl Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 pm

What a liberty.  Rolling Eyes

Mohammed Aslam, who is an independent candidate for Greater Manchester ‘Metro Mayor’, appeared on the BBC News site’s “minute manifesto” series, in which each candidate is given one minute to spell out their policies.
However, the corporation appears to have had to dub over Mr Aslam’s speech after he delivered it in a foreign language.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39599289
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Candidate for Manchester mayor gives his manifesto  completely in  Urdu. Empty Re: Candidate for Manchester mayor gives his manifesto completely in Urdu.

Post by eddie Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Wonder why he felt that would work better? Perhaps it did...we pay more attention sometimes when we read what someone says. Maybe it was a smart move?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Candidate for Manchester mayor gives his manifesto  completely in  Urdu. Empty Re: Candidate for Manchester mayor gives his manifesto completely in Urdu.

Post by magica Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Probably can't speak English. If not, why is he a candidate for Manchester. scratch
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:42 pm

But he's just being multicultural and celebrating diversity and being proud of his cultural/ethnic identity...!?

Isn't he...!?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Syl wrote:What a liberty.  Rolling Eyes

Mohammed Aslam, who is an independent candidate for Greater Manchester ‘Metro Mayor’, appeared on the BBC News site’s “minute manifesto” series, in which each candidate is given one minute to spell out their policies.
However, the corporation appears to have had to dub over Mr Aslam’s speech after he delivered it in a foreign language.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39599289

RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 pm

He's hardly being 'inclusive'...!?

Or maybe the lefties will just say it's the English's fault for being racist and not bothering to learn how to speak urdu...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:He's hardly being 'inclusive'...!?

Or maybe the lefties will just say it's the English's fault for being racist and not bothering to learn how to speak urdu...!?

Last time I looked Manchester was in England!
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:27 pm

It's OK mags... we have plenty of taxpayer funded translators available...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 pm

eddie wrote:Wonder why he felt that would work better? Perhaps it did...we pay more attention sometimes when we read what someone says.  Maybe it was a smart move?

I think he is alienating the majority of the people who will vote....not so smart.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 pm

magica wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:He's hardly being 'inclusive'...!?

Last time I looked Manchester was in England!

More like Iceland at the moment Mags. Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:05 am

Good too see
Urdu should take over large swathes of Britain and those areas can join the Indian empire, round up the natives put them to work as house boys etc
Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:30 am

Like the Aboriginals should take over Australia and put the Aussies to work as house boys ! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:50 am

nicko wrote:Like the Aboriginals should take over Australia and put the Aussies to work as house boys ! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Is there an echo in this room? Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:50 am

What's good for the Goose etc.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 am

nicko wrote:Like the Aboriginals should take over Australia and put the Aussies to work as house boys ! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

the problem with that argument is Aussies are interbred including aboriginals.
But i do agree we should take a chunk before India can take it all an incorporate it into our multicultural empire under an aboriginal head of state Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Also Our Major federal parties do have multilingual advertising Wink
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-08/labor-migrant-multi-lingual-ads/7481902
including offerings in Tamil and Arabic. The list has since expanded to include Punjabi, Urdu, Korean, Hindi, Bengali, and simplified and traditional Chinese.
Labor campaign headquarters said by polling day the party will also have advertised to Italian, Macedonian, Greek and Vietnamese speakers with subtitled versions of their 100 Positive Policies campaign
Next election there will be ads in various African tongues too cheers cheers cheers

Our goose is very different than your gander Wink I love the fact we have such inclusion yet no Brit on here speaks positively of it.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 am

veya_victaous wrote:Good too see
Urdu should take over large swathes of Britain and those areas can join the Indian empire, round up the natives put them to work as house boys etc
Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

So you are making a mockery of those basically enslaved during the British empire

Fail to see how that is even funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:31 pm

This is the first time a role like this has been created in Manchester, we vote for our chosen candidate on May 4th.
We are now considered to be Britains second city, the elected mayor will be the spokesperson for us, so obviously his communication skills are important.
No one knows whether this candidate can even speak English, if he cant he is useless...if he can he is ill mannered and ignorant and obviously trying to isolate the majority of the city.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/idiots-guide-greater-manchester-mayor-12521146
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Birmingham is Britains Second City !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:04 pm

nicko wrote:Birmingham is Britains Second City !
No...its Manchester now Nicko...sorry. cheers

"As the Second City is an unofficial title and one of subjective opinion, a number of polls have been conducted over the years. Despite Birmingham being viewed as the traditional second city, public polls have shown a consistent preference for Manchester since 2000. This shift has been attributed to Manchester's and the wider Greater Manchester region's rebranding of itself, most notably after the 1996 Manchester bombing and the successful hosting of the 2002 Commonwealth Games:
A 2002 survey conducted by Ipsos MORI, commissioned by "Visit Manchester" (Manchester's tourism department), Manchester received the highest response for the category of second city at 34%, compared to Birmingham at 29%; and in the same poll, Manchester had the highest response for the category of third city with 27% of the vote, 6% more than the 21% for Birmingham.[30] Only 85% of respondents put London as first City.[31]
A 2007 survey conducted by GfK commissioned by the BBC in December 2006 investigating the subject of the "'Second city' of England" (as opposed to the UK as a whole), 48% of 1,000 people placed Manchester, with 40% choosing Birmingham.[32][33]
A 2015 survey by YouGov showed that 30% thought Manchester was the second city, 20% thought Birmingham and 12% thought Edinburgh"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_city_of_the_United_Kingdom
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Doesn't matter what people think, Birmingham is OFFICIALLY The Second City !!!!

[Being as I am a Brummie, i'v got to stick up for us.] Smile
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Well you can both shush cos I'm a Londoner! cheers
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:48 pm

eddie wrote:Well you can both shush cos I'm a Londoner! cheers

Cant argue with London being the capital.....but Manchester is definitely considered the runner up now.
Sorry Nicko, its bad enough you have to suffer that accent. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Well you can both shush cos I'm a Londoner! cheers

Cant argue with London being the capital.....but Manchester is definitely considered the runner up now.

Isn't Manchester larger than London? I remember this discussion coming up around who has the most expensive football franchise. They said (I thought), it was Manchester, because it was the largest city in the UK.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Isn't Manchester larger than London?  I remember this discussion coming up around who has the most expensive football franchise.  They said (I thought), it was Manchester, because it was the largest city in the UK.

London has far more teams than Manchester.

Manchester has two big clubs in City and United, the later having some of the biggest global support

London has big teams too in Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:57 pm

I know that...it's just the discussion in which it came up.

My question is, which is the larger city?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Original Quill wrote:I know that...it's just the discussion in which it came up.

Population or urbanization size wise?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Original Quill wrote:I know that...it's just the discussion in which it came up.

London.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

London.

Thank you.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Isn't Manchester larger than London?  I remember this discussion coming up around who has the most expensive football franchise.  They said (I thought), it was Manchester, because it was the largest city in the UK.

It may well be, I honestly don't know the answer without googling.
Manchester has changed its boundaries so much over the years it now encompasses the city of Salford and other places and its collectively known as Greater Manchester.

I am useless with the geography of places....others may know without googling.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Lol...it took me that long to think about that the answer had already been given. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Syl wrote:Lol...it took me that long to think about that the answer had already been given. Laughing

It's ok...at least you thought about it. Laughing  We in the US have the concept of SMSA's coming out of our Department of Census: Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas.  It's because many of these cities, like Los Angeles, do not fit into the compact boundaries of a single city.  The growth of suburbia has created interspersed cities and the only relevant measure is the greater area.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:Lol...it took me that long to think about that the answer had already been given. Laughing

It's ok...at least you thought about it.   Laughing   We in the US have the concept of SMSA's coming out of our Department of Census: Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas.  It's because many of these cities, like Los Angeles, do not fit into the compact boundaries of a single city.  The growth of suburbia has created interspersed cities and the only relevant measure is the greater area.

Places are ever evolving.
I love the old fshioned American westerns where the first settlers begin by building a hut, which turns into a small township, which is probably now a great city.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It's ok...at least you thought about it.   Laughing   We in the US have the concept of SMSA's coming out of our Department of Census: Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas.  It's because many of these cities, like Los Angeles, do not fit into the compact boundaries of a single city.  The growth of suburbia has created interspersed cities and the only relevant measure is the greater area.

I love the old fshioned American westerns  where the first settlers begin by building a hut, which turns into a small township, which is probably now a great city.

Yes, it's fun to imagine.  It happens where rivers converge...Pittsburgh.  Or where the railroad put a station (usually where the stage coach stop was)...Tucson.  Or, where roads crossed...Kansas City.

But you have the same thing in the UK.  London was the first place upstream where, at low tide, one could ford the Thames.  Cambridge is where the Romans build a bridge over the River Cam.  And Sterling was the first place where they could put a bridge over the River Forth, although now we are into castle placement.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

I love the old fshioned American westerns  where the first settlers begin by building a hut, which turns into a small township, which is probably now a great city.

Yes, it's fun to imagine.  It happens where rivers converge...Pittsburgh.  Or where the railroad put a station (usually where the stage coach stop was)...Tucson.  Or, where roads crossed...Kansas City.

But you have the same thing in the UK.  London was the first place upstream where, at low tide, one could ford the Thames.  Cambridge is where the Romans build a bridge over the River Cam.  And Sterling was the first place where they could put a bridge over the River Forth, although now we are into castle placement.
Yes we are the same...well everywhere is, we all started from scratch.

It may be because the other mans grass looks greener, but I don't think I would be as fascinated about films centred round the first settlers near the river Thames as I am about the cowboys who fought the red indians off when they were driving their horse pulled waggon trains through the texan mountains.

Someone will tell me off now and say the Indians were there first....I am just talking about entertainment though. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It may be because the other mans grass looks greener, but I don't think I would be as fascinated about films centred round the first settlers near the river Thames as I am about the cowboys who fought the red indians off when they were driving their horse pulled waggon trains through the texan mountains.

Someone will tell me off now and say the Indians were there first....I am just talking about entertainment though. Laughing

Along those lines, one of the greatest books I have read was London, by Edward Rutherfurd.  Although it is centered around the history of the City of London, that's a pretty important city in the UK.  So, it's a lot about the parochial history of England.  For example, Rutherfurd talks about how the Excheqeur got his name...during the time of Edward I, he made 'X's' on a board when someone paid taxes: he was the X-checker.  Also, where is the Holborn River (sometimes called the Fleet River) today (it exists in a man-made culvert that empties into the Thames under the Blackfriars Bridge)?  

Candidate for Manchester mayor gives his manifesto  completely in  Urdu. 4755796111_892e0cf6c2_b

That hole is the once great Holborn River.

Wonderful book...full of small stuff like that.

Last edited by Original Quill on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Syl, nothing wrong with our accent, you may be mixing us up with the Black Country.
Anyhow nothing worse than an Scouser !!!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:22 pm

nicko wrote:Syl, nothing wrong with our accent, you may be mixing us up with the Black Country.

So true

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

nicko wrote:Syl, nothing wrong with our accent, you may be mixing us up with the Black Country.

I'm only teasing ....I don't mind most accents, even the liverpudlian one.
A soft Irish, Scottish or Welsh accent is nice though. I love you
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:24 am

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Along those lines, one of the greatest books I have read was London, by Edward Rutherfurd.  Although it is centered around the history of the City of London, that's a pretty important city in the UK.  So, it's a lot about the parochial history of England.  For example, Rutherfurd talks about how the Excheqeur got his name...during the time of Edward I, he made 'X's' on a board when someone paid taxes: he was the X-checker.  Also, where is the Holborn River (sometimes called the Fleet River) today (it exists in a man-made culvert that empties into the Thames under the Blackfriars Bridge)?  

Wonderful book...full of small stuff like that.

It sounds very informative Quill, thanks.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 am

Thorin wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:Good too see
Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

So you are making a mockery of those basically enslaved during the British empire

no, you're the 'native' that should be made a house boy
let those that were enslaved make a mockery of you

jesus even nicko got it straight away Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:20 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Thorin wrote:

no, you're the 'native' that should be made a house boy
let those that were enslaved make a mockery of you

jesus even nicko got it straight away Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Again, its not something to laugh about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down