NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buddhist association takes legal action after video shows ‘monks partying'

+2
Raggamuffin
Syl
6 posters

Go down

Buddhist association takes legal action after video shows ‘monks partying' Empty Buddhist association takes legal action after video shows ‘monks partying'

Post by Guest Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:22 pm

A local Buddhist association has vowed to sue media outlets and netizens, after a video allegedly showing members partying at a nun's wedding went viral.

The Wutaishan Buddhist Association (WBA) of North China's Shanxi Province accused media of "tarnishing Buddhism" over the video.

Most men and women in the video were bald, in robes, and busy taking pictures of themselves or a group. Some people shouted "unify the world", and some were seen holding a board with characters "Wuxingbi".

In a statement issued over the weekend, the WBA claimed that the guests were actually members of a pyramid scheme called "Wuxingbi," whose members shave their heads.

WBA lawyer Wei Haisheng told media on Sunday that the association had reported the case to police.

"It's time for us to take actions to defend the reputation of Buddhism,” he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/10/buddhist-association-takes-legal-action-video-shows-monks-partying/

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Buddhist association takes legal action after video shows ‘monks partying' Empty Re: Buddhist association takes legal action after video shows ‘monks partying'

Post by Syl Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Are Buddhists not supposed to enjoy themselves?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Buddhist association takes legal action after video shows ‘monks partying' Empty Re: Buddhist association takes legal action after video shows ‘monks partying'

Post by Guest Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm

There is more here to read, but still am perplexed at all this

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report-china-s-buddhist-body-to-sue-media-for-tarnishing-religion-2393270

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm not sure what these people are doing wrong tbh, I just read a website detailing the do's and donts that Buddists adhere too.....still don't see the problem with that particular video though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Syl wrote:I'm not sure what these people are doing wrong tbh, I just read a website detailing the do's and donts that Buddists adhere too.....still don't see the problem with that particular video though.

I think the reasoning is about posting up about a party, stating Buddhists partying, when they are at a wedding.

As if this portrays them in a bad light.

Hence, yes I am confused also on this

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:01 pm

I thought the point was that they're not Buddhists.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I thought the point was that they're not Buddhists.

The association admits that they are Buddhists, but its the view to class them as partying on a video

Yep I am confused how this would be bad some how?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:I'm not sure what these people are doing wrong tbh, I just read a website detailing the do's and donts that Buddists adhere too.....still don't see the problem with that particular video though.

I think the reasoning is about posting up about a party, stating Buddhists partying, when they are at a wedding.

It was a nuns wedding...that's more confusing to me, I thought nuns were already married to God.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I thought the point was that they're not Buddhists.

The association admits that they are Buddhists, but its the view to class them as partying on a video

In a statement issued over the weekend, the WBA claimed that the guests were actually members of a pyramid scheme called "Wuxingbi," whose members shave their heads.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

It was a nuns wedding...that's more confusing to me, I thought nuns were already married to God.

Buddhist Nuns Syl.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Does that mean that Wuxingbi are not Buddhists?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I've been trying to find out more about Wuxingbi, but I haven't had much success. Laughing

I'm not sure what it means by "pyramid scheme".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Buddhist Nuns Syl.

Oh right...I got confused. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I've been trying to find out more about Wuxingbi, but I haven't had much success. Laughing

I'm not sure what it means by "pyramid scheme".
lol!

Neither can I Rags, but maybe they are Buddhists and that an organisation is actually then tarnishing them by denying them their religious identity.

No idea lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Also, do Buddhist Nuns get married? The Buddhist Nuns I know aren't married, but then there are different versions of Buddhism.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:59 pm

Isn't enjoying yourself innocently the way we are supposed to live our lives? What were they doing wrong?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:26 am

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Chinese Buddhist nuns are not they don't believe in a god Wink

Chinese Zen Buddhism is one of the more sensible religions, it still has several faults but most are 'cultural dogma' influenced by Confucian Dogma, Confucianism is actually really shitty.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:34 am

eddie wrote:Isn't enjoying yourself innocently the way we are supposed to live our lives? What were they doing wrong?

Well if you're a Buddhist monk in a lot of East Asian branches of Buddhism you really are supposed to forfeit excessive living and 'materialistic' things. Like partying. Partying shows you have an attachment to things which means you can never really attain nirvana or enlightenment or whatever you want to call it. It is hyper hypocritical though, Monks live very well (in Thailand at least, and I didn't see anything to the contrary in China), travel a lot etc. But if they are ever caught enjoying themselves too much, that can be the end of their 'career'. As with many things in Asia 'face' is very important...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:05 am

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:Isn't enjoying yourself innocently the way we are supposed to live our lives? What were they doing wrong?

Well if you're a Buddhist monk in a lot of East Asian branches of Buddhism you really are supposed to forfeit excessive living and 'materialistic' things. Like partying. Partying shows you have an attachment to things which means you can never really attain nirvana or enlightenment or whatever you want to call it. It is hyper hypocritical though, Monks live very well (in Thailand at least, and I didn't see anything to the contrary in China), travel a lot etc. But if they are ever caught enjoying themselves too much, that can be the end of their 'career'. As with many things in Asia 'face' is very important...

You mean like the Catholic priests who interfere with young kids, or the Muslims who smoke, drink and eat bacon? I think religion is hypocritical by default. Do this. Do that. Halal. Haram. Burn in hell. Etc etc. The sooner people sack it all off, the nicer the planet will be.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 am

I agree. We'll be waiting a while though...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:05 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:

Chinese Buddhist nuns are not they don't believe in a god Wink

Chinese Zen Buddhism is one of the more sensible religions, it still has several faults but most are 'cultural dogma' influenced by Confucian Dogma, Confucianism is actually really shitty.

The clue is in the title I suppose. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down