NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooper 'sBeer blacklisted for Anti Marrige equality poition

5 posters

Go down

Cooper 'sBeer blacklisted for Anti Marrige equality poition Empty Cooper 'sBeer blacklisted for Anti Marrige equality poition

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:26 am

A PUSH to boycott Coopers is gaining steam following the South Australian brewer’s involvement in a controversial ad for the Bible Society debating gay marriage.

But Liberal MP and former Human Rights Commissioner Tim Wilson says the backlash is “absurd” and only proves the point of the video.

The family-owned company has attempted to back-pedal after a number of pubs joined the #BoycottCoopers push, including Sydney’s Newtown Hotel, Union Hotel Newtown, Hollywood Hotel in Surry Hills and Hideaway Bar in Enmore. In Melbourne, boycotters include Old Bar, Sircuit nightclub and Mollies Bar & Diner in Fitzroy.

Released last week, “Keeping it Light” features Wilson and Andrew Hastie having a “light discussion” on the “heavy topic” of gay marriage over a Coopers beer.

Wilson, who supports gay marriage, and Hastie, a conservative Christian in favour of traditional marriage, are each asked to state their case and then say which element of the other’s argument they found most convincing.

Here’s what Wilson says: “I believe that it would be sensible to change the act that deals with issues around civil marriage to include two people regardless of their gender. I hold that view because I believe everybody should be encouraged to have an equal investment in society.

“Relationships should be recognised as marriage if they’re long-term and committed, because they provide the foundations of a society going from individual to forming family, building community and ultimately country. That’s how we make a strong country and whether people are heterosexual or homosexual, we should want people committed to that.”

And here’s Hastie’s view: “I’m for retaining the current definition of marriage, which is between a man and a woman. I hold to a common view of marriage, common throughout culture and history, and that is that it’s a comprehensive union between a man and a woman, it’s equal, and it’s diverse, it’s got both genders.

“I think it’s an institution that’s grown up organically prior to politics. My view is the state shouldn’t be redefining something that exists prior to the state. So my view is we should tread lightly there. That’s not to say that Tim and Ryan, his partner, shouldn’t be afforded the same rights before the law as a married couple, I just think the definition is distinct and important.”

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/coopers-boycott-over-bible-society-video-absurd/news-story/301b2eb9cd794521b81578b1d5c96b50

Despite the civil tone of the discussion, gay marriage supporters slammed Coopers for participating in the video, immediately calling for a boycott. Bars and pubs soon followed suit.

“Due to the recent language coming out of Coopers Brewing, we will be taking their Pale Ale off tap after our current kegs are blown,” Union Hotel Newtown wrote on Facebook. “At this point it seems their views on marriage equality are at odds with not only those of our staff, but our locals and the broader community of Newtown.”

The Old Bar wrote: “Unfortunately we will no longer be purchasing any stock from Coopers. It’s a sad day for us as over the many years we have built a strong relationship, yet after recent events it is very obvious that our values are at odds.”

Chris Driscoll, general manager of Mollie’s Bar & Diner and Sircuit, uploaded a video of Coopers bottles being thrown in the bin. “Sircuit and Mollie’s, like beer companies, have choices,” he wrote. “I have made mine. If Coopers wish to discuss, they have my number.”

In an initial statement, Coopers described the video as “a light hearted but balanced debate about an important topic within Australia”, saying it wasn’t trying to “push religious messages or change your beliefs”.

But in a follow-up statement, Coopers distanced itself from the video. “We want you to know that Coopers did not give permission for our Premium Light beer to feature in, or ‘sponsor’ the Bible Society’s ‘Keeping it Light’ video featuring Andrew Hastie and Tim Wilson,” the statement said.

“We respect the beliefs of our community and do not wish to try and change them. Our family brewery is made up of individuals from a number of different backgrounds, all of whom hold differing views on politics and religion, which we think is reflective of the wider community. We would like all Coopers fans to know that we support and embrace all of our beer drinking community.”

Wilson told news.com.au the boycott against Coopers was “simply absurd”. “I’m disappointed Coopers appears to have distanced themselves from a sensible conversation that they should be proud to align themselves with,” he said.

He described the response to the video as “bizarre”, saying the “over-the-top response” had “only proven the need for more civil disagreement”.

“The objective of the Bible Society was to bring together two people who disagree on an issue they both feel passionately about and demonstrate they can disagree without being disagreeable,” he said.

“Our society needs more civil discussions, not less. You can’t persuade people to change their mind if you only talk to people you agree with.

“The Bible Society video was designed to show how a constructive discussion can be had. The response to it has only demonstrated how much people in positions of influence need to set an example of civility and respect.

“The overwhelming response I have received from my community is that people appreciate two adults talking about a topical issue as adults without resorting to name calling. As someone who is in favour of a change in the law, I welcome the opportunity to discuss the case for change with those who agree or disagree.”

In a statement on Monday, the Bible Society said it was “entirely responsible” for the video. “It was not sponsored by Coopers,” the statement said. “No money has changed hands between Bible Society and Coopers in regards to this campaign.

“Bible Society remains grateful to Coopers for both the release of light beer commemorating our bicentenary and their support through their foundation for the distribution of bibles to the Defence Force and those who need them.

“The interest from the public in this campaign reinforces the message of the video — that it is important for Australians to have respectful conversations about serious issues — ‘keeping it light’.”
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Cooper 'sBeer blacklisted for Anti Marrige equality poition Empty Re: Cooper 'sBeer blacklisted for Anti Marrige equality poition

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:36 am

100% support boycotting Coopers. leave them penny less, Bankrupt with this clearly the cause.

There is not need of discussion OR if we are to have discussion it is 'Should we allow the evil the is Abrahamic religion in our society'

this is what 'bible society' doesn't get WE FIND THEM OFFENSIVE!!!
the majority are sick of them and Find them more offensive than gay people

thus NO DISCUSSION needed
IF You do NOT back marriage equality, YOU and YOUR BUSINESS are SCUM that we want nothing further to do with.

Ironic that they are saying 'free speech'... WELL this is the Natural outcome of Free speech EVERYONE else's right to say what a piece of shit you are and the fact they ARE NOT going to do business with you again.

I hope that they don't get the chance to back track and go bankrupt. no need for them to have second chance, a beer brewer should have kept their nose out of politics in the first palce. now let them suffer the consequence of their conservative position, complete extinction.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Cooper 'sBeer blacklisted for Anti Marrige equality poition Empty Re: Cooper 'sBeer blacklisted for Anti Marrige equality poition

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Here's what I just love, the bigot Hastie is described as being "in favor of traditional marriage," as though people who are in favor of gay marriage are somehow *against* straight marriage.

Nobody opposes "traditional marriage." But this is how the right frames the discussion -- "I'm in favor of traditional marriage; if you disagree with me, you must not be." It's just like them labeling themselves as "pro-life" if they're against abortion; implying that people who disagree with them are "pro-death."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Are you trying to say that they see everything as black and white and the world is actually shades of grey?

Because you're right about that, I find a lot of ignorant peolke are like that.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:01 pm

eddie wrote:Are you trying to say that they see everything as black and white and the world is actually shades of grey?

Because you're right about that, I find a lot of ignorant peolke are like that.

No, what he's saying is that Hastie recasts the question sub silentio.  If, in a debate, I say I'm in favor of ice cream, by my framing, I'm saying (or suggesting) you don't like ice cream.  Turning to the subject of gay marriage, there's no issue of straight marriage.  He only brings it up to re-position the other side.

It's a logical way of telling a lie.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:27 am

veya_victaous wrote:100% support boycotting Coopers. leave them penny less, Bankrupt with this clearly the cause.  

There is not need of discussion OR if we are to have discussion it is 'Should we allow the evil the is Abrahamic religion in our society'

this is what 'bible society'  doesn't get WE FIND THEM OFFENSIVE!!!
the majority are sick of them and Find them more offensive than gay people

thus NO DISCUSSION needed
IF You do NOT back marriage equality, YOU and YOUR BUSINESS are SCUM that we want nothing further to do with.

Ironic that they are saying 'free speech'...  WELL this is the Natural outcome of Free speech EVERYONE else's right to say what a piece of shit you are and the fact they ARE NOT going to do business with you again.

I hope that they don't get the chance to back track and go bankrupt. no need for them to have second chance, a beer brewer should have kept their nose out of politics in the first palce. now let them suffer the consequence of their conservative position, complete extinction.

Cooper 'sBeer blacklisted for Anti Marrige equality poition 1399249160

COOPERS is so well established as a 'second tier' brand in the market,  that if such a boycott did gain a foothold, and the family holding company went belly-up as a result,  I don't imagine that the Coopers brewing entity would disappear...

Rather, I reckon that one of the 'majors' (e.g. CUB; or Lion Nathan..) would likely buy them out..
Or even another second-level/mid-size company.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:32 am

@wolf
they'd be buying a brand name and consumer loyalty to that brand.
which Coopers has destroyed, I don't think they would buy it, if it were to fail due to boycotting since then the 'brand name' is actually a liability.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:30 am

veya_victaous wrote:@wolf
they'd be buying a brand name and consumer loyalty to that brand.
which Coopers has destroyed, I don't think they would buy it, if it were to fail due to boycotting since then the 'brand name' is actually a liability.

Maybe...you don't know, tho. After all, it's brand loyalty of alcoholics. They're not exactly free to decide. If they're hooked, they don't readily go shopping for an alternative.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down