NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comparing Trump to Bush

2 posters

Go down

Comparing Trump to Bush  Empty Comparing Trump to Bush

Post by veya_victaous Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:53 am

True enough. Mr Trump was right to acknowledge Ryan and Carryn Owens, both of whom deserve all the praise in the world. But the political reward he’s reaping for it feels wrong.

Why? Because just hours before his speech, in an interview with Fox News, Mr Trump was being the very opposite of presidential. When he was asked about the raid that got Chief Owens killed, America’s Commander-in-Chief tried to deflect the blame away from himself.

“This was a mission that started before I got here,” Mr Trump said.

“This is something the generals wanted to do. They came to see me, they explained what they wanted to do, the generals. Who are very respected. My generals are the most respected that we’ve had in many decades, I believe.

“And they lost Ryan.”
They lost Ryan. They, not we.

That whole answer was an attempt to shift responsibility from Mr Trump, who gave the order approving the raid, to anyone else. The mission started before he got there. The generals wanted to do it. Therefore, it’s their fault Chief Owens died.

The facts don’t exactly back Mr Trump up. The mission did not “start” before Mr Trump took office — Barack Obama had deferred it, deliberately leaving the decision to him. When the plan was put before Mr Trump six days into his presidency, he promptly approved it — “without sufficient intelligence”, according to anonymous US officials.

The operation did not go well. The SEALs were plunged into an unexpected hour-long firefight, which led to the death of Chief Owens and a number of civilians.
Mr Trump is trying to pass that buck to someone else. So, as eloquent and admirable as his tribute to Mr Owens was, it came with a deeply unpresidential subtext

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/the-problem-with-donald-trumps-extraordinary-moment/news-story/3b2459ae359140ec8ba1cf52b11f3957

In a recent feature article, Time Magazine asked 12 White House photographers to reveal the stories behind their favourite presidential photos. One of them, Christopher Morris, described the time he had accompanied George W Bush on a trip to visit wounded military personnel from the Iraq War.

“Witnessing this in a very small room brought home the true meaning of being the president of the United States,” Mr Morris said.

“In each instance, the president’s military aide would read out the Purple Heart citation, with the president then pinning it on the serviceman’s gown. Many had suffered extreme cranial damage.”

Later, Mr Morris joined Mr Bush in his limousine.

“Once inside the protected small space of the limo, I could physically sense his emotions as a result of what he had just encountered,” the photographer said.

“Sitting knee-to-knee with him in the vehicle, I said: ‘That was an extremely heavy thing for you to do.’ As we drove away, he said: ‘I do it because I sent them there.’

“Once on board the helicopter, as we took off, his eyes watered. Staring out the window, his lip quivered. Then he spoke: ‘Please no more pictures.’”
Mr Bush clearly felt intensely, personally responsible for the pain his decisions had caused — as he should have. The president gives the orders, and that means the buck stops with him.

Last edited by veya_victaous on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Comparing Trump to Bush  Empty Re: Comparing Trump to Bush

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:03 am

Idea

Trump is a born coward;  incapable of taking responsibility for bad outcomes from his own poor decision -- always ready to misdirect, deflect or deny...

Much like that small (very small) handful of equally weak and stupid supporters cheering for him around this forum..

Trumps father sent him off to a military boarding school for a while, but for some reason Trump didn't follow up with any kind of military or National Guard service, no public service, even volunteer work.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:08 am

it is amazing how even a bad president seems such a good example compared to the current one...
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down