NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People are feeling lonlier and more isolated in todays society.

5 posters

Go down

People are feeling lonlier and more isolated in todays society. Empty People are feeling lonlier and more isolated in todays society.

Post by Syl Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:55 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4270584/One-eight-people-say-no-close-friends.html

It doesn't surprise me. Many elderly people are lonely and alone, many younger people spend more time interacting on social media rather than mixing and meeting people in real life.
New research shows that one person in every eight don't have a good friend....that's sad, everyone needs at least one good friend.

"Loneliness is on the rise, with more than one in eight adults saying they do not have a close friend – an increase on previous years, according to new research. 
Almost seven million people in the UK do not have someone they can rely on, Charities Relate and Relationships Scotland say.
Relate said it was concerned that increased dependence on social media, lack of work/life balance and the pressures of bringing up children could be affecting people's friendships."

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

People are feeling lonlier and more isolated in todays society. Empty Re: People are feeling lonlier and more isolated in todays society.

Post by eddie Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:38 pm

I know a couple of people who have no friends and this isn't because they're social outcasts it's because they don't feel the need. I also think men tend to suffer, especially those that work long hours so have no social life.

I think for some reason, the older you get, the more you don't tend to tolerate nonversations - so making friends seems like an effort. If you still have friends from childhood then you're lucky.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

People are feeling lonlier and more isolated in todays society. Empty Re: People are feeling lonlier and more isolated in todays society.

Post by Syl Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:38 pm

I think you make a good point Eddie, the friends I have I have had for many years. Unless you are still working, or joining new clubs, I think it must be hard to make new friends as you get older.

Friendship takes effort, to have a good friend you have to be a good friend, I guess many people just can't be bothered.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 pm

I also think it is true that in large cities you are more alone. I had fiends and family in Sydney but only because I grew up there, I can imagine it would be pretty hard to make connections if you just moved there.

Down here in Tarago it is a lot easier since being a town of a few hundred people, everyone sort of knows every one and when I suggested that I wanted to be part of the 'town culture' (and particularly when I became a permanent resident) people have gone out of their way to 'look after me' and make me feel welcome.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:47 pm

That's true actually Veya. I love in a kind of modern village and everyone knows everyone. I've only been here nearly two years and know so many people already.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Syl wrote:I think you make a good point Eddie, the friends I have I have had for many years. Unless you are still working, or joining new clubs, I think it must be hard to make new friends as you get older.

Friendship takes effort, to have a good friend you have to  be a good friend, I guess many people just can't be bothered.

I agree but I think a lot of people don't know how to be either. Consumerism has trained people to be selfish and self absorbed.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I also think it  is true that in large cities you are more alone. I had fiends and family in Sydney but only because I grew up there, I can imagine it would be pretty hard to make connections if you just moved there.

Down here in Tarago it is a lot easier since being a town of a few hundred people, everyone sort of knows every one and when I suggested that I wanted to be part of the 'town culture' (and particularly when I became a permanent resident) people have gone out of their way to 'look after me' and make me feel welcome.

why does that NOT surprise me??? Laughing Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:26 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:I think you make a good point Eddie, the friends I have I have had for many years. Unless you are still working, or joining new clubs, I think it must be hard to make new friends as you get older.

Friendship takes effort, to have a good friend you have to  be a good friend, I guess many people just can't be bothered.

I agree but I think a lot of people don't know how to be either. Consumerism has trained people to be selfish and self absorbed.

It's true that society has changed,, many people don't even know their next door neighbours now.
Most people drive, so they have less chance of meeting their neighbours, houses are separated by walls and fences, where I grew up there were streets of terraced houses, so you were living in close proximity to people, far more than most people do nowadays.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:33 pm

I think it depends on whether one is open and receptive to new people. If you behave this way you will draw people to you.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:51 pm

[quote="Syl"]
veya_victaous wrote:

It's true that society has changed,, many people don't even know their next door neighbours now.
Most people drive, so they have less chance of meeting their neighbours, houses are separated by walls and fences, where I grew up there were streets of terraced houses, so you were living in close proximity to people, far more than most people do nowadays.[/quote

I live out in the sticks surrounded by woodland and fields with my two nearest neighbours each about a quarter of a mile away.

On one side is a mad German widow who smokes like a chimney and has a dog that would scare the shit out of the hound of the Baskervilles.

On the other is the widow of a judge who, I swear to God, still believes that poachers should be transported to the colonies and that sheep rustlers should be hanged on the village green.

Frankly, m'dear, I wouldn't want to know my next door neighbours!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:04 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Syl wrote:

Most people drive, so they have less chance of meeting their neighbours, houses are separated by walls and fences, where I grew up there were streets of terraced houses, so you were living in close proximity to people, far more than most people do nowadays.[/quote

I live out in the sticks surrounded by woodland and fields with my two nearest neighbours each about a quarter of a mile away.

On one side is a mad German widow who smokes like a chimney and has a dog that would scare the shit out of the hound of the Baskervilles.

On the other is the widow of a judge who, I swear to God, still believes that poachers should be transported to the colonies and that sheep rustlers should be hanged on the village green.

Frankly, m'dear, I wouldn't want to know my next door neighbours!

lol!

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 am

eddie wrote:I think it depends on whether one is open and receptive to new people. If you behave this way you will draw people to you.

I think that's a simplistic way of looking at it.

There are many people who would like friends, but they don't find it easy to make them, maybe through shyness, or disabilities, age, remoteness....lots of reasons.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:12 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:I think it depends on whether one is open and receptive to new people. If you behave this way you will draw people to you.

There are many people who would like friends, but they don't find it easy to make them, maybe through shyness, or disabilities, age, remoteness....lots of reasons.

Yes of course, which is why the internet may be a Godsend to them for all sorts of reasons.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:11 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yes of course, which is why the internet may be a Godsend to them for all sorts of reasons.

Definitely.....it should be an added addition to life though, not a replacement for human contact.

When I read last week (i posted it in a thread somewhere) that an elderly lady went to the hairdressers every week because it was the only time anyone ever touched her.....and today that one person In eight has no close friend, it brings home that there are millions of lonely isolated people in the UK.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down