NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trumps Conflict of Interests highlighted by inappropriate use of POTUS twitter account

2 posters

Go down

Trumps Conflict of Interests highlighted by inappropriate use of POTUS twitter account  Empty Trumps Conflict of Interests highlighted by inappropriate use of POTUS twitter account

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:31 am

US So-Called President Trump's Twitter attack on Nordstrom for dropping his daughter Ivanka's clothing line has raised concerns about the use of his White House platform for his family's businesses.

In response to the Twitter comment Mr Trump posted criticising the department store, White House spokesman Sean Spicer characterised the company's action as a "direct attack" on the president's policies.

"My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person — always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!" Mr Trump tweeted.

It was re-tweeted more than 6,000 times in less than an hour, including from the official, taxpayer-funded @POTUS account.

Nordstrom shares dropped 0.7 per cent after the tweet but later recovered to trade up 3.7 per cent on the New York Stock Exchange.

Nordstrom said its decision to drop Ivanka Trump branded merchandise from its stores and online was based on the brand's performance.

"Over the past year, and particularly in the last half of 2016, sales of the brand have steadily declined to the point where it didn't make good business sense for us to continue with the line for now."

Nordstrom said it informed Ivanka Trump about its decision in early January.

A day after Nordstrom's statement, luxury retailer Neiman Marcus Group also said it had stopped selling Ivanka Trump's jewellery line on its website and a store in New Jersey, according to Yahoo News.

The move by the retailers comes amid an ongoing campaign called #GrabYourWallet, which encourages shoppers to boycott products with ties to President Trump, his family and his donors.

The Republican President's complaint, however, drew swift criticism from Democrats.

US House of Representatives' minority leader Nancy Pelosi said the tweet was inappropriate, but that it was typical of Mr Trump.

"I think it's inappropriate, but he's a totally inappropriate President, so it's totally in keeping with who he is," Ms Pelosi said.

What I think is more inappropriate, though, is for him to refer to a judge who made a ruling that he didn't agree with as a 'so-called judge'. Now we're talking about the separation of power, not the thin skin of an incompetent president," she said.

Senator Bob Casey, a Democrat, in a tweet indicated that the matter should be referred to the Office of Government Ethics.

The President has declined to sell off his businesses despite calls to do so from critics, instead turning his empire over to his adult sons.

Mr Trump's web of international companies remains a bit opaque since he has refused to release his tax returns, which experts have said would provide a clearer view of his business interests.

Since winning the US presidential election on November 8, Mr Trump has targeted specific companies on Twitter. But this is his first tweet criticising a business tied to his family since the victory.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-09/donald-trump-tweets-that-nordstrom-treated-ivanka-unfairly/8254256

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Trumps Conflict of Interests highlighted by inappropriate use of POTUS twitter account  Empty Re: Trumps Conflict of Interests highlighted by inappropriate use of POTUS twitter account

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:19 am

Yeah, I was going to post about this earlier -- but I realized that if I posted everything wrong with Trump today, I could be accused of spamming Smile

He just has no clue. He doesn't understand (or maybe he doesn't care) that his words have a lot more weight now. Reminds me of when Bush said "bring 'em on" and attacks against U.S. troops in Iraq increased dramatically.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Trumps Conflict of Interests highlighted by inappropriate use of POTUS twitter account  Empty Re: Trumps Conflict of Interests highlighted by inappropriate use of POTUS twitter account

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:40 am

Best news I've heard all day:

President Trump went to war Wednesday with Nordstrom, the department store, over its decision to stop carrying his daughter Ivanka’s line of branded apparel. And it appears Nordstrom won, with the company’s stock up almost 5 percent on the day.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/2/8/14553562/nordstrom-stock-price-trump-ivanka
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down