NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coding should be a blue-collar field

3 posters

Go down

Coding should be a blue-collar field Empty Coding should be a blue-collar field

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:29 am

WHEN I ASK people to picture a coder, they usually imagine someone like Mark Zuckerberg: a hoodied college dropout who builds an app in a feverish 72-hour programming jag—with the goal of getting insanely rich and, as they say, “changing the world.”

But this Silicon Valley stereotype isn’t even geographically accurate. The Valley employs only 8 percent of the nation’s coders. All the other millions? They’re more like Devon, a programmer I met who helps maintain a ­security-software service in Portland, Oregon. He isn’t going to get fabulously rich, but his job is stable and rewarding: It’s 40 hours a week, well paid, and intellectually challenging. “My dad was a blue-­collar guy,” he tells me—and in many ways, Devon is too.

Politicians routinely bemoan the loss of good blue-collar jobs. Work like that is correctly seen as a pillar of civil middle-class society. And it may yet be again. What if the next big blue-collar job category is already here—and it’s programming? What if we regarded code not as a high-stakes, sexy affair, but the equivalent of skilled work at a Chrysler plant?

Among other things, it would change training for programming jobs—and who gets encouraged to pursue them. As my friend Anil Dash, a technology thinker and entrepreneur, notes, teachers and businesses would spend less time urging kids to do expensive four-year computer-­science degrees and instead introduce more code at the vocational level in high school. You could learn how to do it at a community college; midcareer folks would attend intense months-long programs like Dev Bootcamp. There’d be less focus on the wunderkinds and more on the proletariat.

These sorts of coders won’t have the deep knowledge to craft wild new algorithms for flash trading or neural networks. Why would they need to? That level of expertise is rarely necessary at a job. But any blue-collar coder will be plenty qualified to sling Java­Script for their local bank. That’s a solidly middle-class job, and middle-class jobs are growing: The national average salary for IT jobs is about $81,000 (more than double the national average for all jobs), and the field is set to expand by 12 percent from 2014 to 2024, faster than most other occupations.

Across the country, people are seizing this opportunity, particularly in states hit hardest by deindustrialization. In Kentucky, mining veteran Rusty Justice decided that code could replace coal. He cofounded Bit Source, a code shop that builds its workforce by retraining coal miners as programmers. Enthusiasm is sky high: Justice got 950 applications for his first 11 positions. Miners, it turns out, are accustomed to deep focus, team play, and working with complex engineering tech. “Coal miners are really technology workers who get dirty,” Justice says.

Meanwhile, the Tennessee nonprofit CodeTN is trying to nudge high school kids into coding programs at community colleges. Some students (and teachers) worry that the kids don’t fit the Zuckerbergian cliché. That’s a cultural albatross, CodeTN cofounder Caleb Fristoe says. “We need to get more employers saying, ‘Yeah, we just need someone to manage the login page,’” he says. “You don’t have to be a superstar.”

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/programming-is-the-new-blue-collar-job/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Coding should be a blue-collar field Empty Re: Coding should be a blue-collar field

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:59 am

a Mechanic could become a coder but not sure about a line worker.
but the truth is there is not a lot of work in coding anymore and it will continue to decrease. there will always be some scripting work but a lot of it has become just an aspect of a different role.
it is the old way of doing things, there is far more work in 'infrastructure technologies' and 'field services'.

And example of 'infrastructure technologies' would be Anti Virus technology (cyber security) you don't need to code but you need to understand the methodology and the server-side tools, Generally a certification in a specific Antivirus product suite that company you want to work for uses(once you have enough experience they are fairly interchangeable) it is these suites that allow a business to protect their technical assets. Many Business are recruiting people full time to maintain and manage these services because they have learned the hard way that these are not set and forget technologies.

'Field services' is the common office IT guy, almost every office has a few. Increasingly corporations are finding it is actually cheaper and provides better service to employ these people on site rather than rely of a overseas helpdesk and phone support.

I started my career in field services roles, essentially being the 'hands and feet' for more experienced developers to assist in project role outs.

P.S. having read the Article, the Guy has no idea Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
possibly cost the local bank millions, NEVER use Java code for anything where the arithmetic actually matters. And also What does he think the local bank needs java code regularly for?
The more I read of it the more I think the guy is an journo with limited technical knowledge just spinning shit.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Coding should be a blue-collar field Empty Re: Coding should be a blue-collar field

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:27 am

Maybe this only applies in the U.S.? Coding should be a blue-collar field 2190311264
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:34 am

doubt it..
it is someone that doesn't understand those older coders are already obsolete
the biggest difficultly in the tech industry, which this doesn't touch on at all, is keeping up to date with relevant skills.

the languages I learnt in University where already on the way out by the time I was finished. employers were looking for people that with skills in the next language.
to have a career in technology you have to not only accept but embrace the fact you will never be able to stop learning .... but it is really not something you can expect of a line worker. the idea that a few classes in high school will help is a bit ridiculous to be honest.
we have coding subjects in our education system but they teach methodologies more than practical marketable skills. which will be helpful IF the student goes on to university and/or completes technical courses and finds them self working in the industry, as that will help them learn new ones and understand more of what is going on.

Again the idea line workers are needed is just wrong.
I have already made scripts that will write common code for me. (it just drags the variables out of a spreadsheet or database) so there is no need to a dozen guys to type up files of code. there was a requirement for that in the old days, teaching monkeys to code is already unrequired now since a computer can do the work of hundreds of 'code monkeys' ( a real term by the way) it is already a position that people are moving out of since they are being replaced with automation.

the solution is really a living wage or something the like.
humans are just becoming 'obsolete' in the workforce.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:21 am

veya_victaous wrote:a Mechanic could become a coder but not sure about a line worker.
but the truth is there is not a lot of work in coding anymore and it will continue to decrease. there will always be some scripting work but a lot of it has become just an aspect of a different role.
it is the old way of doing things, there is far more work in 'infrastructure technologies' and 'field services'.

And example of 'infrastructure technologies' would be Anti Virus technology (cyber security) you don't need to code but you need to understand the methodology and the server-side tools, Generally a certification in a specific Antivirus product suite that company you want to work for uses(once you have enough experience they are fairly interchangeable)  it is these suites that allow a business to protect their technical assets. Many Business are recruiting people full time to maintain and manage these services because they have learned the hard way that these are not set and forget technologies.

'Field services' is the common office IT guy, almost every office has a few. Increasingly corporations are finding it is actually cheaper and provides better service to employ these people on site rather than rely of a overseas helpdesk and phone support.

I started my career in field services roles, essentially being the 'hands and feet' for more experienced developers to assist in project role outs.

P.S. having read the Article, the Guy has no idea  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
possibly cost the local bank millions, NEVER use Java code for anything where the arithmetic actually matters. And also What does he think the local bank needs java code regularly for?
The more I read of it the more I think the guy is an journo with limited technical knowledge just spinning shit.

Idea

I agree, veya...

The journo' (?) who wrote that article doesn't seem to have much idea..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down