NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Stressed' GP allowed to keep job despite driving home after drinking almost entire bottle of vodka at surgery

+6
Tommy Monk
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
Syl
nicko
eddie
10 posters

Go down

'Stressed' GP allowed to keep job despite driving home after drinking almost entire bottle of vodka at surgery Empty 'Stressed' GP allowed to keep job despite driving home after drinking almost entire bottle of vodka at surgery

Post by eddie Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:37 pm

A GP who drove home after drinking almost an entire bottle of vodka at his surgery has been allowed to keep his job after medical watchdogs heard he was stressed at looking after 3,500 patients.

Dr Martin Peverley, 51, had been drinking doubles in between treating patients and completing paperwork and was so drunk that police had to carry him to their patrol car when they confronted him outside his home.

The family doctor, who was four times the drink-drive limit, could barely speak when officers tried to talk to him following his 50-minute journey home and he was too intoxicated to get out of the driver's seat, a hearing was told.

As officers attempted to remove him from his car, Peverley fell to the ground then had to be lifted into the police vehicle and taken to the station where he was ordered to take a breath test.
At the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service, Peverley - who has not worked since his arrest - admitted misconduct charges but escaped with a six-month suspension after claiming he was suffering from "accumulated stress caused by professional and financial problems".

He will undergo a review in June where it is expected he will ask to be allowed to treat patients again.

Much of the Manchester hearing was held in private after lawyers for Peverley argued there was "no particular public interest in his financial arrangements".

The drink driving incident occurred at 6.50pm on April 15 last year after the GP bought a 70cl bottle of vodka during his lunch break and then had two doubles before consulting patients.

He drank three-quarters of the bottle while completing paperwork before driving home.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/31/stressed-gp-allowed-keep-job-despite-driving-home-drinking-almost/

Is this right? Should he have been allowed to keep his job? I'd say yes, in this instance as he never hurt or killed anyone....though it would appear that he certainly needs to stop drinking (and driving).
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

'Stressed' GP allowed to keep job despite driving home after drinking almost entire bottle of vodka at surgery Empty Re: 'Stressed' GP allowed to keep job despite driving home after drinking almost entire bottle of vodka at surgery

Post by nicko Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:38 pm

No, he could have killed someone, put him away.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'Stressed' GP allowed to keep job despite driving home after drinking almost entire bottle of vodka at surgery Empty Re: 'Stressed' GP allowed to keep job despite driving home after drinking almost entire bottle of vodka at surgery

Post by Syl Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:09 pm

He should lose his job and his driving licence.
How can he look after patients when he is drunk?
There is no excuse to drink so irresponsibly and drive.
He could have wiped a full family out or caused a motorway pileup, it's only by the grace of God he didn't.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:03 pm

He drove for nearly an hour and made it home...and didn't harm anyone. Amazing...I'd straight plead he was not under any influence.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:05 pm

Original Quill wrote:He drove for nearly an hour and made it home...and didn't harm anyone.  Amazing...I'd straight plead he was not under any influence.

I was hoping you'd add something. Should he not have at least lost his license or done some time?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:He drove for nearly an hour and made it home...and didn't harm anyone.  Amazing...I'd straight plead he was not under any influence.

But would that not be a tad awkward in light of the fact he took a breath test and was found to be four times over the legal drink drive limit?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:08 pm

I think he should keep his job. He's clearly been self medicating for stress, and he needs help. It's absurd that doctors are under so much pressure in the first place.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:31 pm

eddie wrote:

I was hoping you'd add something. Should he not have at least lost his license or done some time?

The question is never how much did he drink(?). The charge is 'under the influence' and so it's always, how much was he influenced(?).

Proof is in the pudding, innit?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:50 pm

He is guilty of drink driving... he doesn't need a driving licence to do his job, so his job should not be affected.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:54 pm

This is the worrying part to me.

Dr Martin Peverley, 51, had been drinking doubles in between treating patients and completing paperwork and was so drunk that police had to carry him to their patrol car when they confronted him outside his home.

He could be prescribing the wrong medication, through wrongly diagnosing the patients. This could lead to all sorts of problems, if the patient is already on other medication.

I agree he clearly needs help, due to the stress, but he needs to stopped from practicing, until he properly recovers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:57 pm

He has been suspended for 6 months...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:00 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:He has been suspended for 6 months...

May take longer than that Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:06 pm

Point of interest Didge...

I think the bit in article you highlighted is important, and it can be read/interpreted 2 different ways...

It appears to say that he was seeing a patient and then drinking a shot of vodka while completing that patients paperwork, and then seeing another patient, another shot while doing that patients paperwork, and so on...

While another bit of op/article says he had seen all patients first and was then having a few shots after while doing all the paperwork...

"He drank three-quarters of the bottle while completing paperwork before driving home."
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:11 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Point of interest Didge...

I think the bit in article you highlighted is important, and it can be read/interpreted 2 different ways...

It appears to say that he was seeing a patient and then drinking a shot of vodka while completing that patients paperwork, and then seeing another patient, another shot while doing that patients paperwork, and so on...

While another bit of op/article says he had seen all patients first and was then having a few shots after while doing all the paperwork...

"He drank three-quarters of the bottle while completing paperwork before driving home."

Agreed, it can be read two ways, though it seems clear he is drinking after seeing the patients.
Seems to me this GP is burnt out

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Also... he could have necked a few shots while doing paperwork and this only really hit his system after he'd left and was on his way home...

Sometimes when you're stressed or high on adrenaline after just finishing work, you can have a few drinks and they don't really seem to have much effect...

It's only when you relax a bit and/or the adrenaline subsides that the alcohol kicks in...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:

The question is never how much did he drink(?).  The charge is 'under the influence' and so it's always, how much was he influenced(?).  

Not here and I thin the UK is the same
here is on your Blood alcohol concentration (BAC)

0.05% is the standard, but it is lower for heavy vehicles and provisional drivers.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

The question is never how much did he drink(?).  The charge is 'under the influence' and so it's always, how much was he influenced(?).  

Not here and I thin the UK is the same
here is on your Blood alcohol concentration (BAC)

0.05% is the standard, but it is lower for heavy vehicles and provisional drivers.

Yes, I'm only speaking with respect to the US.  BAC in the US creates a presumption of DUI, but it's a rebuttable presumption.

It's not automatic. It's a matter of evidence.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:22 am

in some ways it is fairer to have an intoxication test than BAC and it makes it easier to then transfer that to any DUI offence
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I think he should keep his job. He's clearly been self medicating for stress, and he needs help. It's absurd that doctors are under so much pressure in the first place.

Lots of people have stressful lives, he was drinking whilst working (dangerous for his patients) and driving whilst so drunk he was legless.
Yes GP's and Doctors in general are overworked and stressed, that, does not put them above the law.
Anyone else would lose their licence, their job and their freedom.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think he should keep his job. He's clearly been self medicating for stress, and he needs help. It's absurd that doctors are under so much pressure in the first place.

Lots of people have stressful lives, he was drinking whilst working (dangerous for his patients) and driving whilst so drunk he was legless.
Yes GP's and Doctors in general are overworked and stressed, that, does not put them above the law.

Well, that's it, isn't it? Anyone else would have lost their job and license. I don't see why he is given special dispensation.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:46 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well, that's it, isn't it?  Anyone else would have lost their job and license.  I don't see why he is given special dispensation.

It's mostly because a physician is a substantial asset to the community, especially in a country that has an NHS. You don't want to throw them away like a half-finished ham sandwich.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Well, that's it, isn't it?  Anyone else would have lost their job and license.  I don't see why he is given special dispensation.

It's mostly because a physician is a substantial asset to the community, especially in a country that has an NHS.  You don't want to throw them away like a half-finished ham sandwich.

So, you'd rather wait until he killed someone? That's smart.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It's mostly because a physician is a substantial asset to the community, especially in a country that has an NHS.  You don't want to throw them away like a half-finished ham sandwich.

So, you'd rather wait until he killed someone?   That's smart.  
In any case I doubt Quill is right.
Following that way of thinking Harold Shipman would still be a local friendly GP tending to his elderly patients. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:53 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

So, you'd rather wait until he killed someone?   That's smart.  
In any case I doubt Quill is right.
Following that way of thinking Harold Shipman would still be a local friendly GP tending to his elderly patients.  Twisted Evil

It's a judgment call. If you don't like it, you probably wouldn't make that call.

I'm just giving you the stock answer when it comes up.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's mostly because a physician is a substantial asset to the community, especially in a country that has an NHS. You don't want to throw them away like a half-finished ham sandwich.

No one is irreplaceable, no one is so elevated that they are beyond the law.

Be ye ever so high the law is above you (diplomats and heads of state excepted)
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

No one is irreplaceable, no one is so elevated that they are beyond the law.

Be ye ever so high the law is above you (diplomats and heads of state excepted)

Right! That's the counter-argument. Especially as the charges become more serious. This is just a drinking-and-driving matter (or drinking-and -surgery, possibly). Imagine if it were murder.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:23 pm

How about if he was pissed when he was diagnosing a medical problem? He could kill someone with the wrong medication.

Drunk in his car, drunk in his surgery?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:51 pm

nicko wrote:How about if he was pissed when he was diagnosing a medical problem?   He could kill someone with the wrong medication.

Drunk in his car,   drunk in his surgery?

It makes a difference doesn't it?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:57 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

He is guilty of drink driving... he doesn't need a driving licence to do his job, so his job should not be affected.

Totally agree. Employers should have no say in what goes in in your private life.

I have to say, this reminds me of a typical thing amongst Texas rednecks -- claiming "Hell, I drive *better* when I'm drunk!"
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:22 pm

In this case his employers do have a say as he was also drunk whilst working.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Totally agree. Employers should have no say in what goes in in your private life.

I have to say, this reminds me of a typical thing amongst Texas rednecks -- claiming "Hell, I drive *better* when I'm drunk!"

So by that yardstick, a paedophile could continue working with children? A druggie or alcoholic could continue working with machinery, or driving a large public vehicle? I think it all depends on what you're doing in your private life.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 pm

That is very true.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down