NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Untold story of the English village that raised a gorilla as a boy that drank tea, made its bed and washed up

3 posters

Go down

Untold story of the English village that raised a gorilla as a boy that drank tea, made its bed and washed up Empty Untold story of the English village that raised a gorilla as a boy that drank tea, made its bed and washed up

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:35 am

The extraordinary life of an English village's resident gorilla that had its own bedroom, went for walks with schoolchildren and could do its own washing-up has been revealed. The ape - called John Daniel - played with children, ate roses from gardens and even enjoyed drinking tea and cider.

Photographs of its Gloucestershire life - including being carried around by children in a wheelbarrow - have emerged in a new book. Villagers in Uley adopted the lowland gorilla after it was captured as a baby in Gabon when its parents were shot by French officers.

Raised as a boy, John had a bedroom, was potty trained and even knew how to make the bed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/25/untold-story-english-village-adopted-agorilla-raised-boy-drank/

Back to top Go down

Untold story of the English village that raised a gorilla as a boy that drank tea, made its bed and washed up Empty Re: Untold story of the English village that raised a gorilla as a boy that drank tea, made its bed and washed up

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:41 am

We have a story like this in America, too -- the ape is able to type short sentences (140 characters or less) and recently moved into the White House! Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Untold story of the English village that raised a gorilla as a boy that drank tea, made its bed and washed up Empty Re: Untold story of the English village that raised a gorilla as a boy that drank tea, made its bed and washed up

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:42 am

Ben Reilly wrote:We have a story like this in America, too -- the ape is able to type short sentences (140 characters or less) and recently moved into the White House! Laughing

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:44 am

Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread -- that's an amazing story. Gorillas and chimps are awfully close to human, aren't they?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:46 am

Ben Reilly wrote:Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread -- that's an amazing story. Gorillas and chimps are awfully close to human, aren't they?

It was actually very funny.

Yes they are closely related. I had never heard of this story and would be interested to read more.
Sadly I see the animal in the end was sold off to the circus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:50 am

That is sad -- better left to live out the life it knew best in the village. BTW, did you hear that Ringling Bros. is going out of business? All those exotic animals are going to live on wildlife preserves.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:52 am

Ben Reilly wrote:That is sad -- better left to live out the life it knew best in the village. BTW, did you hear that Ringling Bros. is going out of business? All those exotic animals are going to live on wildlife preserves.

I was not aware of that. Good to hear they are getting a decent home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Syl wrote:I just read about this in the Mirror...fascinating story.
It ended sadly, the lady who had looked after him was forced to sell him as he had grown so big. She was duped into selling him to an American family who she believed would care for him, but he was sold on to a circus. He was also displayed in a cage at a zoo.
He pined for his mistress and the zoo boss believed he was heartbroken.

He was removed from public view but still his health deteriorated.
A letter was sent to the woman who had reared him, asking if she could visit urgently, all expenses would be paid.

Sadly the ape died soon after, so she never saw him ...he was still only four years old. Sad

I reckon the Gorilla died of a broken heart
It had been clearly well loved by his adopted owners, to have this then taken away from him, must have been shattering.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:31 pm

What happened to your post Syl?

Was going to give you a green?

scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Thorin wrote:What happened to your post Syl?

scratch

Haha...sorry about that.
I read your OP but not the link.
I made my post, then went back to read the link...and it said everything I had said only in a more professional way, so I deleted my post cos it seemed surplus to requirements. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:What happened to your post Syl?

scratch

Haha...sorry about that.
I made my post, then went back to read the link...and it said everything I had said only in a more professional way, so I deleted my post cos it seemed surplus to requirements. Laughing

I thought your post was lovely, silly.... Laughing

Catch you later.x

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Haha...sorry about that.

I thought your post was lovely, silly.... Laughing

Catch you later.x

Thanks Thor.

This started off a lovely story, it's so sad it had an unhappy ending.

Laters. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread -- that's an amazing story. Gorillas and chimps are awfully close to human, aren't they?

No. I'm nothing like a gorilla. I don't wipe my arse on a jungle floor, nor do I eat bananas all day and I certainly don't groom my friends for fleas. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down