NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Beggars Belief - Lee Rigby's mother 'threatened with arrest' over court hearing

2 posters

Go down

This Beggars Belief - Lee Rigby's mother 'threatened with arrest' over court hearing Empty This Beggars Belief - Lee Rigby's mother 'threatened with arrest' over court hearing

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 am

The mother of murdered soldier Lee Rigby said she was threatened with arrest unless she attended the appeal hearing of an internet troll who taunted her over his death. Lyn Rigby said her treatment by the authorities was “absurd and shocking” after she was summoned to a court hearing where a graphic image from her son’s murder featured as evidence.

Rigby said she was left “trembling from head to foot” when a photo of Islamic extremist Michael Adebolajo, covered in her son’s blood and brandishing a meat cleaver, was shown to the court.

“This has been one of the worst weeks since Lee died and it brought all the terrible emotions flooding back to me as if my son had been murdered all over again,” she told the Sunday People. “I believe in our justice system because it put Lee’s killers behind bars but I don’t believe we should have been forced to court for this man.

“And to threaten us with prosecution if we didn’t attend was just absurd and shocking as well as deeply upsetting. It suggests that my grieving family has somehow done something wrong.”

Christopher Spivey, a grandfather from Rochford, Essex, was convicted of harassing the Rigby family and sending grossly offensive messages over social media in 2015. He had posted a series of comments on social media about the May 2013 killing in Woolwich, south-east London – including claims that the soldier had never existed and that the story of his murder was a conspiracy.

Spivey also published the family’s home addresses and private photographs online and contacted the soldier’s sister, Sarah McClure, claiming her husband, Rob, also a soldier, and Fusilier Rigby were the same person.

Spivey was found guilty and received a suspended sentence. After maintaining his innocence, he launched an appeal that was reportedly dismissed after a four-day hearing at Chelmsford crown court last week. Rigby questioned why she and her daughter were made to attend the hearing via videolink from Bury magistrates court after they submitted witness statements. “It’s horrific enough losing my son in such a violent way but to listen to this man’s twisted drivel was just heaping more misery on me,” she said.

Dave Hines, founder of the National Victims’ Association, criticised her treatment and ministers for failing those affected by crime. 

“I feel for Mrs Rigby and the horrendous ordeal she has had to go through. It’s beyond comprehension, it’s completely outrageous and the public will be shocked. Families like this are let down by the system,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/22/lee-rigby-mother-threatened-arrest-court-hearing-internet-troll

Back to top Go down

This Beggars Belief - Lee Rigby's mother 'threatened with arrest' over court hearing Empty Re: This Beggars Belief - Lee Rigby's mother 'threatened with arrest' over court hearing

Post by Syl Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Its inhumane. Lees family should be left in peace.
Its bad enough braindead trolls want to further torture them, for the British legal system to do the same just beggars belief.

And after all that the cowardly arsehole got a suspended sentence. Evil or Very Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

This Beggars Belief - Lee Rigby's mother 'threatened with arrest' over court hearing Empty Re: This Beggars Belief - Lee Rigby's mother 'threatened with arrest' over court hearing

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Syl wrote:Its inhumane. Lees family should be left in peace.
Its bad enough braindead trolls want to further torture them, for the British legal system to do the same just beggars belief.

And after all that the cowardly arsehole got a suspended sentence. Evil or Very Mad

I think the law needs to changes, as this was basically online psychological Torture to the family
If governments had done this to captured enemies, they would be castigated, but we sadly allow this to happen daily to countless people online, by not protecting them from such mental torture and bullying.
And it is fundamentally mental torture
The law needs to come down harshly on those who mentally bully and push people into a suicidal mindset.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:59 pm

I couldn't agree more Thor.
I'm not sure why people think they can say whatever cruel and evil things they like online....it's like some people turn into machines as soon as they get behind one.

Sentences need to fit the crime...this one certainly doesn't.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Syl wrote:I couldn't agree more Thor.
I'm not sure why people think they can say whatever cruel and evil things they like online....it's like some people turn into machines as soon as they get behind one.

Sentences need to fit the crime...this one certainly doesn't.

I agree Syl.,
They are nothing more than cowards Syl and have no care for the consequences of their actions
Sadly the day of the social media, is being used as a weapon to commit harm to others, more than it is to do good. My views is that we should name and shame bullies publicly. Not only is this a good deterrent, but it will lose them any credibility or standing they have

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:21 pm

How absolutely, gut-wrenchingly awful for a mother to have to go through that. I'm not sure why she even needed to be there at all!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:26 pm

eddie wrote:How absolutely, gut-wrenchingly awful for a mother to have to go through that.  I'm not sure why she even needed to be there at all!

Its sickening Eddie   Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:28 pm

She should've just claimed it was too much stress and was making her ill. It's stupid that she had to be there.
Beyond it being about her son, she didn't need to actually, physically be in the court, did she?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:40 pm

eddie wrote:She should've just claimed it was too much stress and was making her ill. It's stupid that she had to be there.
Beyond it being about her son, she didn't need to actually, physically be in the court, did she?

She should not have to be in court, especially for an appeal Eddie

Catch you later

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down