NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Further on Russian post

2 posters

Go down

Further on Russian post Empty Further on Russian post

Post by Original Quill Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:25 pm

veya wrote:well it's most probably a Scam/Spam
please do NOT post this stuff Anywhere

It would be instructive if you would provide us a description of the scam/spam so we know and can recognize "this stuff" as you describe it.  I posted it because I wanted to learn more about it.  Frankly, I don't even know what concerns you have veya, when you censored it.  

Even if you find it offensive, it would be instructive to learn what is offensive about it.  If it had asked for money, that would be one thing.  But it appears to be an appeal to people with mutual interests in badges/patches and paraphernalia having to do with fire fighting.  It is doubtful that such materials could be misused, as they would be foreign to the possessors.

I know and understand about Nigerian princes asking for seed money/funds to extricate their fortunes from Nigerian banks, offering to share the riches.  But in those scams the 'hook' is obvious.  Could you please educate us on what is the scam/spam--the 'hook' as I say--so we know what to look for.  Unless you do, I fear they are just going to come back on us.

Razz   That is, unless you are running a similar scam, and don't want it us to know how it works and what we can do about it. Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Further on Russian post Empty Re: Further on Russian post

Post by veya_victaous Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:57 pm

Umm quill
You should Not repost SPAM anywhere ever, Now I believe you just copy and pasted text so probably no harm done but the original email probably has malicious scripts in it that have at the minimum sent it to the people in your contact list.
If you received that random email it is because someone is fishing for your details in order to in some way steal from you (be it money or identity)

In the interests of Public wellbeing You DO NOT REPOST you should not even open or keep that shit in your inbox for a second longer than necessary.

the Scams have evolved since the Nigerian Prince, to me that is obviously a scam. If you have naive friends and family on your contact list, you should make sure they do not respond to that email.

you post it to them they have a return mailing address
they'll end up needing some sort of mail insurance or something that get you credit card numbers, just as an example
otherwise just start a conversation with you, you are giving them an address and a name so if they can work out an age date of birth, spouses name they got a pretty good start to spoofing your identity.
next thing you know you have signed up to 6 Russian credit cards and owe 60 million roubles.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:11 am

We re-post all the time.  What do you think Google is?

What are "malicious scripts" and who do you identify them?

Anyway, that's more than anyone else has explained.  I haven't answered or started a conversation with anyone.  I just posted the bald email text here, and asked WTF?  I"m still in the dark.  Got any more as to what it is and how it works?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:20 am

Scam scam scam....
Sorry Quill maybe you just old but
but that is obviously a Scam
as obvious as the fact there is no Candy in this Truck
Further on Russian post 2VC0d
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:27 am

And You Cant identify script in emails it is coded to be hidden and they ran when you opened an Unsolicted email from an address you Did not Know.... 
A.K.A. Exactly What we tell people to NEVER do.

If you had Signed up to some 'Medal swapping society' or something then you may give it a second thought (but my opinon still probably a scam)

To Clarify:
you never repost Random Shit that you got from in an Unsolicted email from an address you Did not Know.. it is literally like advising people to speak to the dodgey looking guy in the alleyway that just mugged you.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:And You Cant identify script in emails it is coded to be hidden and they ran when you opened an Unsolicted email from an address you Did not Know.... 
A.K.A. Exactly What we tell people to NEVER do.

You can't tell who an email if from until you click on it.  Then I just copied it and asked about it.

veya wrote:If you had Signed up to some 'Medal swapping society' or something then you may give it a second thought (but my opinon still probably a scam)

I believe you.  I just want to know more.

veya wrote:To Clarify:
you never repost Random Shit that you got from in an Unsolicted email from an address you Did not Know.. it is literally like advising people to speak to the dodgey looking guy in the alleyway that just mugged you.

Well, eventually every email is a first time send.  So what you are saying is never click on an email you haven't previously seen, or haven't solicited yourself....??

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:41 am

Think of it like normal Mail
Professional Advertising is one thing, Hand Written by someone you know is nice..
Hand Written, unprofessional from someone you don't know should be setting off all sorts of Bullshit alarms.
Same with emails. If it reads like Personal conversation and you don't know the person delete it straight up. this is currently the number one scam, 'social engineering' somone out of their details that can then be used for some other fraud.

P.S. you should be able to tell who it is from.... try adjusting the coloums on your mail program (or hotmail/gmail) one of them shoud be 'sender'.

P.S.S
the big part is Unsolicted, A New mail from someone you know that they have written is fine. If you have signed up for a newletter or made an online purchase from the sender all fine.
Random Russian Chick you have never contacted, should just scream Fraud.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:48 pm

veya_victaous wrote:Think of it like normal Mail
Professional Advertising is one thing, Hand Written by someone you know is nice..
Hand Written, unprofessional from someone you don't know should be setting off all sorts of Bullshit alarms.
Same with emails. If it reads like Personal conversation and you don't know the person delete it straight up. this is currently the number one scam, 'social engineering' somone out of their details that can then be used for some other fraud.

P.S. you should be able to tell who it is from.... try adjusting the coloums on your mail program (or hotmail/gmail) one of them shoud be 'sender'.

P.S.S
the big part is Unsolicted, A New mail from someone you know that they have written is fine. If you have signed up for a newletter or made an online purchase from the sender all fine.

You make some good points, to those of us who haven't thought too much about it.

First, we need to clarify what it means to 'open' an email.  When I go to my inbox, there's a list of emails sent and received by me through my carrier.  I click (not open) on each to see what it is all about.  Is that where the damage can be done?

Then I may open any attachments (where it says 'open').  I was assuming that is where you were pointing when you said 'do not open'.  The carrier warns against opening, but presumably does not warn against clicking on the item from the inbox.  Where is it that these 'malicious scripts' come in.  Are you talking about opening the email, or opening some attachment or inner part of the message?

If you are saying that one should never even 'click' on an email on the inbox, then we should all close our email accounts because the very concept is dangerous.  Even a 'friend' could suddenly become 'unfriendly', if say, you left his or her sister at the alter.  But if you are talking about the 'open' function after you have clicked and found out what the email is all about, that's a different matter.

BTW, of course I was suspicious when I received an unsolicited email from a Russian girl...I was the one who raised the topic, remember?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Original Quill wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:Think of it like normal Mail

P.S.S

You make some good points, to those of us who haven't thought too much about it.

First, we need to clarify what it means to 'open' an email.  When I go to my inbox, there's a list of emails sent and received by me through my carrier.  I click (not open) on each to see what it is all about.  Is that where the damage can be done?
Normally in the summary/table mode it is fine, and only clicking on it will cause a script to run (note: some stronger 'viruses' in the past have been able to run as soon as recieved, these are blocked your mail host and there is not a lot you can do to protect yourself)

Then I may open any attachments (where it says 'open').  I was assuming that is where you were pointing when you said 'do not open'.  The carrier warns against opening, but presumably does not warn against clicking on the item from the inbox.  Where is it that these 'malicious scripts' come in.  Are you talking about opening the email, or opening some attachment or inner part of the message?
the attached virus is the oldest and weakest virus in emails, newer ones are encoded into the body or header of the email itself, they are invisible in a Standard web browser. technically your email provider should protect you against these BUT in pretty much all cases there are some people infected before they become aware of it's existance.

If you are saying that one should never even 'click' on an email on the inbox, then we should all close our email accounts because the very concept is dangerous.  Even a 'friend' could suddenly become 'unfriendly', if say, you left his or her sister at the alter.  But if you are talking about the 'open' function after you have clicked and found out what the email is all about, that's a different matter.
umm no, by that logic you should get rid of the letter box and never use mail cause people could send you anthrax or something Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes the point is like a envelope full of anthrax you don't then send it on or hand it around for inspection by randoms, you report/dispose/fix the issue. 

BTW, of course I was suspicious when I received an unsolicited email from a Russian girl...I was the one who raised the topic, remember?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:08 am

True, but with the anthrax in an envelope example, I have opened up the mail box, but not the letter. So you're saying I can click and open, but not open any enclosures or attachments. Right?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:48 am

even click to open is a risk, but generally any script will be restricted to what it can access from the emailbox. (normally the only consistent thing of value is the contact list.) (p.s. your emailbox is just a database from a technical perspective)

Just like You could get infected by the anthrax without opening the envelope, but the odds greatly go up if you did open the envelope.

little you can do for 100% protection, just like real life infection, but just like real life infection it makes more difference how you deal with it than how you got it. clean/disinfect straight away, isolate it and don't spread it Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Got it. Thx.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down