NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym"

+8
blackie333
nicko
'Wolfie
JulesV
magica
Syl
Original Quill
eddie
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" Empty Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym"

Post by eddie Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance

A woman has been told off by a magistrate for coming to court "dressed like she was going to the gym".

Ipswich Magistrate Stuart Shearer criticised 20-year-old Breanna Daphney Potter, who pleaded guilty to driving on a suspended licence and to failing to dispose of a syringe, when she showed up in court dressed in a Nike singlet and women's running shorts.

"Do you think it's appropriate to come to court dressed as if you are going to the gym?" he asked Potter.

"This is a formal proceeding and you are expected to dress appropriately."

Potter was convicted and fined $800. Her licence was also disqualified for a month.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/ipswich-magistrates-rebuke-over-court-appearance-20151118-gl2ll3.html

The judge was right!! What did she think she was doing, attending court for a game of tennis? (See what I did?)
People like this have no respect.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" Empty Re: Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym"

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Meh...happens all the time.  Only in Federal Court do you have to wear a suit and tie.  In state court, its usually what the dot.com folks are wearing, khaki pants and an oxford cloth button down.  You wear a suit for a trial, but not motions and first appearances.

Dress down Friday, it's jeans and a t-shirt, in the office.  Put on a shirt for a court appearance.  

I always wear a tie, but as the boss I have to fulfill expectations.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" Empty Re: Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym"

Post by eddie Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:56 pm

She's not working there she's there because she was naughty, and besides that, none of the attire you just described was gym gear anyway so I'm not following your point.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Some people just don't have standards...the judge was right.

It's just a step up from going shopping or taking your kids to school wearing pajamas. My son once worked in a factory and someone came for an interview in slippers....no standards and no pride.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Slippers? Hahahaha what was he thinking, that the interviewer was going to tuck him in when he arrived?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:02 pm

eddie wrote:She's not working there she's there because she was naughty, and besides that, none of the attire you just described was gym gear anyway so I'm not following your point.

More fussy PC nonsense. Just an officious judge, probably starting his man-period. Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Not sure...he didn't get the job though...surprisingly. Cool .
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Standards are standards. Going to Court dressed like that, shows no respect. The Judge was right imo.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:06 pm

A wealthy client of a firm I worked for used to show up for his depositions with his pajamas showing out of the bottom of his trousers. His PJ tops he passed off as a shirt. Bedroom slippers, too.

Owned dozens of mega-tall office buildings all over California. He could do what he wanted.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:07 pm

magica wrote:Standards are standards. Going  to Court dressed like that, shows no respect. The Judge was right imo.

Maybe that's the point.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:A wealthy client of a firm I worked for used to show up for his depositions with his pajamas showing out of the bottom of his trousers.  His PJ tops he passed off as a shirt.  Bedroom slippers, too.

Owned dozens of mega-tall office buildings all over California.  He could do what he wanted.

Just shows that money cant buy class.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Original Quill wrote:
magica wrote:Standards are standards. Going  to Court dressed like that, shows no respect. The Judge was right imo.

Maybe that's the point.

Dressing like that makes her look a plum not the Judge
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:A wealthy client of a firm I worked for used to show up for his depositions with his pajamas showing out of the bottom of his trousers.  His PJ tops he passed off as a shirt.  Bedroom slippers, too.

Owned dozens of mega-tall office buildings all over California.  He could do what he wanted.

Shows a blatent disregard for her crime too.
I'd have been happy to slap a fine on her for some other misdemeanour.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Syl wrote:

I think he did it on purpose.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:33 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Shows a blatent disregard for her crime too.
I'd have been happy to slap a fine on her for some other misdemeanour.

I see a lot of defendants dressed like that in the lower courts.  But I hesitate to say they are doing it to show contempt for the court, because most of the jurors dress that way too.  Court seems to bring that out in them...like it's a day-off.

In this case, maybe the girl thought showing a little bare skin might be to her advantage.  Stuart seems to have been moved.  Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:36 pm

Hahaha she should've gone in her bra and knickers, he might've let her off and paid her for her trouble.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 pm

Jurors here seem to have a bit more respect for the courts. When I did jury service I didn't see anyone out of the dozens of people serving looking less than smart.
It's also pretty strict, if you show up late you are punished. One woman I heard of went shopping in her lunch break, came back late. The judge asked her if she had bought anything nice...she said yes, he said what did you spend, she said £160..(something like that) so he fined her that amount.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Syl wrote:Jurors here seem to have a bit more respect for the courts. When I did jury service I didn't see anyone out of the dozens of people serving looking less than smart.
It's also pretty strict, if you show up late you are punished. One woman I heard of  went shopping in her lunch break, came back late. The judge asked her if she had bought anything nice...she said yes, he said what did you spend, she said £160..(something like that) so he fined her that amount.

I think that's only right too. Im starting a college course soon and I won't be showing up in gym shorts. I won't wear a suit - hate them! - but I'll wear something purdy. And my electric blue doc martens cos they're just really cool.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:06 pm

It's all part of the erosion of standards and I daren't ask about the syringe. What a Face

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Jules wrote:It's all part of the erosion of standards and I daren't ask about the syringe. What a Face

Yes! Glad you mentioned that, I knew there was something else. The syringe. What was that all about?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Where did she stick it, was she diabetic or druggie.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:56 am

G'Day

IPSWICH...

Doesn't surprise me that she couldn't be bothered respecting the court..

Just have a gander at a map, and see where Ipswich is.
Back of buggery; hundreds of miles from anywhere, thousands of miles from care..
Main industries coal mining and beef cattle farming...

They're probably just fortunate that she didn't turn up in pyjamas and ugh boots !!!          Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" 4214183177
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:07 am

Bit like Alice Springs actually!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:54 am

Laughing

Except that, in Alice their main industry would be Tourism...

And Ipswich would have a few more permanent residents..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:39 pm

eddie wrote:Hahaha she should've gone in her bra and knickers, he might've let her off and paid her for her trouble.

If you want to get into deep psychology, I think it disturbed him that he was turned on a bit, and his response was to blame the girl. It's called transferred intent.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Syl wrote:Jurors here seem to have a bit more respect for the courts. When I did jury service I didn't see anyone out of the dozens of people serving looking less than smart.
It's also pretty strict, if you show up late you are punished. One woman I heard of  went shopping in her lunch break, came back late. The judge asked her if she had bought anything nice...she said yes, he said what did you spend, she said £160..(something like that) so he fined her that amount.

Judges try to be cute, admittedly.  But tardiness disrupts others, and there's a reason you get in their face.  

Dress, on the other hand, doesn't disrupt anyone.  I've done more that serve on a jury.  I've tried hundreds of cases before a jury.  Here's what I mean about dress:

Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" 300-TeenCourtJury  Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" Springer-trial-jury-2-f97e37f5a8e7eb15  Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" Jurors

Sweatshirts, no ties, t-shirts, hoodies, jeans, tennis shoes, denim jackets...stuff you'd expect to see at the county fair, on a holiday, but not in a more formal setting.

I think what provoked Judge Stuart in this case was that a gym outfit can be sexually provocative, and that disturbed him.  Isn't this Queensland, about the same proximity in the southern hemisphere as Florida, 27-degrees latitude either way?  Never been in Ipswich, but I'll bet there are a lot of shorts that show up in Miami courts.

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:59 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: Laughing

Except that,  in Alice their main industry would be Tourism...

And Ipswich would have a few more permanent residents..

Maybe Judge Stuart was trying to change the image of Queensland. pirat

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:01 pm

They don't look very smart but at least they are covered up.

This woman was up in court not sitting on a jury, the judge should have added contempt of court to the two charges she was already facing....she has no respect either for herself or for the court.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Syl wrote:They don't look very smart but at least they are covered up.

This woman was up in court not sitting on a jury, the judge should have added contempt of court to the two charges she was already facing....she has no respect either for herself or for the court.

Meh...he'd be giving her grounds for appeal, and the case would go into next year. Also, he'd be pulled off the case by the Chief Judge, and perhaps reported to the judicial council for discipline. It's sketchy in that position.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:13 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:They don't look very smart but at least they are covered up.

Meh...he'd be giving her grounds for appeal, and the case would go into next year.  Also, he'd be pulled off the case by the Chief Judge, and perhaps reported to the judicial council for discipline.  It's sketchy in that position.

Well then hopefully he gave her the maximum fine and showed her no mercy.
You said previously that maybe he was 'turned on' by her lack of dress and that's why he made mention of it....do you think a female judge would have not objected to the way she turned up at court?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:23 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Meh...he'd be giving her grounds for appeal, and the case would go into next year.  Also, he'd be pulled off the case by the Chief Judge, and perhaps reported to the judicial council for discipline.  It's sketchy in that position.

Well then hopefully he gave her the maximum fine and showed her no mercy.
You said previously that maybe he was 'turned on' by her lack of dress and that's why he made mention of it....do you think a female judge would have not objected to the way she turned up at court?

I said maybe that's what was happening.  And he might have boosted her sentence, we'll never know if her dress figured into it.  Remember, she's on trial for a criminal traffic offense, not for violation of a dress code.

Contempt of court is more than it's worth.  Judges aren't gods.  When you cite for contempt of court, usually they have to hold a hearing, present charges, present evidence and make a thorough record.  It's like a mini-trial within a trial.  And...it can be appealed (hence the record).  You have to ask, how much is it worth when it started out running a stop sign or an illegal lane change.  Full trials are more expensive than a heart transplant. You don't throw contempt of court citations like cotton candy.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:32 am

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Hahaha she should've gone in her bra and knickers, he might've let her off and paid her for her trouble.

If you want to get into deep psychology, I think it disturbed him that he was turned on a bit, and his response was to blame the girl.  It's called transferred intent.

Yes I know. But perhaps he wasn't turned on at all and just found it disrespectful? Not all men are like that.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:52 am

Apparently people have been charged with contempt of court for just yawning....she was a lot more disrespectful than that imo.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:02 am

Syl wrote:Apparently people have been charged with contempt of court for just yawning....she was a lot more disrespectful than that imo.

Haha...was the yawn before or after the judge spoke. I've got better things to worry about.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:14 am

Driving on a ban is considered disrespectful enough to warrant a jail term...

She got off lightly...

But this was in australia wasn't it...?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:17 am

blackie333 wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Haha...was the yawn before or after the judge spoke.  I've got better things to worry about.

Such as what OQ?

Bigger cases...higher courts. More important issues. This is just about a traffic court judge trying to boost his own esteem.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:34 am

It's absurd to blame the judge. Of course people should dress properly when they're in court. Turning up like that shows she didn't give a damn.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:45 am

nicko wrote:Bit like Alice Springs actually!

I liked Alice Springs and Coober Pedy, Mount Isa on the other hand was a very strange place.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:03 pm

sunny

I'VE never been to Mt. Isa. (At least not yet..).

However :

It is a uniquely mining town, owing it's very existence to a gigantic lead, silver and zinc mine...
Probably the most famous product of Mt. Isa is former world #1 golfer Greg Norman..       Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" 1366281442
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:10 pm

I see Mt. Isa has a KMART and a McDonald's, but Outback had to open up out-of-town.  Reminds me of places in Yukon Territory, only no snow.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Original Quill wrote:I see Mt. Isa has a KMART and a McDonald's, but Outback had to open up out-of-town.  Reminds me of places in Yukon Territory, only no snow.

I do recall when we got to Uluru, an American family were very disappointed at what they saw or didn't see rather. They were not happy there were no malls or shopping opportunities. They decided to stay on the bus.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:20 am

Walmart's the devil, Blacks. That's all you need to know. But if you want to know more, there's plenty of info on how that Arkansas redneck family's business has fucked over millions of people and really done a number on young Chinese people.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:55 am

Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" 1399249160 AS A FAMILY, those Waltons are the wealthiest family on the planet...

Combined assets of over $130 billion..

Double the wealth of the likes of Bill Gates or Warren Buffett.
More than all of the Royal families of Europe combined..

And, they do have a bad reputation for paying minimum wages and poor working conditions, while importing many of their products from low wage countries like China, Bangladesh, Mexico, Indonesia...

AS WITH supermarkets and "big box" retailers, stores like Walmart are also destructive of many small businesses --     especially the artisan/fine craftsmen type of business -- whenever they move into another location; mainly due to uneven competition, and skewing the local markets.. Ipswich magistrate's rebuke over court appearance "dressed like she's going to the gym" 1284863816
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next