NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering.

+12
veya_victaous
Tommy Monk
Andy
Ben Reilly
stardesk
JulesV
magica
eddie
The Devil, You Know
HoratioTarr
nicko
Syl
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering. Empty If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering.

Post by Syl Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:13 pm

So says physicist Stephen Hawkins who is convinced we are not the only intelligent living beings in the universe.

Does he have a point? We cant get on with our fellow human beings, what chance would we have finding peace with any other intelligent life force?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/stephen-hawking-if-aliens-call-we-should-be-wary-of-answering/ar-BBwziEd?ocid=spartanntp

"Hawking said his Breakthrough Listen Initiative, which uses sensitive radio telescopes to pick up potential signals from planets, is in the range of Gliese 832c. 
He said one day we might receive a signal back from a planet like Gliese 832c. 
“We should be wary of answering back,” he said.  “Meeting an advanced civilization could be like Native Americans encountering Columbus — that didn’t turn out so well.” 
According to Hawking, the discovery of intelligent life would be the greatest scientific discovery in history." 

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering. Empty Re: If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering.

Post by Syl Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:27 pm

And if they did call....who would you trust to answer?

Our PM What a Face ....Trump... Razz ...Putin , Shocked China's leader (whoever that is) I expect if Aliens did call (proving they are far superior to us because they have actually found intelligent life and so far we have not) would they take one look and zoom back to whence they came? Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering. Empty Re: If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering.

Post by nicko Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Where did they find the "intelligent life"?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Syl wrote:And if they did call....who would you trust to answer?

Our PM What a Face ....Trump... Razz ...Putin , Shocked China's leader (whoever that is) I expect if Aliens did call (proving they are far superior to us because they have actually found intelligent life and so far we have not) would they take one look and zoom back to whence they came? Twisted Evil

What alien culture, with the intelligence, technology and progression to travel light years, would bother with us?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:23 pm

of course we should be wary, any beings travelling interstellar distances are coming to stay.
there may be a reason that we dont hear signals from elsewhere. Perhaps they have all learnt their lesson and know to shut up.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 pm

nicko wrote:Where did they find the "intelligent life"?

They came to my door Nicko.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:07 pm

eddie wrote:

And left pronto?? Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:08 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:And if they did call....who would you trust to answer?

What alien culture, with the intelligence, technology and progression to travel light years, would bother with us?    

They could experiment on us... Cool
Some people swear that's what has already happened to them......I think it's possible.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

And left pronto?? Razz

Yeah. Especially when they saw that I had not let the Jehovah's Witnesses go from last week.....
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:14 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:
And left pronto?? Razz

Yeah. Especially when they saw that I had not let the Jehovah's Witnesses go from last week.....

Lol....have you heard the song "Angie baby"?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Yes. What are you saying Syllabus?
That's your new name. I'm studying you
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:51 pm

eddie wrote:Yes. What are you saying Syllabus?

It makes me sound like something out of "I Claudius"...or even worse "Up Pompei"....so stop it at once. tongue
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Some people swear that's what has already happened to them......I think it's possible.
we would either end up cattle or slaves
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Yes. What are you saying Syllabus?

It makes me sound like something out of "I Claudius"...or even worse "Up Pompei"....so stop it at once. tongue

Pfffff. It's catchy. It'll catch on. You'll see. Neutral
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:03 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Then you will be forever known as EDISHER  Razz ....and there is such a name, and the meaning (considering why you are calling me Syllabus) is very apt.

Actually Edisher, the quick def I saw was having an "Analytical mind".....but I just found an in depth reading of the name....and I still think it suits you. Cool

http://www.namekun.com/name-meaning-of/edisher

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:34 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:
Syl wrote:

we would either end up cattle or slaves

Cattle?? to milk or to eat?? Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:08 pm

I believe they're already here.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:09 am

They are here, look at Corbyn Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:31 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Then you will be forever known as EDISHER  Razz ....and there is such a name, and the meaning (considering why you are calling me Syllabus) is very apt.

Actually Edisher, the quick def I saw was having an "Analytical mind".....but I just found an in depth reading of the name....and I still think it suits you. Cool

I like it Syllabus! It's great. cheers
Perhaps we should go into business together? Find everyone a new name.
Could charge 500 quid a name. The idiots on here will pay it. afro
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:24 am

nicko wrote:They are here,    look at Corbyn Laughing

Sadly we will have to keep looking....he won yesterday. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:29 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

I like it Syllabus! It's great. cheers
Perhaps we should go into business together? Find everyone a new name.
Could charge 500 quid a name. The idiots on here will pay it. afro

"Syllabus and Edisher"....the name alone is impressive, we could make a fortune. If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering. Smileys-money-114847
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:10 pm

I like the cut of your chips young lady.

And we've derailed the thread. Suspect
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:19 pm

We could have the logo in green...the same colour as aliens (maybe)alien so actually it all ties in. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:42 pm

I'll sort it Syl.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

No, they don't need to do any experiments. They are super-intelligent,  remember  - they have all the answers already. They'd probably think Newton and Einstein were dunces.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:46 pm

They could us for amusement instead. As a lesser lifeform, we'd make great playthings.  Basketball

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi gang, hope you're all ok, talking nicely to each other and not swearing...as if you would! I'm only joking

I think Prof Hawking is right in that there is life out there in the universe. This little planet of ours hosts 30 million species of life. Do you honestly believe that out of millions of planets this is the only one to support life? No way, that just doesn't seem logical to my mind. Life, or Nature, will seed life wherever possible, utilizing all manner of chemicals that may seem alien to us. They may not be little men in flying saucers but then, who knows? One day we will when our technology advances further on.

Your thoughts on that, folks.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:51 pm

stardesk wrote:Hi gang, hope you're all ok, talking nicely to each other and not swearing...as if you would! I'm only joking

I think Prof Hawking is right in that there is life out there in the universe. This little planet of ours hosts 30 million species of life. Do you honestly believe that out of millions of planets this is the only one to support life? No way, that just doesn't seem logical to my mind. Life, or Nature, will seed life wherever possible, utilizing all manner of chemicals that may seem alien to us. They may not be little men in flying saucers but then, who knows? One day we will when our technology advances further on.

Your thoughts on that, folks.

First off, I want to say I do think life probably does exist elsewhere in the universe, whether microbial, "intelligent" or somewhere in between.

But we do have to temper our expectations, for a few big reasons:

1) The Earth is in its star's Goldilocks zone, has enough gravitational force to hold onto an atmosphere but not so much that it crushes everything, has an abnormally large moon to create tides (aerating the ocean), has a crust that is just radioactive enough to foster evolution without destroying living things, is largely covered in water, and is protected from comets and asteroids by four massive outer planets (and possible a fifth). Not many planets that we know of tick off all those boxes.

2) The sheer age of the universe means that even if life is relatively common throughout the universe, many planets would have once supported life but have since gone through one catastrophe or another that rendered them uninhabitable. After all, it will happen to Earth some day, and has nearly happened to Earth several times already.

Given those factors, I think life is probably pretty rare in the universe (at least more rare than some believe) and intelligent life even rarer.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:00 pm

Firstly......what???. What is a "Goldilocks Zone"? scratch

Secondly, how can you even doubt there's other life somewhere? It's a big place, that universe! It's madness to believe we are the only life form in the universe.
Madness.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:07 pm

eddie wrote:Firstly......what???. What is a "Goldilocks Zone"? scratch

Secondly, how can you even doubt there's other life somewhere? It's a big place, that universe! It's madness to believe we are the only life form in the universe.
Madness.

In astronomy and astrobiology, the circumstellar habitable zone (CHZ), or simply the habitable zone, is the range of orbits around a star within which a planetary surface can support liquid water given sufficient atmospheric pressure.[1][2] The bounds of the CHZ are based on Earth's position in the Solar System and the amount of radiant energy it receives from the Sun. Due to the importance of liquid water to Earth's biosphere, the nature of the CHZ and the objects within is thought to be instrumental in determining the scope and distribution of Earth-like extraterrestrial life and intelligence.
The habitable zone is also called the Goldilocks zone, a metaphor of the children's fairy tale of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears", in which a little girl chooses from sets of three items, ignoring the ones that are too extreme (large or small, hot or cold, etc.), and settling on the one in the middle, which is "just right".

Secondly, I do think there's life out there -- just maybe not very much, and possibly not very advanced.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:10 pm

That is such a cool name for a habitable zone.

"Okay guys, I'm off to live in the Goldilocks Zone....and I'm taking my big floor cushion"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:18 pm

eddie wrote:That is such a cool name for a habitable zone.  

"Okay guys, I'm off to live in the Goldilocks Zone....and I'm taking my big floor cushion"

And never forget:

If Aliens call, we should be wary of answering. 7927943_orig

(Originally posted by Veya)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:19 pm

It's nice but what is it? Because it reminds me of a sex education video and now I've seen it as that, well, I can't un-see it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:36 pm

eddie wrote:It's nice but what is it? Because it reminds me of a sex education video and now I've seen it as that, well, I can't un-see it.

It's what our solar system really looks like traveling through space.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:41 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:It's nice but what is it? Because it reminds me of a sex education video and now I've seen it as that, well, I can't un-see it.

It's what our solar system really looks like traveling through space.

Pretty.
My version was better.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Yep....fastest sperm wins the race. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Syl wrote:

S'actly. Pffffff at least you liked my version. Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:33 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well that's what it looked like to me too. Cool
Bet the lead one would father a right bruiser....he was massive. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well that's what it looked like to me too. Cool
Bet the lead one would father a right bruiser....he was massive. Razz

He was rather. Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:30 pm

My sperm dont need to be good swimmers. They are delivered directly to the door.
Just an aside, if an alien like the beast in Predator or Alien were to land here and see Tom or Stormee first, they would probably turn and run away. Their report to homeworld "A backward people filled with hatred and anger. They are an inward looking race and are spoiling for a fight. They need to learn compassion and humanity before we can do business".
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Andy, I would agree with you on that one. They would judge us as being mere animals, constantly fighting each other, not at all civilized.

Ben, history shows us there have been several asteroid strikes on Earth. You have one in the US, I forget its name and location. Then there was a massive one off the coast of Venezuela or Guiana, not sure which now. And of course the one which was huge and caused the demise of the Dinosaur age. NASA has a team which constantly search for potential asteroid strikes.

As for the Goldilocks zone, the sun is halfway through its life cycle, it's middle aged, so obviously so is Earth and the Solar System.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:41 pm

Handy Andy wrote:My sperm dont need to be good swimmers. They are delivered directly to the door.
Just an aside,  if an alien like the beast in Predator or Alien were to land here and see Tom or Stormee first, they would probably turn and run away. Their report to homeworld "A backward people filled with hatred and anger. They are an inward  looking race and are spoiling  for a fight. They need to learn compassion and humanity before we can do business".

Funny... we all remember how hostile and dangerous the alien and predator were... and the likes of hand shandy would be welcoming them in with open arms to carry out carnage on the locals... and would be telling us all how good it was for us all in the name of diversity etc... would be actively involved in covering up the truth of the problems they were causing... and telling us how they were of a religion of peace...!

Sound familiar...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:22 am

quite frankly if intelligent life came to earth it still would not have found intelligent life..
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:45 am

If it comes I'll take the call leading them to believe that because of my accent I'm Scotty.

We should welcome any contact from another life surely as it can only be an impromvent on the state of our planet at the moment.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:39 am

As long as they don't land in Australia and the first thing they see is a Kangaroo, "take me to your leader" could cause problems.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm

stardesk wrote:Andy, I would agree with you on that one. They would judge us as being mere animals, constantly fighting each other, not at all civilized.

Ben, history shows us there have been several asteroid strikes on Earth. You have one in the US, I forget its name and location. Then there was a massive one off the coast of Venezuela or Guiana, not sure which now. And of course the one which was huge and caused the demise of the Dinosaur age. NASA has a team which constantly search for potential asteroid strikes.

As for the Goldilocks zone, the sun is halfway through its life cycle, it's middle aged, so obviously so is Earth and the Solar System.

Sure, but if it weren't for Uranus, Neptune, Saturn and Jupiter, the inner solar system would have been pummeled by many more asteroids and comets. And yeah, no Goldilocks zone lasts forever, which is why I pointed out that life could have risen and been wiped out many times before in other parts of the universe.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:43 pm

It's a scientific fact (I think) that where there is water there is life....presumably we are not the only planet with water. Out of the billions of planets out there we cant be the only intelligent (yes I know that's debatable) life force surely??

I used to tell my grandson when he was small that there are more starts in the sky than grains of sand on the beach....he (and me) used to find that mind blowing.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
stardesk wrote:Andy, I would agree with you on that one. They would judge us as being mere animals, constantly fighting each other, not at all civilized.

Sure, but if it weren't for Uranus, Neptune, Saturn and Jupiter, the inner solar system would have been pummeled by many more asteroids and comets. And yeah, no Goldilocks zone lasts forever, which is why I pointed out that life could have risen and been wiped out many times before in other parts of the universe.

I see your point Ben.  And the point that, given probabilities, there is a greater likelihood of life out there.  But the same probabilities make it nearly impossible for two or more life forms to meet each other...the distances are too great.  Space warp poses an answer, but it's essentially only a theory.

Besides, some say we just need to build a wall to keep out aliens.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Perhaps the aliens will come and reclaim Trump.....?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:58 pm

eddie wrote:Perhaps the aliens will come and reclaim Trump.....?

They are all rapists and criminals. Poor Donald. Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next