NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We’re discovering new ways to detect if someone is lying

4 posters

Go down

We’re discovering new ways to detect if someone is lying Empty We’re discovering new ways to detect if someone is lying

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:44 am

Can you tell if someone is lying? Our ability to spot a lie is only just better than guessing with the flip of a coin. But, surprisingly, it’s easier to tell whether a person is fibbing if they are wearing a veil, suggests a fresh study.

The experiment was devised by researchers at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology in Canada, and the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. They filmed two videos of a woman watching a stranger’s bag, one of which showed the woman stealing items from it. They then played one or the other video separately to female volunteers designated as “witnesses”.
After this, the witnesses were asked to “testify” to a video camera that they had not seen the woman steal anything – meaning that half ended up telling the truth and half had to lie. They were each motivated by a prize of $50 if they could convince people that they were being truthful.

But there was a twist. A third of the volunteers were asked to wear a black niqab – which hides the whole face apart from the eyes – and a third a black hijab, which surrounds the face without covering any of it. The other third did not wear a veil.

Veil of truth

When the researchers then played these video testimonies to other volunteers, they found that they were much better at telling whether a woman was lying or not if she was wearing a hijab or niqab.

This could be because in those cases, the viewer was less likely to rely on appearance. In the case of the niqab, the veil may have focused attention on the women’s eyes, helping to block out distracting information. Liars tended to make less eye contact with the camera than those who told the truth, so focusing on the eyes of those wearing niqabs could help people notice this.

It also appears that niqabs caused the volunteers wearing them to reveal more verbal information than those who wore hijabs or no veil. This might suggest that the niqabs resulted in more information for those watching to base their judgements on, shifting the focus away from appearance and body language.

This finding is interesting in light of a 2013 UK court case in which a judge instructed a defendant charged with intimidating a witness to remove her veil. The judge argued that it was necessary to see her face to assess how truthful she was being – but the new findings suggest that this may not have been the case.

However, even though the lie-spotters guessed more accurately when a woman was wearing a veil, they still showed a slight bias. This might be linked to them being keen to show they weren’t prejudiced: if a woman had a hijab on, the volunteers were more likely to guess that she was telling the truth.

Look to language

The role of eyes in lie detection is complicated. There’s a popular theory that “liars look up and to the right”, but this has been debunked – there is no correlation between lying and which particular direction your eyes move. Blink frequency doesn’t seem to be related to telling a lie either. Instead, eye contact and speech patterns seem to be more promising ways to detect a fibber through observation alone.

Our lie-detection odds of just over 50:50 remain about the same when we’re reading lies on paper too. But a team led by Stephan Ludwig at the University of Westminster, UK, recently tried using automated text analysis on computers, with astounding results.
The researchers designed a model that looks for linguistic cues that could indicate a lie – for example, not using personal pronouns like “I” or “you”, which might imply someone is trying to distance themselves from what they are saying. They also made the model measure factors such as self-deprecating or flattering language.

To test it, they worked with a technology firm that often needs to detect deception in business communications. In the trial, the model analysed more than 8000 emails bidding for awards based on a company’s performance. Using text-mining software, the model analysed these bids for fibs, with the results then compared against those of an independent investigation by the company’s account managers.

The investigation verified that the model correctly classified 70 per cent of reward requests as either truthful or deceitful. A person reading those emails would have done far worse.

Machine prosecutors

It’s important to remember that we’ve attempted to use technology to identify lies before, and have been wrong. Techniques such as the polygraph test are now widely discredited and seen as pseudoscience, but this has not stopped their continued use by police forces in the UK and around the world.

However, when research, verification and validation are used to test and improve lie-detection technology, such techniques may pave the way to a world in which lies are not detected by people, but by machines. The Westminster researchers suggest that their technique may be able to detect deception in everything from visa applications to dating profiles.

Perhaps in the distant future we’ll be tried by computers, before being sentenced by judges and juries and women will be allowed to wear veils in court.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2098509-were-discovering-new-ways-to-detect-if-someone-is-lying/

Back to top Go down

We’re discovering new ways to detect if someone is lying Empty Re: We’re discovering new ways to detect if someone is lying

Post by eddie Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:05 am

I can always spot a lie. It's so easy. And each individual is different.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

We’re discovering new ways to detect if someone is lying Empty Re: We’re discovering new ways to detect if someone is lying

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:11 am

Great scientific reply again.
It takes years of studying people to recgonize traits individually in people to see the tells of lying. Its certainly not easy, as if it was, people would be taken into court as experts to be used to denote if people are lying.
So you will forgive me when I say I doubt you are.
I will not dispute where mothers have raised children and stayed at home, they do pick up better than fathers lies from children but again this is hit and miss.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:15 am

I can always tell when someone is lying to me.
I don't need to you tell me that a scientist sitting in a room has suddenly got it all sussed.

If you can't tell when someone is lying to you that really doesn't surprise me Didge. You don't even grasp simple, subtle humour and often read people's subtle meanings completely wrong.

I completely know when someone is lying becasue most people are crap at it and those that aren't haven't got a good enough lie detector net to keep me out.

Sorry it's not the answer you wanted but I will bet most people know when someone they're talking to is lying.

I don't have liars around me anyway; lie to me and you're binned.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:19 am

eddie wrote:I can always tell when someone is lying to me.
I don't need to you tell me that a scientist sitting in a room has suddenly got it all sussed.

If you can't tell when someone is lying to you that really doesn't surprise  me Didge. You don't even grasp simple, subtle  humour and often read people's subtle meanings completely wrong.

I completely know when someone is lying becasue most people are crap at it and those that aren't haven't got a good enough lie detector net to keep me out.

Sorry it's not the answer you wanted but I will bet most people know when someone they're talking to is lying.

I don't have liars around me anyway; lie to me and you're binned.

Well as I have studied body language, doing psychology, I am not bad at detecting some lies, but do not claim to spot every single one and anyone claiming they can are simply talking nonsense. So you will have to accept I take your hearsay withj a pinch of salt
So your claim is now based on people being crap at lying which would then make your ability to spot those good at lying undetectable, as your ability to spot is based on poor liars, which is generally children, as I already stated. Children give away too many signals.

I bet most people get it wrong countless times and the worst part is they can wrongly confuse someone not based on any lie, but due to a lack of trust and the person doing this then has trust issues. The rot cause to that is where to solve the problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:06 am

So you're good at spotting liars becasue you read their body language.
Yes Didge. That's all it is.

So basically, even though it bites you in the arse, you've basically agree with me.

Cheese and bread! Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:19 am

eddie wrote:So you're good at spotting liars becasue you read their body language.
Yes Didge. That's all it is.

So basically, even though it bites you in the arse, you've basically agree with me.

Cheese and bread! Rolling Eyes

No I do not agree with you, hence why my points differ from you and the fact you seem to claim its easy based on again nothing scientific and that you think I have to simply have to believe you.
Guess what, when a person fails to see they are dishonest even to themselves, then you know they are poor at detecting lies.

Prefer toasted cheese

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am

Whenever I interviewed a politician, and during my time the subjects ranged from local councillors to John Major, I always approached the job with one question in the back of my mind: "Why is this bastard lying to me?"
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Whenever I interviewed a politician, and during my time the subjects ranged from local councillors to John Major, I always approached the job with one question in the back of my mind: "Why is this bastard lying to me?"

Morning me Lord

You should have invoked the phrase to him:

Don't bullshit a bullshitter. As you well know Major would never have been able to talk around you on many a subject, being as you are adept at many.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:47 am

Didge wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:Whenever I interviewed a politician, and during my time the subjects ranged from local councillors to John Major, I always approached the job with one question in the back of my mind: "Why is this bastard lying to me?"

Morning me Lord

Don't bullshit a bullshitter. As you well know Major would never have been able to talk around you on many a subject, being as you are adept at many.

So....you believe Lord wd can spot a liar but not me.

On yes, I forgot. Your tongue is rammed firmly up his arse and the arses of most that you don't like to get on the wrong side of.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:22 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Morning me Lord

On yes, I forgot. Your tongue is rammed firmly up his arse and the arses of most that you don't like to get on the wrong  side of.

Reported for abuse

No never claimed anything in regards to me Lord spotting a liar and shows you have no comprehension of its meaning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Also as you claimed this the other night with Victor when you banned me last week, it shows you are even more so singling me out and making it personal.

In regards to both Me Lord and Victor I have never shied away from any confrontation with either, but you clearly said this to goad to also start a confrontation. So I am going to ensure Ben acts now, due to as seen you are unfit and no longer able be a a fair moderator. When you cease to be impartial and are blatantly biased with dislike against posters.
That is abusing your position

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Burger.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Morning me Lord

On yes, I forgot. Your tongue is rammed firmly up his arse and the arses of most that you don't like to get on the wrong  side of.

Reported for abuse

No never claimed anything in regards to me Lord spotting a liar and shows you have no comprehension of its meaning.

Come on, Didge. That wasn’t a nice thing for her to say, but it’s not against the rules.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:22 pm

I've said, and read, worse.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Reported for abuse

Come on, Didge. That wasn’t a nice thing for her to say, but it’s not against the rules.

Its not about what is said, as she has called me all day long once a c**t sdimply for saying we were never friends.
I never reported this, as not bothered by words themseves, so you are missing the point Ben
My report is on here singling me out, which you need to get back to me on as she has lost the plot

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Hang on folks...one post after being awol and I'm in already in the centre of a bunfight!

I'm quite happy to be called a bullshitter.

As I suspect Ben will know, any journalist who has to interview a politician about, say, an allegation of expenses fiddling, followed an hour later by an interview with a guy who can fart the tune of the national anthem,  HAS to be a bullshitter.

You can't do that sort of job without having a few background facts and stats to hand, and when there's no time to Google up real background info, particularly in fast moving local radio, the only way is to bullshit your way through the chat in order to give your subject - AND your listeners - the impression that you know a lot more about the topic than they think you know.

Now, can we all go and have a pint of Old Gruntfuttock's XXXX at Ye Olde Frogge & Nightgowne...and start again?

Before I start to feel about as welcome as a bacon butty at a Bar Mitzvah...
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Didge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Reported for abuse

Its not about what is said, as she has called me all day long once a c**t sdimply for saying we were never friends.
I never reported this, as not bothered by words themseves, so you are missing the point Ben
My report is on here singling me out, which you need to get back to me on as she has lost the plot

Thanks

No rules violation.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Thanks

No rules violation.

Please do not claim to say you thread through all the threads i presented, as if you have you would see my point

I guess like I say, thick as thieves, and nobody is moderationg the moderators when they are singling out posters and not warning others, which goes back to what i said to Rags

One rule for moderators, there is none

One for posters

One for those disliked..

Have to say disppointed but expect more reports if this continues and if you fail to act, then this will go higher than you and that means forumotion

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Hang on folks...one post after being awol and I'm in already in the centre of a bunfight!

As I suspect Ben will know, any journalist who has to interview a politician about, say, an allegation of expenses fiddling, followed an hour later by an interview with a guy who can fart the tune of the national anthem,  HAS to be a bullshitter.

You can't do that sort of job without having a few background facts and stats to hand, and when there's no time to Google up real background info, particularly in fast moving local radio, the only way is to bullshit your way through the chat in order to give your subject - AND your listeners - the impression that you know a lot more about the topic than they think you know.

Now, can we all go and have a pint of Old Gruntfuttock's XXXX at Ye Olde Frogge & Nightgowne...and start again?

Sorry, it wasn't about you per se.

My son's friend is Jewish and he always eats bacon sarnies with his dad before going to the synagogue on a Saturday Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Hang on folks...one post after being awol and I'm in already in the centre of a bunfight!

Which was my point, being your knowledge you would know if someone is bullshitting, hence the phrase.

But some took this as a view to derail the thread, as they have an immature gripe against me

Sorry about that me Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Didge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Thanks

No rules violation.

Please do not claim to say you thread through all the threads i presented, as if you have you would see my point

I guess like I say, thick as thieves, and nobody is moderationg the moderators when they are singling out posters and not warning others, which goes back to what i said to Rags

One for posters

One for those disliked..

Have to say disppointed but expect more reports if this continues and if you fail to act, then this will go higher than you and that means forumotion

I mean to enforce rules violations. If someone has violated one of our published rules, you can quote the violation and give me a link via PM.

I don't intend to waste time reading through a bunch of long-winded fight threads, and I have no interest in pursuing allegations of wrongdoing that aren't covered in the rules.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

One for posters

One for those disliked..

I mean to enforce rules violations. If someone has violated one of our published rules, you can quote the violation and give me a link via PM.

I don't intend to waste time reading through a bunch of long-winded fight threads, and I have no interest in pursuing allegations of wrongdoing that aren't covered in the rules.

So you have whitewashed my complaint based on simple laziness, nice.

So you want me to break it done, minute by minute, post by post, thread by thread tro show you this?

Or as seen am I simply wasting my time.

All I ask is this

Nobody should be moderated for common abusive words, and if you are going to, the same should apply to everyone.

Its hate speech against people that is out of oder and only should be moderated or as seen you will cause a situation where some constantly get away with abuse and others are always picked out.

Either have balanced or simplify the rules further to only hate speech and discrimination as it is in ther reall world, but also act if your moderators are out of order, of which she has been. Moderating me because she does not like my views on a topic is censurship, plain and simple Ben. That means she acted as if it was personal to her due to her beliefs around her psuedo beliefs, when it never was.

Its up to you Ben, but people will only end up less and less posting here, as some are already fed up at the bias by some when moderating.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Didge give it a rest. So I said something you didn't like - have you ever read your own posts to others?

Mountain and molehill Didge.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:26 pm

eddie wrote:Didge give it a rest. So I said something you didn't like - have you ever read your own posts to others?

Mountain and molehill Didge.

Again try listening for once which you seem incapable of

Its not abusive words that is the issue, its about your abuse of your position moderating.

Hence why i am dealing with Ben and not you

So stop again agitating the situation with your constant immaturity

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Now this thread has been so derailed and ruined. If this was me who had done this, I would have been warned

I rest my case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:40 pm

eddie wrote:

My son's friend is Jewish and he always eats bacon sarnies with his dad before going to the synagogue on a Saturday Razz
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
eddie wrote:

I know it wasn't, eddie. And I think I'll just keep right out of it.

I quite understand about your son's Jewish friend. I have a Muslim neighbour whose occasional visits to my house always result in a serious depletion of my best scotch!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Didge wrote:

Which was my point, being your knowledge you would know if someone is bullshitting, hence the phrase.

But some took this as a view to derail the thread, as they have an immature gripe against me

Sorry about that me Lord

No apologies necessary - from anyone.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:45 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Again try listening for once which you seem incapable of

Its not abusive words that is the issue, its about your abuse of your position moderating.

Hence why i am dealing with Ben and not you
So stop again agitating the situation with your constant immaturity

I thought you reported me for "singling you out"?
Except it can be seen, that you reported me for saying you treated women on here worse than the men, and for saying you licked arse.  You may take umbrage to them and get angry, that's your right, but I haven't broken a rule. I haven't even stooped as low as you have in the past.

As to my comments, these are things that some of us see, and form an opinion on, for it has been stated by others before me, on this very Newsfix forum.

I've broken no rule. Get over yourself now and move on.
Im done with this now.

Oh so now an unfounded claim to sexism, which again is based on you again having a personal issue with me
It was horatio that discrminated against me on gender and was sexist and after I had been banned and you did what to this, when I had not even been abusive to her?

Zero

As I say, you are not fit to be a teacher, let alone a moderator and I have no doubt you were no doubt sacked for your control issues.
You are moderating me due to personal issues, you claimed I harressed you after you jumped on two threads and spoke to me, not the other way round. I then rubbished an article you posted and because you get insensitive over nonsense you buy into. You played the victim card.
Put it this way, if it continues and Ben does not reign your neck in, then forumotion will and you can bet your life I will fo that far.

Best you learn to grow up, because the most dishonest person you are to, is yourself

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Didge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

Thanks

waaaaah
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:

I thought you reported me for "singling you out"?
Except it can be seen, that you reported me for saying you treated women on here worse than the men, and for saying you licked arse.  You may take umbrage to them and get angry, that's your right, but I haven't broken a rule. I haven't even stooped as low as you have in the past.

As to my comments, these are things that some of us see, and form an opinion on, for it has been stated by others before me, on this very Newsfix forum.

I've broken no rule. Get over yourself now and move on.
Im done with this now.

Oh so now an unfounded claim to sexism, which again is based on you again having a personal issue with me
It was horatio that discrminated against me on gender and was sexist and after I had been banned and you did what to this, when I had not even been abusive to her?

Zero

As I say, you are not fit to be a teacher, let alone a moderator and I have no doubt you were no doubt sacked for your control issues.
You are moderating me due to personal issues, you claimed I harressed you after you jumped on two threads and spoke to me, not the other way round. I then rubbished an article you posted and because you get insensitive over nonsense you buy into. You played the victim card.
Put it this way, if it continues and Ben does not reign your neck in, then forumotion will and you can bet your life I will fo that far.

Best you learn to grow up, because the most dishonest person you are to, is yourself

What gender are you exactly? You're certainly not acting like a man. You're a puling pussy tugging at your nightie, crying over being picked on. Go and have some cocoa.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:32 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Didge wrote:

Zero

What gender are you exactly?   You're certainly not acting like a man.  You're a puling pussy tugging at your nightie, crying over being picked on.  Go and have some cocoa.

So you are now sexist again, when how on earth can you know how a man should act when you are a woman?
So reported for emplying I am feminine, thus gender discrimination and sexism

I let it go last time, but not this time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 pm

This is the reply I got (when I have been discriminated against) from a moderator which i am now taking up with forumotion

This just proves my point

Re: [Contact] Sexism and Gender discrimination

• We’re discovering new ways to detect if someone is lying Icon_post_quote_en

From Caution To Didge, Today at 7:37 pm
Getting really tired of your bullshit dude. Watch it or I'll make sure you can never sign up here again.
That's a promise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Good god, more Didge nonsense. LOCKED.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down