NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petition against Katie Hopkins: make a public apology to the Autism community

+4
nicko
Raggamuffin
Andy
eddie
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Petition against Katie Hopkins: make a public apology to the Autism community - Page 3 Empty Petition against Katie Hopkins: make a public apology to the Autism community

Post by eddie Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

"make a public apology to the Autism community"

Petition against Katie Hopkins: make a public apology to the Autism community - Page 3 Image85

Katie Hopkins upsets the Autism community by her recent tweets this month on Aprils Autism Awareness month, I've been inundated with tweet's from parents and people on the spectrum
"ED STOP LOOKING AT US, you are weird. look at people not a machine, try to ACT off the Spectrum".
(quite insulting and offensive to those on the ASD Spectrum)
and other tweets she refers to on the SPECTRUM
update
Katie was tweeting throughout Channel 4’s new show, Born Naughty?, where nine-year-old Honey was diagnosed with mild autism, she said: "Honey can't complete the autism assessment as she is too busy being a complete t***. But the s*** mum assessment is complete #bornnaughty," Katie tweeted.
She later appeared to call the child a farm animal, in a post that has been favourited over 100 times: “Honey is completing a story about three little pigs. She identifies strongly with this animal #bornnaughty”.

we want an apology Katie Hopkins

https://www.change.org/p/katie-hopkins-make-a-public-apology-too-the-autism-community?recruiter=51945486&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_facebook_responsive&utm_term=mob-xs-no_src-no_msg

THE PETITION IS NOW CLOSED.

This isn't a new story but I felt it important to talk about.
Thoughts?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Petition against Katie Hopkins: make a public apology to the Autism community - Page 3 Empty Re: Petition against Katie Hopkins: make a public apology to the Autism community

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Because she thinks it's cruel for a person to go through life with half a head.

She said - "if your baby has half a head" meaning anyone who has a baby with half a head.

Look, nobody is claiming that she's PC or diplomatic in any way, but I think the incident has been exaggerated somewhat.

You didn't finish her quote. She said "If your baby has half a head you don't have it".....blaming the parents for giving birth.
As they had no idea how badly the baby would be affected her words are cruel in the extreme.

Yes, she obviously thinks they should have had a termination because of the severe disability. It's called an opinion.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Petition against Katie Hopkins: make a public apology to the Autism community - Page 3 Empty Re: Petition against Katie Hopkins: make a public apology to the Autism community

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:36 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Laughing

I work with mostly women, and I'm not offended by that.

I've worked in both all female and all male work places, and I have to say, I mostly preferred working with men.    

I had a job where I was the only woman for a while, and I did enjoy that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:38 pm

That obese woman in the video - first she says she doesn't want to change, and then she says she can't because of medical issues. She's had 12 interviews in five years, and she was sacked from one job because of bad time keeping. She's also quite bolshy. Has it occurred to her that it might be her attitude which is the problem?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:On working women:
"I think women are really vicious in the work place, they’re really jealous, really competitive. Women are emotional, they cry in toilets. The sisterhood only extends as far as the kitchen door. Men talk in logic and rational terms, they don’t squark and make a noise."

She doesn't like women though, she obviously feels threatened by them.

Comments like that are general , not to be taken seriously by her....unlike the comments she made about little Jaxon and his parents.

She's right though. In all the years I've worked with women I've seen all that and more. I've been stabbed in the back many times in the workplace, and always by other women. I've seen them weep in toilets, storm out of a room in tears, manipulate others, bitch and scheme. I worked in an office environment for years and saw it all. I imagine it's much worse in a high flying corporate workplace. It was one of the reasons I finally fucked off to join the circus. Wink
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

You didn't finish her quote. She said "If your baby has half a head you don't have it".....blaming the parents for giving birth.
As they had no idea how badly the baby would be affected her words are cruel in the extreme.

Yes, she obviously thinks they should have had a termination because of the severe disability.  It's called an opinion.

We all have opinions, some, especially ones that obviously and deliberately hurt people just to get publicity for yourself, should be kept to yourself.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:46 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Comments like that are general , not to be taken seriously by her....unlike the comments she made about little Jaxon and his parents.

She's right though.  In all the years I've worked with women I've seen all that and more.  I've been stabbed in the back many times in the workplace, and always by other women.  I've seen them weep in toilets,  storm out of a room in tears, manipulate others,  bitch and scheme.   I worked in an office environment for years and saw it all.   I imagine it's much worse in a high flying corporate workplace.   It was one of the reasons I finally fucked off to join the circus. Wink
Laughing
Women can be bitches to work for..but so can men.

I have worked for men (two of them) that have made passes, been rebuffed and tried to get me sacked.....most women can be trusted not to do that to other women. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:47 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

She's right though.  In all the years I've worked with women I've seen all that and more.  I've been stabbed in the back many times in the workplace, and always by other women.  I've seen them weep in toilets,  storm out of a room in tears, manipulate others,  bitch and scheme.   I worked in an office environment for years and saw it all.   I imagine it's much worse in a high flying corporate workplace.   It was one of the reasons I finally fucked off to join the circus. Wink

I think that's fair comment actually. It's best to have a mixture of men and women.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Laughing
Women can be bitches to work for..but so can men.

I have worked for men (two of them) that  have made passes, been rebuffed and tried to get me sacked.....most women can be trusted not to do that to other women. Laughing

We're talking about working with women, not about female bosses.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:That obese woman in the video - first she says she doesn't want to change, and then she says she can't because of medical issues. She's had 12 interviews in five years, and she was sacked from one job because of bad time keeping. She's also quite bolshy. Has it occurred to her that it might be her attitude which is the problem?

You know what the truth is? Employers are still mostly biased in favour of looks, age and gender. They're not supposed to but they are and they always will be. Everything Katie Hopkins says is true.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes, she obviously thinks they should have had a termination because of the severe disability.  It's called an opinion.

We all have opinions, some, especially ones that obviously and deliberately hurt people just to get publicity for yourself, should be kept to yourself.

It's not exactly a secret that she says what she thinks, whereas others just think it. That's kind of the point.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:That obese woman in the video - first she says she doesn't want to change, and then she says she can't because of medical issues. She's had 12 interviews in five years, and she was sacked from one job because of bad time keeping. She's also quite bolshy. Has it occurred to her that it might be her attitude which is the problem?

I remember watching that vid ages ago.
The fat woman was a bit of a whinger. She is not black or disabled, (her own expression) she is just fat.....and she could lose weight if she wanted to.
It isn't fair that people should be discriminated against because of their looks when applying for a job, but they are.....so if you want a job badly enough you give yourself the best chance you can of getting one.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:50 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

You know what the truth is?   Employers are still mostly biased in favour of looks, age and gender.   They're not supposed to but they are and they always will be.    Everything Katie Hopkins says is true.

Of course it's true. Obesity can give out the message that someone is not prepared to make an effort, and that they might have obesity-related issues which they can do something about but refuse to.

Age - well that can go against a person obviously, but so can youth. It depends on the job. I've never found my age has gone against me - but it might do soon. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's not exactly a secret that she says what she thinks, whereas others just think it. That's kind of the point.

But there are lines no one should cross....and she crosses them imo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

You know what the truth is?   Employers are still mostly biased in favour of looks, age and gender.   They're not supposed to but they are and they always will be.    Everything Katie Hopkins says is true.

Of course it's true. Obesity can give out the message that someone is not prepared to make an effort, and that they might have obesity-related issues which they can do something about but refuse to.

Age - well that can go against a person obviously, but so can youth. It depends on the job. I've never found my age has gone against me - but it might do soon. Laughing

Depends what sort of job you are applying for.
When I decided to go back to work in clubs I was in my 30's. Obviously old for that type of work, I never gave my age on the phone. just said it was no problem to pop in for an interview.
I got the job offers and I know for a fact I wouldn't have even got an interview if I had given my age beforehand.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:57 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

When I decided to go back to work in clubs I was in my 30's. Obviously old for that type of work, I never gave my age on the phone. just said it was no problem to pop in for an interview.
I got the job offers and I know for a fact I wouldn't have even got an interview if I had given my age beforehand.

It's not just about looks, it's also about whether an employer thinks you're physically up to the job, or if you'll fit in with other employees.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

It depends on the job.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I was working in a job that meant competing against 20 years olds, and I held my own for 16 years until I was well over 50.  But...and big but....I didn't look my age.   I was lucky.   Had I looked my age I'd have stood no chance.

Last edited by HoratioTarr on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's not just about looks, it's also about whether an employer thinks you're physically up to the job, or if you'll fit in with other employees.

A few years ago, I was temporarily employed after years of working for myself, but then got made redundant. So I trotted down to the job centre, only to be told my age actually would go against me. So, I thought, fuck this, and set up my own business.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Course it is, but all those things are taken into consideration by how that person looks.

The things Katie Hopkins was saying in that interview with the overweight girl were right. But most people know and accept that anyway....she was just reiterating facts.
Appearance, manner, eye contact, hand shakes, probably just as important as qualifications at the first interview.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Course it is, but all those things are taken into consideration by how that person looks.

The things Katie Hopkins was saying in that interview with the overweight girl were right. But most people know and accept that anyway....she was just reiterating facts.
Appearance, manner, eye contact, hand shakes, probably just as important as qualifications at the first interview.

What's also important is body language, the minutiae of signals that indicate that person is healthy, confident, has the right chemistry, etc.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:07 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

I was working in a job that meant competing against 20 years olds, and I held my own for 16 years until I was well over 50.  But...and big but....I didn't look my age.   I was lucky.   Had I looked my age I'd have stood no chance.

I can imagine. Good Barbie doll lookalikes are few and far between. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No - the things I mentioned are nothing to do with how someone looks. An older person might not be as physically strong or agile as a younger person, and they might have nothing in common with a bunch of young people. Employers tend to like "team spirit".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:11 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

A few years ago, I was temporarily employed after years of working for myself, but then got made redundant.  So I trotted down to the job centre, only to be told my age actually would go against me.  So, I thought, fuck this, and set up my own business.

I've never been told that, but then I don't tend to go to job centres. Laughing

I got a new job when I was 50 - dunno if that's considered "old".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

No - the things I mentioned are nothing to do with how someone looks. An older person might not be as physically strong or agile as a younger person, and they might have nothing in common with a bunch of young people. Employers tend to like "team spirit".

I still think the interviewer often judges on looks.....I don't mean physical beauty....just general appearance and manner. Obviously if they have an age group in mind that would count too.

I do think morbidly obese people would be at the back of the queue for most jobs.....even if they were physically able to do the job.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I still think the interviewer often judges on looks.....I don't mean physical beauty....just general appearance and manner. Obviously if they have an age group in mind that would count too.

I do think morbidly obese people would be at the back of the queue for most jobs.....even if they were physically able to do the job.

It's human nature that prevails. That girl is quite pretty in spite of her size, but she's so big it indicates health issues and is just not attractive to most people. I agree that it shouldn't matter, but it does and always has and always will do. It's a fact that good looking people fare better in many aspects of life.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

A few years ago, I was temporarily employed after years of working for myself, but then got made redundant.  So I trotted down to the job centre, only to be told my age actually would go against me.  So, I thought, fuck this, and set up my own business.

I was told 'off the record'. But I knew it was right. I don't think 50 is old at all, but sadly, when the person doing the interview is say, 25, it's ancient! lol!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:23 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's human nature that prevails.   That girl is quite pretty in spite of her size, but she's so big it indicates health issues and is just not attractive to most people.   I agree that it shouldn't matter, but it does and always has and always will do.  It's a fact that good looking people fare better in many aspects of life.

It's also true that many employers prefer to employ men....they don't get pregnant, have monthly cycles, and the rest of the stuff that some men think all women will suffer with. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:24 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I was told 'off the record'.   But I knew it was right.   I don't think 50 is old at all, but sadly, when the person doing the interview is say, 25, it's  ancient!  lol!

Well I got the job, so clearly my age wasn't an issue. I don't think it is much of an issue actually - unless there are specific reasons one has to be young.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

It's human nature that prevails.   That girl is quite pretty in spite of her size, but she's so big it indicates health issues and is just not attractive to most people.   I agree that it shouldn't matter, but it does and always has and always will do.  It's a fact that good looking people fare better in many aspects of life.

It's also true that many employers prefer to employ men....they don't get pregnant, have monthly cycles, and the rest of the stuff that some men think all women will suffer with. Rolling Eyes

That's one advantage of being "older" for women. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:27 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I was told 'off the record'.   But I knew it was right.   I don't think 50 is old at all, but sadly, when the person doing the interview is say, 25, it's  ancient!  lol!

Do you remember years ago on some forum the age discrimination topic came up. You said you had experienced it in RL....I said the only time I ever had was on forums . It was rife on some forums  and  seemed to be one discrimination that no one ever challenged.
In rl it obviously depends on the type of job you do if it happens in the workplace, but some women said they had experienced it OUT of the workplace too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:28 pm

It is of course illegal to discriminate against someone on the grounds of their age, but it's not illegal to discriminate against someone on the grounds of their weight. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It is of course illegal to discriminate against someone on the grounds of their age, but it's not illegal to discriminate against someone on the grounds of their weight. Laughing
Who would admit to it though....if there are 100 applicants for the same job 99 will be rejected for some reason or another.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:33 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:It is of course illegal to discriminate against someone on the grounds of their age, but it's not illegal to discriminate against someone on the grounds of their weight. Laughing
Who would admit to it though....if there are 100 applicants for the same job 99 will be rejected for some reason or another.

Nobody admits to it, which is why it's difficult to prove. Same with race and gender.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Nobody admits to it, which is why it's difficult to prove. Same with race and gender.

It's human nature to select the person who you most like the look/manner of if several candidates have the same qualifications.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Do you remember years ago on some forum the age discrimination topic came up. You said you had experienced it in RL....I said the only time I ever had was on forums . It was rife on some forums  and  seemed to be one discrimination that no one ever challenged.
In rl it obviously depends on the type of job you do if it happens in the workplace, but some women said they had experienced it OUT of the workplace too.

Some people seem to revel in using it against women in particular.  But who takes what an obvious troll or idiot says on forums seriously?   If it makes them feel big by calling me old, I don't really care.

I think yes, it is experienced in all aspects of life, for both male and female.   Women are expected to stay as young as possible, and if they don't, they're considered by society to be past it.   Past it being unable to bear children, you'd think. But no, past it for all manner of things from jobs to looks to sexuality to acceptability.   We do have the fuzzy end of the lollipop when it comes to ageism.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:10 pm

It might be illegal to discriminate against someone's age, but try proving it? There's a hundred ways around it.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3