NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

#Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession

5 posters

Go down

#Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession Empty #Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:12 am

The leaders of secession campaigns across the country have been galvanized by the Brexit vote last month, even though the referendum was about removing the United Kingdom from the European Union as opposed to a state leaving its country.

The leader of the group trying take California out of the United States said he’s seen a large increase in interest since the Brexit vote.

“It will be a good thing for the cause of self-determination in America to be able to point to a peaceful and legal secession,” Louis Marinelli, president of Yes California Independence Campaign, told the Atlantic.

Marinelli said interest in the campaign jumped threefold since the Brexit vote. The group’s Facebook page has nearly 7,000 fans. They are planning a September rally on the issue.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/calexit-fear-of-a-trump-presidency-sparks-renewed-interest-in-california-secession/

It's catching on. What do you think Quill?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

#Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession Empty Re: #Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession

Post by Original Quill Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:47 am

I can only speak for myself.  You'll notice that most the xxx.exit groups are reactionary in one way or another to Donald Trump.  First, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Trump will win.  It is so improbable that it can be classified as a conspiracy theory.  Second, I think the rifts run deeper than that.

My interest in the Pacific States of America (Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawai'i, plus invitations to North and South Baja California, British Columbia and Yukon Territory) was born a long time ago when I realized that: (1) we can just forget the south...we have never recovered from the Civil War, and never will; and (2) this nation is just too big for all to sit down at one table.

My pitch for the Pacific coast is that we have California, the 6th largest and strongest economy in the world to anchor us, with the Bay Area second only to the New York corridor in Fortune 500 companies; the second largest city in the US; aerospace and software in the Northwest; beach houses in Cabo; ski cabins in Whistler; surfing in Hawai'i and on the Cortez banks; and ocean-front property in Arizona.

I realized the viability of all this at the inception of the second Iraq War, in 2003.  Some of the humanist ideas--anti-racism, for example--go back to my days at Berkeley.  And a series of non-stop baby-killing wars, from Korea to Iraq, have sped me along the way.  But it was things like the lies to invent hostilities, WMDs, yellow-cake from Nigeria, treason and espionage by the VP, the evils of Abu Grabe and, yes, the blatant killing of babies and children, that made me realize there are regions and elements of this nation that I can't stomach.  Now, we could all shout "leave then", and/or we could restart the civil war; but I believe a much more intelligent and amicable solution is to sit down and, recognizing that regions are too diverse, simply divide up the land area...go about it democratically, and peacefully.

I've made my pitch for the Pacific Coast region.  I'll leave others to speak for their favorites.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

#Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession Empty Re: #Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:20 am

don't say trump can't win... just in case... don't want to Jinx it.. or unlock some demon curse #Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession 1363015401

and Brexit just proved beyond doubt that the Dumbest most obviously moronic lies and stupidity can be voted in if it conceals a virulent enough xenophobia
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 am

Veya, with all due respect, and I mean this as nicely as I can,  people voted out, because they're sick of being in the EU.  You cannot possibly understand what goes on in a country just from reading and watching the news (well, especially from reading and watching the news actually!), you have to actually live somewhere to get a gist of what a country is feeling.

You can tell me it's hot in Australia. You can log on one day and say "It's so hot today, it feels like the heat is in my skin, it's so hot I cannot move without feeling like I'm fighting my way through a furnace....people are so tired and becoming quite ill from it"

And I can imagine how hot it is and I can imagine what that must  feel like because I've been really hot myself before.
But it's not the same as actually coming there and feeling it. Is it? It's not the same as me hearing about it from you, wolfie, my friend Alice who lives there, my son's friend, my friend Viv....it's not the same no matter how many times and ways I hear how hot it is, it's not like actually living it.

I appreciate you're garnering opinion from what you hear about the Uk and from what you read on here (both sides!), but it's not the same Veya.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Eddie, i'v been trying to get that through his head for months.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:33 pm

It's not what you did, it's the way you did it.  It seems to me if you want to declare your independence, then be independent!

Don't use the European Union Referendum Act, fcs.  Isn't that a blatant statement that the EU is the power?  You leave Parliament with...WTF???  #Calexit: Fear of a Trump presidency sparks renewed interest in California secession 2190311264

At least we had the balls to send George III a note: Thank you, but regretfully we cannot be there at your gala event!

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Again Quill shows he doesn't know what he's on about!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:12 pm

nicko wrote:Again Quill shows he doesn't know what he's on about!

And you do? You're still figuring that they were speaking a different language.

I'll bet you didn't even know that the UK doesn't provide for referendums.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:25 pm

Can't argue with some one who thinks he knows it all,

so i wont!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down