NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cute pic, So why is it disturbing?

+3
Syl
HoratioTarr
veya_victaous
7 posters

Go down

Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? Empty Cute pic, So why is it disturbing?

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:28 am

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/why-this-picture-is-so-disturbing/news-story/dc5ecfe0c2485a5f23fbcd5d1b6b7f09

Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? E88e410c3e01963dd2da0c572c40a8f5

WHEN US mother, Stacey Wehrman Feeley discovered her toddler balancing on a toilet seat, her first instinct was to smile and snap a picture so that she could share it with her husband.

But that good humour soon turned to a feeling of unease when the reason for the balancing act was revealed. Stacey’s daughter, Chandler, was practising how to hide in a toilet stall should a shooter enter her preschool.

Stacey was all of a sudden faced with the very harsh reality that she lived in a country with gun laws so ludicrous that her innocent daughter had to prep for an unimaginable doomsday at a place where she should be safe.

Stacey took her shock to social media, pleading with people to burn this image into their brains and demanding that her country use more gun sense.

Heaps more at source
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? Empty Re: Cute pic, So why is it disturbing?

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:30 am

veya_victaous wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/why-this-picture-is-so-disturbing/news-story/dc5ecfe0c2485a5f23fbcd5d1b6b7f09

Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? E88e410c3e01963dd2da0c572c40a8f5

WHEN US mother, Stacey Wehrman Feeley discovered her toddler balancing on a toilet seat, her first instinct was to smile and snap a picture so that she could share it with her husband.

But that good humour soon turned to a feeling of unease when the reason for the balancing act was revealed. Stacey’s daughter, Chandler, was practising how to hide in a toilet stall should a shooter enter her preschool.

Stacey was all of a sudden faced with the very harsh reality that she lived in a country with gun laws so ludicrous that her innocent daughter had to prep for an unimaginable doomsday at a place where she should be safe.

Stacey took her shock to social media, pleading with people to burn this image into their brains and demanding that her country use more gun sense.

Heaps more at source

Needs must, I guess.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:30 am

https://www.facebook.com/stacey.w.feeley/posts/10209969511258300

I took this picture because initially I thought it was funny. I was going to send it to my husband to show what our mischievous little three-year-old was up to. However, The moment she told me what she was doing I broke down. She was practicing for a lockdown drill at her preschool and what you should do if you are stuck in a bathroom. At that moment all innocense of what I thought my three-year-old possessed was gone.

Politicians - take a look. This is your child, your children, your grandchildren, your great grand children and future generations to come. They will live their lives and grow up in this world based on your decisions. They are barely 3 and they will hide in bathroom stalls standing on top of toilet seats. I do not know what will be harder for them? Trying to remain quiet for an extended amount of time or trying to keep their balance without letting a foot slip below the stall door?

No one thinks gun control will be 100% crime control. But maybe, just maybe, it helps 1% or 2% or 50%? Who knows unless we try? Why on earth are there not universal background checks? Where is a universal registration database? Why are high capacity magazines ever permitted to be sold to anyone other than direct to the military? Is that really necessary to protect yourself or hunt for that matter? What about smart guns, where are they? C’mon techies! The 2nd Amendment is a beast to battle and wiping out the right to bear arms is not on the table. Does anyone really think that will be accomplished? Because it won’t. Amended to some extent? Maybe. But how many decades will that take? Where’s the evolution of our so called “living document” for this subject matter? A document that originally allowed slavery and prevented women from voting? NRA, are you even trying? Let’s talk mental health. Where is the $500 million that the Obama administration put into the budget for approval…did it go through? Is it being implemented or just sitting there? Where is the access to care for those struggling with mental illness? Politicians, I ask you...how can I help?

Banning together, signing petitions, rallying to get your voice heard is good, but is it actually doing anything or just making us feel better about the current situation? We need action. I applaud politicians like Senator Chris Murphy but so many of our elected politicians can’t manage to work together (maybe they shouldn’t be paid for a job they can't do…just saying) or since they are in bed with all the wrong people, it is up to us if we want change. I want to know what new smart technology is being built for safer guns, advanced security in public places, databases, traveling care for the mentally ill…anything! Entrepreneurs, innovators, are you there? Can I help? Can I help you make a difference? I want to offer support. I cannot give you techie advice, expertise in healthcare, or financial backing, BUT maybe I can point you in the right direction? Maybe I know someone who knows someone who can help? Incubators, investors…if this issue concerns you, do what you do best and help make change. Can I help? Hold funding competitions, provide think tanks for these very things. Hollywood, the PSA’s are good, but not good enough. Eventually they disappear and are forgotten.

I am not pretending to have all the answers or even a shred of them, but unless you want your children standing on top of a toilet, we need to do something! Please share. ‪#‎dosomething‬ ‪#‎prayfororlando‬ ‪#‎wecandobetter‬ Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America

the Facebook post
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:32 am

@HT
Yes, but aren't we lucky to live in countries with gun control so such a thing is not needed
Wink

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Having to teach a 3 year old about stranger danger is bad enough.....having them taught how to avoid being shot dead by a rampaging madman with a gun is a step too far.

What a mess society is in if this is on a pre school curriculum.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:43 pm

careful Syl, you are talking about the best nation on earth, THE most advanced, civilised, free and righteous Nation there is....The nation who's example we should all be folllowing. Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Lord Foul wrote:careful Syl, you are talking about the best nation on earth, THE most advanced, civilised, free and righteous Nation there is....The nation who's example we should all be folllowing. Rolling Eyes

Fuck, yeah!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:32 pm

veya_victaous wrote:@HT
Yes, but aren't we lucky to live in countries with gun control so such a thing is not needed
Wink
And as our recent Democrats staged a loud umbrage - shouting down House Speaker Rand - right after the 'moment of silence' for those unfortunate victims in Orlando; the animosity for those unwilling do change any of the problem loops hole in our current 'Gun Laws' is gaining ground.

But instead of putting up a 'stand alone gun bill', they keep attaching their requests & suggestions to another lame bill that is getting shut down by the Republican control senate & congress. Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? 2190311264   Oh, and the Republicans - not to be left out of the public ground swell for 'doing something' {with the NRA's approval} have stated that ...we are working on our own version of a modified gun control bill that won't allow anyone on a 'NO FLY LIST' to own a weapon!  Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? 2396444674   

BTW - that 'Stranger Danger' is so 1980's and no longer used to teach any child --- children are more prone to be sexual abused/kidnapped by a 'KNOWN PERVERT' then a stranger and that statistic proved a sad fact when those stolen and murdered were by family members, but the stats weren't released to the public!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:04 pm

ooooh...I got a red 'un.....

I WONDER who from Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? 3489511464
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Tbh schools shouldn't be teaching these things to children this young.

I'm not even certain this story rings true actually. Teachers would no way tell children this young that this is a drill in case a shooter comes to the school.

If they did need to practice this type of thing (and it's a good idea) then they need only say "When I say 'children it's a red alert' then we need to quietly go into the toilets and stand on the toilets"

If a child asks "what is a "red alert"?" Then they can be told it's in case of a flood of water or in case some mice get in etc

In other words they do NOT need to be told the truth and that can still practice for their "flood alert" or whatever they choose to call it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Sadly, day care centers / pre-schools and quite often those are closely associated with a public or a private school building; so yes ...they are being 'conditioned to respond' ...just as in a Fire Drill - Tornado Drill - Red Alert!  These are the facts of life.  Out in earthquake land - California they provide the extra 'Earthquake Drill' but as Oklahoma has exceeded the number of quakes per month then California {and these are 4.3 on average} this maybe an added drill for coming school year. 

My generation had the additional - 'OMG - It's A Nuclear Bomb Drill' ...duck & cover; like that was going to save our asses.  Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:35 pm

4EVER2 wrote:Sadly, day care centers / pre-schools and quite often those are closely associated with a public or a private school building; so yes ...they are being 'conditioned to respond' ...just as in a Fire Drill - Tornado Drill - Red Alert!  These are the facts of life.  Out in earthquake land - California they provide the extra 'Earthquake Drill' but as Oklahoma has exceeded the number of quakes per month then California {and these are 4.3 on average} this maybe an added drill for coming school year. 

My generation had the additional - 'OMG - It's A Nuclear Bomb Drill' ...duck & cover; like that was going to save our asses.  :shock:

Did you?
I can honestly say the only drill that was ever carried out at my schools was a fire drill where we all had to traipse out and stand in the pouring rain for half an hour. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Syl wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:Sadly, day care centers / pre-schools and quite often those are closely associated with a public or a private school building; so yes ...they are being 'conditioned to respond' ...just as in a Fire Drill - Tornado Drill - Red Alert!  These are the facts of life.  Out in earthquake land - California they provide the extra 'Earthquake Drill' but as Oklahoma has exceeded the number of quakes per month then California {and these are 4.3 on average} this maybe an added drill for coming school year. 

My generation had the additional - 'OMG - It's A Nuclear Bomb Drill' ...duck & cover; like that was going to save our asses.  :shock:

Did you?
I can honestly say the only drill that was ever carried out at my schools was a fire drill where we all had to traipse out and stand in the pouring rain for half an hour. Rolling Eyes

My older siblings had to do this >
Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? Bifurcaciones_margolis13
Since they were to large to fit under their desks!

My age group were told to do this >
Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? Duck_and_cover
Which was the same method for our Tornado Drills;
and yet the first 5 years of our rural school, we attended
a 3 story old high school that had a basement - designated
as a 'FALL OUT SHELTER' for the community. But it was
full of stagnant water and no one went down there!

Fire drills were very treacherous; going out that fire escape
doorway - down those metal strips/metal railings 2 stories high
and because you could see through those metal strips it was horrifying
and highly dangerous in the winter time. 

I think/assume that the 2 teachers thought it was proactive to have a
spur of the moment 'fire drill' while we were all bundled up and outside
after two little ones slipped and suffered broken legs while trying to descend
that 2 story metal stairway. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:42 pm

My parents both did nuclear attack drills -- this was around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, of course. They also donated canned goods and toys to be stocked in nuclear fallout shelters. Must have been terrifying, but my dad always made fun of it.

"What you do is, put your hands behind your neck, lower your head down between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye!"

Oh, and Vic, you can kiss mine too Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? 1069003512
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:My parents both did nuclear attack drills -- this was around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, of course. They also donated canned goods and toys to be stocked in nuclear fallout shelters. Must have been terrifying, but my dad always made fun of it.

"What you do is, put your hands behind your neck, lower your head down between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye!"

Oh, and Vic, you can kiss mine too Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? 1069003512

Lol...my OH always says that when we are in a plane listening to the air hostess explaining the crash position.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:51 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Syl wrote:

Did you?

My older siblings had to do this >
Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? Bifurcaciones_margolis13
Since they were to large to fit under their desks!

My age group were told to do this >
Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? Duck_and_cover
Which was the same method for our Tornado Drills;
and yet the first 5 years of our rural school, we attended
a 3 story old high school that had a basement - designated
as a 'FALL OUT SHELTER' for the community. But it was
full of stagnant water and no one went down there!

Fire drills were very treacherous; going out that fire escape
doorway - down those metal strips/metal railings 2 stories high
and because you could see through those metal strips it was horrifying
and highly dangerous in the winter time. 

I think/assume that the 2 teachers thought it was proactive to have a
spur of the moment 'fire drill' while we were all bundled up and outside
after two little ones slipped and suffered broken legs while trying to descend
that 2 story metal stairway. No

If you live in an area prone to tornadoes or earthquakes I can see the sense of those drills.

Your fire drills seem to have been a lot more realistic than ours. We simply filed out two by two through the front entrance of the school.
Not much thought went into ours obviously. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Syl wrote:Your fire drills seem to have been a lot more realistic than ours. We simply filed out two by two through the front entrance of the school.
Not much thought went into ours obviously.

Same here.  We just practiced walking out the front door, and keeping in line. Our big thing was earthquake drills (get down, get under something sturdy).

I'd imagine in Kansas the big thing would be tornadoes.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Yes...I remember the way Dorothy suffered. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:My parents both did nuclear attack drills -- this was around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, of course. They also donated canned goods and toys to be stocked in nuclear fallout shelters. Must have been terrifying, but my dad always made fun of it.

EXACTLY what my ole' man used to say, after each time he heard we had a 'BOMB DRILL' at school; that or he'd ask - 'so did any of those educated idiots get the balls to enter the REAL FALL OUT SHELTER in the basement?' and he'd laugh & laugh. 
My oldest brother did bring up the fallacy of all that 'duck & cover' with the male head teacher ...that was known as the day my oldest brother got to clean the gymnasium all alone - bleacher seats - floors - stage!  Shocked
We never broached the subject ever again but by the time I was in the 4th grade ...we just stopped having those 'Bomb Drills' and no one asked why, that I can recall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:08 pm

While looking for those 1940 - 50's fire/nuclear/tornado drill images ...I ran across this image that depicts what China puts their young people through for a 'fire drill' >
Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? Fire-d10
Bizarre and so dam dangerous ...SWEET JESUS affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Syl wrote:Yes...I remember the way Dorothy suffered. Laughing

Suffered? She got a new pair of shoes and took some acid and hallucinated a hell of a fucking dream!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:13 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Yes...I remember the way Dorothy suffered. Laughing

Suffered? She got a new pair of shoes and took some acid and hallucinated a hell of a fucking dream!

Dream?? it was a technicolour nightmare. What a Face
I grant the shoes were a nice bonus though. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:58 pm

well ben...its what you keep telling us Cute pic, So why is it disturbing? 3489511464
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down