NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tennis elbow

+2
Andy
nicko
6 posters

Go down

tennis elbow Empty tennis elbow

Post by nicko Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:30 pm

About 3 weeks ago I had some pain In my elbow, still there and getting worse after 1 week.

doc said it's Tennis Elbow, said it could last 6 months OR MORE, gave me a pamphlet with exercises to do.

tried to do them but pain was severe, now 3 weeks, no better and getting me down, says injections no good!

Tried "straps" on elbow no improvement, has any one any suggestions?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

tennis elbow Empty Re: tennis elbow

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Well I had cortisone injections which were very painful, but worked.  Mine was so bad I couldn't use my arm.   Suggest you get a 2nd opinion Nicko

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:08 pm

sassy, will go back to doctors but wont get appointment for at least 10 days!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Alternating ice and heat might reduce the swelling. A bag of frozen peas and a microwaveable bean bag. 2 mins each on and off for 20 mins.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:38 pm

Thanks Handy, tried that, no relief.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:45 pm

There is no easy fix Nicko. . Lots of rest and no lifting of laden pint glasses.
Mind you,after 8 pints of Stella the pain magically disappears
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:45 pm

I know you shouldn't, but I might be tempted to go to A&E

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Surprised

AS "Tennis Elbow" is a form of tendonitis (inflammation of the tendon -- an overuse/repetitive strain class of injury..), or maybe tenosynavitis (which is where you need a doctor or physio' for genuine diagnosis -- from the rest of us plebs it's just "opinions", as always) -- that means plenty of rest, support, elevation (which you're doing anyways..);  and no massage or physical manipulation until the joint is well into the healing stage, and any pain has disappeared.  A physio' might also advise using a TENS treatment on it..
Some people might benefit from accupuncture or accupressure, but the majority won't.

Ice packs first up, and then alternating hot and cold packs - as Andy suggested - is the standard/suggested First Aid treatment, and certainly doesn't hurt..
And a couple of beers never hurts, either (moderation in all things Wink ).

LIKE sassy suggested, cortisone injections are often used to good effect (some people will be scared of possible side effects, but up to a few shots over a couple of months are usually safe for most people..). Cortisone is naturally produced by the body around injuries and inflammations -- all that the injections are doing is giving a stronger dose, than is normal, to help accelerate healing..

Like sassy suggested, I would be considering getting a second opinion as well...         Smile
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 pm

nicko wrote:About 3 weeks ago I had some pain In my elbow,  still there and getting worse after 1 week.

doc said it's Tennis Elbow, said it could last 6 months OR MORE, gave me a pamphlet with exercises to do.

tried to do them but pain was severe,  now 3 weeks, no better and getting me down,  says injections no good!

Tried "straps" on elbow no improvement,   has any one any suggestions?  

For a short term solution a 10% ibuprofen gel may help. It helped me before I had a knee replacement, you can now buy it over the counter without a prescription.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:46 pm

nicko wrote:About 3 weeks ago I had some pain In my elbow,  still there and getting worse after 1 week.

tried to do them but pain was severe,  now 3 weeks, no better and getting me down,  says injections no good!

Tried "straps" on elbow no improvement,   has any one any suggestions?  

You need to rest it.   I had frozen shoulder and it lasted over a year.   Make sure you lift things with your palm up and not down, as this reduces   the damage.   Massage is also good, I find.   It moves fresh blood into the muscles and eases the pain.

Edited to say, medical studies are now showing that tennis elbow is not an inflammatory condition as earlier thought.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Yoga and a spliff?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down