NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Republican tries to block Muslim from serving as precinct chair: “Islam and Christianity do not mix”

5 posters

Go down

Republican tries to block Muslim from serving as precinct chair: “Islam and Christianity do not mix” Empty Republican tries to block Muslim from serving as precinct chair: “Islam and Christianity do not mix”

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 7:39 pm

On Monday, at a meeting of the local Republican Party in the third-most-populous county in the United States, a Christian pastor who serves as chaplain for the Harris County GOP tried to stop a Muslim man from serving as a precinct chair because of his religion. “Islam does not have any basis or any foundation,” the pastor, Trebor Gordon, said. “It is the total opposite of our foundation.”

More than four million people live in Harris County, Texas, which includes the city of Houston—home to the largest Muslim population in Texas and one of the largest in the southern U.S., according to the Houston Chronicle. It has more than 1,000 precincts, each of which is represented by a chair, nominated by committee and voted on by the local party.

Syed Ali, 62, who the Washington Post reports has been a Republican since the Reagan administration, was tapped to be one of those precinct chairs, before Gordon interrupted with his motion. Precinct chair Felicia Winfree Cravens was streaming the meeting over Facebook Live when the incident took place.

http://gawker.com/republican-chaplain-tries-to-block-Muslim-nominee-from-1777543546
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Republican tries to block Muslim from serving as precinct chair: “Islam and Christianity do not mix” Empty Re: Republican tries to block Muslim from serving as precinct chair: “Islam and Christianity do not mix”

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Here I was thinking politics and religion didn't mix!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Republican tries to block Muslim from serving as precinct chair: “Islam and Christianity do not mix” Empty Re: Republican tries to block Muslim from serving as precinct chair: “Islam and Christianity do not mix”

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm sorry but I don't get it, and I'm really tired today - what is a "chair"?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 pm

eddie wrote:I'm sorry but I don't get it, and I'm really tired today - what is a "chair"?

Basically a representative for the party members of one precinct.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Oh right. Yes got it now.
Personally, I'd say a religious mix is a pretty good mix.

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by eddie Thu May 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Only if they're not grown up intelligent adults. People of different faiths can work together quite harmoniously, surprisingly enough.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Yeah, obviously this guy has been getting along fine down in Houston for decades. Houston has a large Muslim population and you never hear about any friction.

In fact, there's a thriving mosque in Flower Mound near Dallas, and Flower Mound is a very Republican town.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Man, just had to share the end of the article as well:

Those assembled on Monday debated Gordon’s motion, the Post reports. When one man pointed out that it was against the law to discriminate on the basis of religion; in turn, precinct chair Mike Robertson actually asked whether Islam is, in fact, a religion. “Can I have a point of information?” Robertson said. “Has there been any factual information provided that Islam is a religion?”

The motion was voted down, and Ali was instated as precinct chair. “It doesn’t bother me at all, as a Republican, as an American, as a Muslim,” he told the Post. “Everyone’s entitled to their view.”
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu May 19, 2016 11:53 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Man, just had to share the end of the article as well:

Those assembled on Monday debated Gordon’s motion, the Post reports. When one man pointed out that it was against the law to discriminate on the basis of religion; in turn, precinct chair Mike Robertson actually asked whether Islam is, in fact, a religion. “Can I have a point of information?” Robertson said. “Has there been any factual information provided that Islam is a religion?”

The motion was voted down, and Ali was instated as precinct chair. “It doesn’t bother me at all, as a Republican, as an American, as a Muslim,” he told the Post. “Everyone’s entitled to their view.”

Dude has got more patience than me. I'd have gone upside Robertson's obviously empty skull.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Attitudes like Robertson's make be utterly sick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 20, 2016 4:24 am

Harris County!

Personally, I believe the heavy rains down there is god, punishing Harris County. Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down