NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Sex Abuse Cases In General

+2
Raggamuffin
Major
6 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Historic Sex Abuse Cases In General Empty Re: Historic Sex Abuse Cases In General

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 9:13 am

I think what should happen is that there should be no question of "compensation" for any such alleged abuse. That would rule out a financial motive for making these claims. The story in that article bears that out, and I hope the man is arrested for fabricating a story and trying to cash in on it. The woman must feel completely humiliated, even though she's been acquitted.

Anyone who comes forward years later and who did not make a complaint at the time should be treated with great suspicion.

As for investigating dead people, what good does that do? It humiliates their living relatives, and that's about it. It's not possible to libel a dead person, so of course the motive for the accusation should be investigated thoroughly.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Historic Sex Abuse Cases In General Empty Re: Historic Sex Abuse Cases In General

Post by Syl Mon May 16, 2016 12:48 pm

I agree that compensation should not be awarded....I think being heard and believed, knowing the person who caused so much pain is named is the main priority to most people.

I dont think any person, be they victim or accused should be publicly named till either charges are brought (if they are living) or found guilty (if dead)

I do think investigating dead people is valid....Saville died before anything was proven, why should his name remain untarnished...and why should the thousands of people he and his BBC cronies abused not be heard?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Syl wrote:I agree that compensation should not be awarded....I think being heard and believed, knowing the person who caused so much pain is named is the main priority to most people.

I dont think any person, be they victim or accused should be publicly named till either charges are brought (if they are living) or found guilty (if dead)

I do think investigating dead people is valid....Saville died before anything was proven, why should his name remain untarnished...and why should the thousands of people he and his BBC cronies abused not be heard?

Have a greenie.   How can we learn not to dismiss cases like Saville is we never know about them because he died.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon May 16, 2016 1:00 pm

sassy wrote:
Syl wrote:I agree that compensation should not be awarded....I think being heard and believed, knowing the person who caused so much pain is named is the main priority to most people.

Have a greenie.   How can we learn not to dismiss cases like Saville is we never know about them because he died.

Thanks Sassy, x
He was so vile, and the awful thing is so many people KNEW he was vile yet stayed quiet. If the ball had not started rolling after he died, him, and so many others would have gotten away with it all. Some are still alive...they could still be acting the same way.
Age doesn't seem to stop some of the dirty old bastards.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Syl wrote:
sassy wrote:

Thanks Sassy, x
He was so vile, and the awful thing is so many people KNEW he was vile yet stayed quiet. If the ball had not started rolling after he died, him, and so many others would have gotten away with it all. Some are still alive...they could still be acting the same way.
Age doesn't seem to stop some of the dirty old bastards.

Exactly, the more they do it and get away with it, the more untouchable they feel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 2:13 pm

What difference does it make to Saville if his name is tarnished or not though?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Don't the victims deserve some kind of compensation, though?

As for a time limit, most sexual assaults don't happen in a vacuum; the victim usually had some form of relationship with the attacker. Often, the victim hasn't just been assaulted, but also betrayed by someone she or he trusted or even loved. It seems cruel to demand that someone who's been through that sort of thing report it immediately.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Don't the victims deserve some kind of compensation, though?

As for a time limit, most sexual assaults don't happen in a vacuum; the victim usually had some form of relationship with the attacker. Often, the victim hasn't just been assaulted, but also betrayed by someone she or he trusted or even loved. It seems cruel to demand that someone who's been through that sort of thing report it immediately.

Well there's a possibility that the possibility of financial compensation could trigger false accusations, and besides, how will money compensate for anything if the allegation is genuine?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Don't the victims deserve some kind of compensation, though?

Well there's a possibility that the possibility of financial compensation could trigger false accusations, and besides, how will money compensate for anything if the allegation is genuine?

Are false accusations such a massive problem that victims should get nothing?

Compensation is a traditional aspect of justice. If I was found guilty of stealing and totaling your car, you'd expect compensation, right? Isn't sexual assault a far worse crime?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 16, 2016 3:28 pm

I think you're wrong on this one rags and I tend to agree with everyone else; you can't allow a few lying, cheating chancers to ruin other's chances of seeking justice.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon May 16, 2016 3:33 pm

Question

THEN THERE'S ALSO the fact that those institutions that have been identified as to enable, facilitate and protect paedophiles, abusers and exploiters --  churches, charities, government departments, Boy Scouts and Boys Brigades, YMCAs, sporting clubs, police and courts, need to be punished, brought to account and made to answer for their crimes,  and be forced to compensate genuine and proven victims...

WHY SHOULD those victims whose lives have genuinely been ruined, whose families have lost loved ones, miss out on just compensation, simply because of the length of time, or the offenders have passed away ???          scratch
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Compensation is a traditional aspect of justice. If I was found guilty of stealing and totaling your car, you'd expect compensation, right? Isn't sexual assault a far worse crime?

I think false accusations could be a massive problem actually - what with it all being historical and therefore difficult to prove one way or another.

If you steal my car, you're taking something of financial value. Do you think it's the same thing?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 5:06 pm

eddie wrote:I think you're wrong on this one rags and I tend to agree with everyone else; you can't allow a few lying, cheating chancers to ruin other's chances of seeking justice.

Well sorry, but that's what I think.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 5:10 pm

The other question is - what should be done about those who have clearly invented a story? Should there not be some penalty for that? Look at the story in the link. Should that guy now pay Tiffany Carter for the anguish his false accusation caused her? He has humiliated her big time, and probably ruined her life to an extent.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think false accusations could be a massive problem actually - what with it all being historical and therefore difficult to prove one way or another.

If you steal my car, you're taking something of financial value. Do you think it's the same thing?

Not even a little. I think a car is an object that can be replaced. Sexual assault is stealing someone's dignity and self-ownership, akin to slavery in that the assailant is taking possession of the victim by threat of force. Someone who endures that has lost a lot more than someone whose car was stolen.

Again -- is false accusation so burdensome for the accused that it means a rape victim deserves no compensation?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The other question is - what should be done about those who have clearly invented a story? Should there not be some penalty for that? Look at the story in the link. Should that guy now pay Tiffany Carter for the anguish his false accusation caused her? He has humiliated her big time, and probably ruined her life to an extent.

False accusers should be sued for libel.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Do I think it's the same thing?   What the hell?   No, it's not the same thing, it's a million times worse.  Sexual assault and abuse steals the person, steals their validity, steals their self worth, steals their very being and physically steals their body to be used by another.   In the case of children it physically as well as mentally, damages them, sometimes it kills them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Not even a little. I think a car is an object that can be replaced. Sexual assault is stealing someone's dignity and self-ownership, akin to slavery in that the assailant is taking possession of the victim by threat of force. Someone who endures that has lost a lot more than someone whose car was stolen.

Again -- is false accusation so burdensome for the accused that it means a rape victim deserves no compensation?

The point is that you're putting a monetary value on dignity, which has no financial value.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:The other question is - what should be done about those who have clearly invented a story? Should there not be some penalty for that? Look at the story in the link. Should that guy now pay Tiffany Carter for the anguish his false accusation caused her? He has humiliated her big time, and probably ruined her life to an extent.

False accusers should be sued for libel.

Thereby putting the accused through it all again. Nah - they should be arrested and prosecuted.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

The point is that you're putting a monetary value on dignity, which has no financial value.

Really? So if you were assaulted, you wouldn't want to be compensated?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 5:41 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Really? So if you were assaulted, you wouldn't want to be compensated?

Financially? Not really - unless the assault directly led to me losing money re my job or whatever.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

What difference does it make to Saville if his name is tarnished or not though?

It makes no difference to him he is dust, but it shatters the legacy he left behind as a campaigner for children, the troubled and sick...all the people he pretended to help.
He is not important......it's the people he abused that have to live with what he did to them, they are the important ones now...they deserve to be heard.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 16, 2016 6:16 pm

Yes people do get punished for lying and wasting police time, don't they?
I think it should be a really much harsher punishment too.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 16, 2016 6:19 pm

eddie wrote:

Yes people do get punished for lying and wasting police time, don't they?
I think it should be a really much harsher  punishment too.

Yes they do, but I don't think that's enough. It's not just a waste of police time, it's the fact they tried to ruin someone's life. I hope this man is punished - like women who cry rape are punished, but I doubt it because he'll be protected by the court.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down