NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia

+2
Raggamuffin
Victorismyhero
6 posters

Go down

This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia  Empty This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:10 pm

There are different severities and types of dyslexia, with many people experiencing it in a totally different way. But for those without dyslexia, it can be a struggle to understand or appreciate the condition. So to give some insight, Victor Widell has developed a small simulation which imitates what it feels like to be affected by the reading disorder. "A friend who has dyslexia described to me how she experiences reading," he wrote. "She can read, but it takes a lot of concentration, and the letters seem to 'jump around'..."

This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia  F2mCfh

Read more at http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/1354/This-Is-What-Reading-Is-Like-If-You-Have-Dyslexia#LGWSfVQfKdq3QSbl.99

Sort of makes you think twice how many of us take things for granted

Back to top Go down

This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia  Empty Re: This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:13 pm

thanks for that didge...it will now take me all day to untangle my eye balls......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia  Empty Re: This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Lord Foul wrote:thanks for that didge...it will now take me all day to untangle my eye balls......

Fairs, fair though, Korben has to deal with that daily, so is it not fair to place ourselves in his shows for a day, to understand what its like?

I never imagined it could be as bad as that, which clearly for some it must be.

Makes you have a different perspective on the problem

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 pm

I've watched a simulation of a migraine aura. It was enough to give me a migraine. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:28 pm

oh agreed didge, its not as "simple" as many folks imagine
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Didge wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:thanks for that didge...it will now take me all day to untangle my eye balls......

Fairs, fair though, Korben has to deal with that daily, so is it not fair to place ourselves in his shows for a day, to understand what its like?

thanks i appreciate the sentiment
However i must say i am not as bad as the above example  
for example i can read very well but do have difficulty with some words, usually the ones others have a problem with

my dyslexia affects my spelling and punctuation more than anything

i spell phonetically so words that sound the same are especially difficult
i am better at spelling  long words perhaps as they can be broken down  a lot of the time

i can see that the spelling of some words is wrong  even when my spell checker says otherwise
but i am dammed if i know why, also some word that are spelt fine look odd to me

i have a large vocabulary this has developed as a result of my dyslexia as words that i cant spell
i find an alternative i can  

strangely you might think
I was the person who checked spelling and grammar on the game i worked on....go figure

over the years i have gotten better and the spell checker helps a lot And forums have made a big difference as i am not keen at writing

But the dyslexia and discalculas have held me back in many ways that is sure
AT school i was lazy ,stupid so was not really helped when it could have made a difference
but that`s not anybody's fault just the times we lived in

But i work had at trying to spell everything correctly and most people once they understand the situation are pretty understanding and that`s great

what does`t help is people like well we know who who can write and spell better than the shit he posts
because that`s not dislexia or even spelling phonetically that`s just taking the piss IMO

but on the flip side i am innately and instinctively technical  according to my old AEO (Area engineering officer) and the department head  Cmdr Malcolm Annon sadly now pasted  spookly so

so its not all bad :-)

ps

our brains (dyslexics) are wired differently perhaps thats why i can read the above NP at speed

Last edited by korban dallas on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Interesting to know the level you suffer with

The above I imagine for some then must be a mare, and it certainly does place things in perspective.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:16 pm

Didge wrote:Interesting to know the level you suffer with

The above I imagine for some then must be a mare, and it certainly does place things in perspective.
Nope can read it no problem at all ,,,all of these type of things i can i have posted a few in my time but first time have seen this one .....pretty cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I've watched a simulation of a migraine aura. It was enough to give me a migraine. Laughing

I found an article like that very interesting though.
I had no idea that what I experienced was called an "aura" till I saw this....no one seemed to know what I was on about when I tried to explain it. I have always had migrains without auras.....now I seldom get migraine attacks but I do occasionally get the aura.

I'm sure you once said you had also experienced them Rags.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I've watched a simulation of a migraine aura. It was enough to give me a migraine. Laughing

I had no idea that what I experienced was called an "aura" till I saw this....no one seemed to know what I was on about when I tried to explain it. I have always had migrains without auras.....now I seldom get migraine attacks but I do occasionally get the aura.

i get lights patches in my vision like looking through lit crinkly plastic that shimmers , don`t get a head pain as often as i used to only when i haven't had a smoke but i have one or two of the light shows in my eyes a day but it passes fairly quickly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:53 pm

Mine pass quickly too KD, usually within half an hour.
I used to describe mine as like looking through those bulls eyes in glass doors, I get your description too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Syl wrote:

Yes - just the same as you. I used to get the headache, but now I don't, just the aura. Flashing lights can trigger them off, which is why I don't like flashing lights at Christmas or any other time.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Mine last about 20 minutes. It starts as a small "blind spot", and develops into a flashing jagged pattern which gradually moves to the side and then disappears.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Syl wrote:Mine pass quickly too KD, usually within half an hour.
I used to describe mine as like looking through those bulls eyes in glass doors, I get your description too.
yea i get that as well ,all so i get what rags says. florescent lights and very bright lights can set mine of as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Flashing lights (and strong aromas like heavy perfumes) used to trigger migraines ...I'm not sure what triggers the auras.
Sometimes I'm just siting minding my own business and one will come suddenly.
Thankfully not very often.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Mine last about 20 minutes. It starts as a small "blind spot", and develops into a flashing jagged pattern which gradually moves to the side and then disappears.
Yup
totally know what you mean chessboard patten by any chance ? that`s mine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Syl wrote:Flashing lights (and strong aromas like heavy perfumes)  used to trigger migraines ...I'm not sure what triggers the auras.
Sometimes I'm just siting minding my own business and one will come suddenly.
Thankfully not very often.
i am guessing because the migraine is located near the visual cortex This Is What Reading Is Like If You Have Dyslexia  3296370939

Last edited by korban dallas on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:05 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Mine last about 20 minutes. It starts as a small "blind spot", and develops into a flashing jagged pattern which gradually moves to the side and then disappears.
Yup
totally know what you mean chessboard patten by any chance ?  that`s mine

It's hard to see it properly but it's a bit like triangles joined together in a jagged line or half circle. It's quite pretty really - metallic colours. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:
Yup
totally know what you mean chessboard patten by any chance ?  that`s mine

It's hard to see it properly but it's a bit like triangles joined together in a jagged line or half circle. It's quite pretty really - metallic colours. Laughing
yea i know what you mean when you try to look at it
it moves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:10 pm

do you get the squiggly line as well ?

like single frozen bolt of lighting or the arcs you see from a Tesla coil just hanging in your view just off centre

that's a wierd one

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:12 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

yea i know what you mean when you try to look at it
it moves

Yes it does. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:13 pm

korban dallas wrote:do you get the squiggly line as well ?

like single frozen bolt of lighting or the arcs you see from a Tesla coil just hanging in your view just off centre

that's a wierd one

I sometimes have a brief flash like that, but only for a second or two.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
korban dallas wrote:do you get the squiggly line as well ?

that's a wierd one

i remember as a kid hoping i was getting super powers like Cyclops in the Xmen Cool ..................... oh well Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:25 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

i remember as a kid hoping i was getting super powers like Cyclops in the Xmen  Cool ..................... oh well Wink

Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Great thread and I will admit, I never realised that dyslexia could be that horrid and hard work!

And KD, for what it's worth, I never have trouble reading your posts or understanding them.
And it's what a post says, not how it's spelled, that makes it worth reading X
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:50 pm

Rolling Eyes   He make you look perfect KD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:53 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Didge wrote:

thanks i appreciate the sentiment
However i must say i am not as bad as the above example  
for example i can read very well but do have difficulty with some words, usually the ones others have a problem with

my dyslexia affects my spelling and punctuation more than anything

i spell phonetically so words that sound the same are especially difficult
i am better at spelling  long words perhaps as they can be broken down  a lot of the time

i can see that the spelling of some words is wrong  even when my spell checker says otherwise
but i am dammed if i know why, also some word that are spelt fine look odd to me

i have a large vocabulary this has developed as a result of my dyslexia as words that i cant spell
i find an alternative i can  

strangely you might think
I was the person who checked spelling and grammar on the game i worked on....go figure

over the years i have gotten better and the spell checker helps a lot And forums have made a big difference as i am not keen at writing

But the dyslexia and discalculas have held me back in many ways that is sure
AT school i was lazy ,stupid so was not really helped when it could have made a difference
but that`s not anybody's fault just the times we lived in

But i work had at trying to spell everything correctly and most people once they understand the situation are pretty understanding and that`s great

what does`t help is people like well we know who who can write and spell better than the shit he posts
because that`s not dislexia or even spelling phonetically that`s just taking the piss IMO

but on the flip side i am innately and instinctively technical  according to my old AEO (Area engineering officer) and the department head  Cmdr Malcolm Annon sadly now pasted  spookly so

so its not all bad :-)

ps

our brains (dyslexics) are wired differently perhaps thats why i can read the above NP at speed  

Couldn't agree more!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:56 pm

eddie wrote:Great thread and I will admit, I never realised that dyslexia could be that horrid and hard work!

And KD, for what it's worth, I never have trouble reading your posts or understanding them.
And it's what a post says, not how it's spelled, that makes it worth reading X
Thanks for that X

it can be very frustrating and i am very lucky i am not a worse case
what can make it worse especially for someone with low confidence is peoples assumptions that your stupid or uneducated when in fact some of the smartest people in the world are dyslexic fortunately you don`t see that kind of thing on hear as a general rule and that`s good

what you said there sums it up quite succinctly "it's what a post says, not how it's spelled, that makes it worth reading"

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:07 pm

I can understand KD perfectly well too, I would never have known he had a problem.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Second greenie to you today, from me to you, KD

Now no more or you're just being greedy Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:28 pm

eddie wrote:Second greenie to you today, from me to you, KD

Now no more or you're just being greedy Razz
Embarassed thank you both

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Syl wrote:I can understand KD perfectly well too, I would never have known he had a problem.
over six year writing on forums has been a unexpected bonus of forums for me

but the mistakes are in there from time to time especially the lack of punctuation fortunatly as didge pointed out in his excellent topic is that it doesn`t matter our brains tend to fill in or compensate on the fly  
words i cant get
witch wich ...and the other one

does, doesn`t .... spelt corectaly i am lead to beleve and they are many other words i have trouble with

now i have not spelt checked this and just thought i would show what it looks like before i check it over
although this isnt a real big example you might get the idea

and its these mistakes lack of punctuation , poor capitalisation ,common misspelt words that make a dislexic easy to spot  

As i say phoneticaly is the way I spell for example knowlage or nolage instead of knowledge  

thank babbage for computer spell checkers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:Now you know why some of your long posts are such a pain in the arse for me to read.

Lack of paragraphs and poor sentence structure doesn't help either.
Oh well we all have our cross to bear i guess

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:08 pm

korban dallas wrote:
Syl wrote:I can understand KD perfectly well too, I would never have known he had a problem.

but the mistakes are in there from time to time especially the lack of punctuation fortunatly as didge pointed out in his excellent topic is that it doesn`t matter our brains tend to fill in or compensate on the fly  
words i cant get

does, doesn`t .... spelt corectaly i am lead to beleve and they are many other words i have trouble with

now i have not spelt checked this and just thought i would show what it looks like before i check it over

and its these mistakes lack of punctuation , poor capitalisation ,common misspelt words that make a dislexic easy to spot  

As i say phoneticaly is the way I spell for example knowlage or nolage instead of knowledge  

Korban, I have genuinely never noticed. My own grammar and spelling when I write can be bad....mainly because I write as I talk, and sometimes that can be rubbish. Razz Also the quicker I type the more mistakes I make...if I notice the mistakes after I have pressed send I rarely go back to alter them.

There was a poster called Markey who's spelling and grammar was really bad, sometimes people would pull him up on this, more often than not his posts were a damn site more interesting than the odd bore who moaned about his spelling.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:23 pm

Syl wrote:
korban dallas wrote:

words i cant get

Korban, I have genuinely never noticed. My own grammar and spelling when I write can be bad....mainly because I write as I talk, and sometimes that can be rubbish. Razz  Also the quicker I type the more mistakes I make...if I notice the mistakes after I have pressed send I rarely go back to alter them.

There was a poster called Markey who's spelling and grammar was really bad, sometimes people would pull him up on this, more often than not his posts were a damn site more interesting than the odd bore who moaned about his spelling.
Most don`t Syl and the dicks that do and try to use it as a stick tend to get pounced on by other members and i don`t mean just this site

when your typing really fast especially when your on a roll you tend to spell the way you are saying it in your head and the translation between the voice in your head saying the word and translation in to the written word with all its rules and procedures while controlling the physical actions needed to do the writing or the typing laggs behind the speed of thought so in technical terms
bottle neck
mistakes

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:37 pm

That's exactly it Korban...the text comes out just as it would if you were speaking.
Often even dialects come out too....Scottish being a good example,
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Syl wrote:That's exactly it Korban...the text comes out just as it would if you were speaking.
Often even dialects come out too....Scottish being a good example,
yea i know exactly what you mean I have to stop my self from using "ken" and use "know" also "How" rather than "why"
and i don`t so much have a bottle neck in this area more a 28.8 modem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down