NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woodland

+13
stardesk
Fred Moletrousers
veya_victaous
HoratioTarr
'Wolfie
Ben Reilly
Major
nicko
Syl
Miffs2
Raggamuffin
eddie
Victorismyhero
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Woodland - Page 4 Empty Woodland

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

well folks , after months of hunting, and many dissapointments

we have today sent notice of intent to purchase to the vendor of the woodland I recently mentioned, and instructed our solicitor to get on with things.

purchasing land is different to a house, and is an easier and quicker process generally, on average about 4 weeks

so........ cheers

piccies will follow when we get in , and I'll keep ypu piccied up as we clear paths, glades and do some coppicing.

the first year we have decide the thing to do is just clear the paths and some area we want as open glade....and then we will watch through the year to see what growing there and base future action on what we observe....

oh and got some grey squirrels (aka tree rats ) to Woodland - Page 4 3755771736
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Woodland - Page 4 Empty Re: Woodland

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:24 pm

NICKO!!!!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 am

Well folks, after many delays and minor changes of plans we are away with the plan to manage the wood as it deserves...

First change of plan was to get a small but adequate caravan as a prrmanent base. So that now sits on the parking area. A small shed is a repository for the less valuable but heavy tools etc.

Started in on the coppicing and removal of those old what I thought initially were spruce....turns out they are douglas fir ....aka oregon pine. A good and useable fuel for wood burning stoves. Laughing

One was twisred and unstable.  18" at the base and about 35foot tall....down it came, though not without difficulty....due to rot in the center it twisted as it went over and landed about 19degrees off line from where I wanted it.....got hung up in an oak..so I had to drsg it out with ropes and a winch....damned hard work...but a nice pile of firewood.All the brah will be chipped to use as a surfacing fot the ground round the caravan.....nothing gets wasted.

Also cut about 5 coppice stools....about 20 more to go for this years harvest.the wood from these wiil be used for rustic garden furniture, walking sticks/staffs, and the small stuff gets cut into lengths and sold by the bundle as chew sticks for parrots and rodent pets.

Some will be left as brash piles in the wood to provide food and shelter for all kinds of mini beasties
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:36 am

Idea

I know some possible uses for that Oregon timber, if you find any mill-able pieces amongst it, Victor...

While it doesn't stand up too well to outside use without heavy protection, and even rotproofing -- it can be quite useful for incorporating in building utility pieces like workbenches, saw horses, tool boxes and cabinets, if you can find some long enough, clear and straight-grained pieces..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Woodland - Page 4 Img_2010
Woodland - Page 4 Img_2012
Woodland - Page 4 Img_2011
Nnasty gnarly twisty tree rotten in the center.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Woodland - Page 4 Img_2013
Woodland - Page 4 Img_2014
Now reduced to lumps and brash
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Woodland - Page 4 Img_2015
Woodland - Page 4 Img_2016A A couple of the coppice stools also cut yesterday....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Has the recent hot weather effected the area Victor?

Also, its been a long time and well over due sine we saw some of your art/craftsmanship work...

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:54 pm

You really are making me envious, LF. Although I have recovered better than anyone expected from open heart surgery I have to admit to being past maintaining my own woodland as I did in the past.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Didge wrote:Has the recent hot weather effected the area Victor?

Also, its been a long time and well over due sine we saw some of your art/craftsmanship work...
Itscertainly been drier than usual here in the woods, but its not been so bad as to have had any ill effects . Indeed the blackberry harvest is immense, and of great quality. The hazel nut crop is heavy and good, and the trees made excellent growth. So no negatives as far as I can see.Our neighbours pond is a bit low,but,even though filled only with runoff and ground water. Has not dried out..

The farmers land which surrounds our wood has clearly suffered to some extent with areas of bleached grass, but that has recovered quickly in the recent rain. It is a tribute to the way he farms and thea fact that he totally refuses to overstock his land. Also due to the dry weather he has had very few losses amongst his sheep. Compared to last year. Apparently sheep are prone to pneumonia in wet weather Woodland - Page 4 2190311264
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:You really are making me envious, LF. Although I have recovered better than anyone expected from open heart surgery I have to admit to being past maintaining my own woodland as I did in the past.
Ahhh, Fred, remember the line from desiderata......"Gracefully surrender the things of youth".
At least you can still enjoy the special magic of these special spaces.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Lord Foul wrote:

Itscertainly been drier than usual here in the woods, but its not been so bad as to have had any ill effects . Indeed the blackberry harvest is immense, and of great quality. The hazel nut crop is heavy and good, and the trees made excellent growth. So no negatives as far as I can see.Our neighbours pond is a bit low,but,even though filled only with runoff and ground water. Has not dried out..

The farmers land which surrounds our wood has clearly suffered to some extent with areas of bleached grass, but that has recovered quickly in the recent rain. It is a tribute to the way he farms and thea fact that he totally refuses to overstock his land. Also due to the dry weather he has had very few losses amongst his sheep. Compared to last year. Apparently sheep are prone to pneumonia in wet weather Woodland - Page 4 2190311264

I guess this is not an area I know much about clearly.

I would have thought this would have effected more and yet as seen the woods fared very well considering.

Is there something to be learnt from that environmentally?

Out of interest, how much do you know about plants?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:You really are making me envious, LF. Although I have recovered better than anyone expected from open heart surgery I have to admit to being past maintaining my own woodland as I did in the past.
Ahhh, Fred, remember the line from desiderata......"Gracefully surrender the things of youth".
At least you can still enjoy the special magic of these special spaces.

Yes I can, LF...especially since my late wife is, at her own last request, buried in the woodland that I inherited from her, even though we could only get her to her final resting place by putting her coffin on a bale trailer and hauling her up an otherwise impassable track courtesy of a bloody big John Deere tractor provided by a neighbouring farmer!

The argument that I had with a bumptious little sod from the local council as to whether it was legal or not was - looking back with the passage of time - absolutely hilarious!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Didge wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

I would have thought this would have effected more and yet as seen the woods fared very well considering.

Woods tend to be well mulched on the floor due to leaf.litter and other plant debris, so rather than any rain running off the land it tends  to be held in this spongy layer, and only gradualy being transferred into the soil.

Iknow a fair bit about plants and forestry, having grown up in the countryside.Though my knowlege of houseplants is minimal.......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Didge wrote:

Woods tend to be well mulched on the floor due to leaf.litter and other plant debris, so rather than any rain running off the land it tends  to be held in this spongy layer, and only gradualy being transferred into the soil.

Iknow a fair bit about plants and forestry, having grown up in the countryside.Though my knowlege of houseplants is minimal.......

The reason why is because I have of late taken a keen interest in horticulture. I have loads to learn, but find it very interesting and now is a hobby for me

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Didge wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Didge wrote:

The reason why is because I have of late taken a keen interest in horticulture. I have loads to learn, but find it very interesting and now is a hobby for me
Horticulture tends to be more the study of "domestic" I.e garden and house plants....what we as woodland owners are at is better considered silviculture. Dealing with trees and native wild plants.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:54 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Didge wrote:

Horticulture tends to be more the study of "domestic" I.e garden and house plants....what we as woodland owners are at is better considered silviculture. Dealing with trees and native wild plants.

Guess i could learm far more on this, than i ever could reading from a book

Interesting to know

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Siliviculture and forestry tend to be used as synonyms, but forestry is more concerned with production and maintenance within a forest, whilst  silvicultur is more concerned with the growing  the trees,   what style of maintenance and what mix of trees you have. So the way we are pushing our wood is back to its original ancient woodland type of "coppice with srandards"  thats to say coppice  (hazel and birch) with standards (trees allowed to mature) of oak,beech,  rowan,hawthorn, holly and yew. Which will eventually comprise about 15~20% of the total canopy cover.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Siliviculture and forestry tend to be used as synonyms, but forestry is more concerned with production and maintenance within a forest, whilst  silvicultur is more concerned with the growing  the trees,   what style of maintenance and what mix of trees you have. So the way we are pushing our wood is back to its original ancient woodland type of "coppice with srandards"  thats to say coppice  (hazel and birch) with standards (trees allowed to mature) of oak,beech,  rowan,hawthorn, holly and yew. Which will eventually comprise about 15~20% of the total canopy cover.

How much maintenance is involved with this Victor?

Man hours, I mean?

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Depends...coppice is quite a lot of work cutting the stools to obtain the rods and poles you want.....howevwe it tends to be short periods (weekends) at intervals. So you can cut say 10 stools over a weekend...then sort and grade em ,deal with the brash on a second weekend.   Its quite a bit of graft.  We are doing mico coppicing since our wood is quite small. The usual cut is up a hectare at a time....thats a bit more than a weekend let me tell you.......we are doing about 20 x20 metre coups.

For me felling, logging and clearing up one of those big pines we are slowly removing is a 2day job at least. Dont forget  64 in septemseptemberd partially disabled and that chainsaw is damned heavy.

Maintaing rides and open areas is a nice gentle stroll with a petrol brushcutter..

BUT nothing happens fast in a wood so we come here and do as much or as little as we want....the only "pressure" is to ensure we cut enough pine and thinnings as we require for fuel over the winter months the following year, and such bits and pieces as I want to make walking sticks and staffs etc.

There are some good articles about coppicing on the web,and the company we bought our wood from has some useful links to various articles and suggestions as to further reading.look at woods4sale.com
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Depends...coppice is quite a lot of work cutting the stools to obtain the rods and poles you want.....howevwe it tends to be short periods (weekends) at intervals. So you can cut say 10 stools over a weekend...then sort and grade em ,deal with the brash on a second weekend.   Its quite a bit of graft.  We are doing mico coppicing since our wood is quite small. The usual cut is up a hectare at a time....thats a bit more than a weekend let me tell you.......we are doing about 20 x20 metre coups.

For me felling, logging and clearing up one of those big pines we are slowly removing is a 2day job at least. Dont forget  64 in septemseptemberd partially disabled and that chainsaw is damned heavy.

Maintaing rides and open areas is a nice gentle stroll with a petrol brushcutter..

BUT nothing happens fast in a wood so we come here and do as much or as little as we want....the only "pressure" is to ensure we cut enough pine and thinnings as we require for fuel over the winter months the following year, and such bits and pieces as I want to make walking sticks and staffs etc.

There are some good articles about coppicing on the web,and the company we bought our wood from has some useful links to various articles and suggestions as to further reading.look at woods4sale.com

I know how tiring using a hedge trimmer can be for a few hours. So a chainsaw, must be far worse on the arms, for long periods. Must keep you bloody fit mind, all that work.

Seems all very self sufficient

I find all very interesting.

How many hours do you reckon you placed into this whole project?

Do any of the rest of your family come and help?

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:18 pm

I  honestly cant say how many hours we have spent working here, since a large amount of the time we simply come and chilax. What you can be sure of is that the amount of time you HAVE to spend doing things like rides and dealing with deadfalls etc is minimal ...any thing else is personal preference. And can be fitted around whatever else you do.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun May 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Woodland - Page 4 Img-2011
Woodland - Page 4 Img-2010
Woodland - Page 4 Img-2012

Remember that nasty twisted tree from last autumn? Well given the fact that visits to our wood were severely curtailed by my fathers last illness, we didnt get to  "process" it at the time. And when we came up here afew weeks back I tried axeing it up.

Pffft,might as well have tried to axe up reinfoced concrete...the wood was so gnarly the axe would not split it but merely lodged in the lump, so i went and bought the orange beast in the pictures....which turned all that gnarly wood into a stack of fire wood...recon theres nearly half a winters worth there.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun May 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Woodland - Page 4 20190510
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun May 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Woodland - Page 4 20190514
Woodland - Page 4 20190513
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun May 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Beautiful sunny 18degrees, wood full of wildflowers and song birds.
A comment from wolfie got me thinking and I now have whats known as an "Oregon mill" or chainsaw mill, which will allowme to process some of that pine I mentioned earlier into lumber....planks and spars....it seemed a shame that the good stuff should be turned into firewood
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 12, 2019 6:09 pm

What beautiful pictures Vic. I do miss the British countryside. There’s nothing else quite like it.

I bet you had a load of fun firing that orange beast up.

Ps. I can’t remember if I was around but very sincerest condolences on your dad x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Vic, did I spy some empty Shotgun cases there ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun May 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Dont think so nicko....i pick mine up and take em home, and i recon we have found those that the previous owners left lying around
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun May 12, 2019 8:08 pm

A new shoot I had some time ago, on first visit my Son and myself picked up 1009 empty cases, [Son counted them] , most were Eley BB shot ! What the F++k were they shooting at ? there are no Duck or Geese on this shoot !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 pm

nicko wrote:A new shoot I had some time ago, on first visit my Son and myself picked up 1009 empty cases, [Son counted them] , most were Eley  BB shot !   What the F++k were they shooting at ?  there are no Duck or Geese on this shoot !
Pterodactyls?
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 am

Victorismyhero wrote:
Woodland - Page 4 20190510

Woodland - Page 4 1366281442

A bit of Roundup could take care of those weeds in there.

Or a couple of goats..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon May 13, 2019 6:30 am

Don't hurt the Bluebells !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Thems not weeds....given that a weed, by definitition is a plant that grows where it isnt wanted..  them is food for our wildlife.

Well thats the horrid tree turned into fire wood. Next job for next visit is to run about half a ton of "brash" that is small branch etc that are no use for anything else through thr chipper. The chipings are then put on the trails through the wood to  protect the soil from being mushed up when wet and compacted. And to spread round the compound where we have the caravan.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon May 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Dont worry Nicko....the bluebells are well looked after
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue May 14, 2019 8:58 pm

[quote="Cass"]What beautiful pictures Vic. I do miss the British countryside. There’s nothing else quite like it.

Ps. I can’t remember if I was around but very sincerest condolences on your dad x[/quote]

thanks for that Cass, he passed in early december last year, having survived for almost a year after a VERY severe stroke in late december '17. He was cared for at my brothers place by a rotating set of pairs of the most amazing Polish ladies from a care agency, aided and abetted by us 3 brothers as much and as often as was possible (I often spent a week at a time living at my brothers to assist, since the girls did 12 hr shifts and gave their hearts and souls into his care......so me being there gave them a break now and then....fortunately I am well medically knowlegeable and quite capable of basic to mid level nursing care) he had a pretty good last 12 months all said, but of course at his age (91) and given the severity of the bleed and its position the end result was a forgone conclusion, the only thing in doubt was when...In the end he went peacefully in his sleep, with family and a special family friend with him to the end.

and Oh my goodness does Geli's dad look like him, they could have been twins Shocked
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 15, 2019 5:12 am

Victorismyhero wrote:
Cass wrote:What beautiful pictures Vic. I do miss the British countryside. There’s nothing else quite like it.

Ps. I can’t remember if I was around but very sincerest condolences on your dad x[/quote]

thanks for that Cass, he passed in early december last year, having survived for almost a year after a VERY severe stroke in late december '17. He was cared for at my brothers place by a rotating set of pairs of the most amazing Polish ladies from a care agency, aided and abetted by us 3 brothers as much and as often as was possible (I often spent a week at a time living at my brothers to assist, since the girls did 12 hr shifts and gave their hearts and souls into his care......so me being there gave them a break now and then....fortunately I am well medically knowlegeable and quite capable of basic to mid level nursing care) he had a pretty good last 12 months all said, but of course at his age (91) and given the severity of the bleed and its position the end result was a forgone conclusion, the only thing in doubt was when...In the end he went peacefully in his sleep, with family and a special family friend with him to the end.

and Oh my goodness does Geli's dad look like him, they could have been twins Shocked

Best way to go and may it happen to me. I’m glad you were with him. Mr. C feels it deeply, but doesn’t let on, that he wasn't there when his dad went. We were on the verge of booking tickets when he suddenly took a turn for the worse (he’d been in hospital for 6 weeks) and went quickly. Luckily one of my brother in laws was with him. Still we came and gave him a jolly good Glaswegian send off.

Glad you said that about Gel’s dad. I like to know what people look like.

Sniff a bluebell for me please xx
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Wood is Good !  Cool

I'm very interested in all projects involving woodland. One strange hobby of mine is watching woodland projects on YT. Step by step, .... from  clearing the forest ..... to creating beautiful timber dwellings.
From sweet little shacks to enchanting log cabins. I could watch for hours. 

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Well, after a long time doing nowt I thought i'd pull some of those pics together in a different format,
so here goes

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanks for pointing that out Tommy....I dont mind most on here knowing my real, but there are certain individuals who I'd rather not see it....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:30 pm

DOH!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:31 pm

Still showing on video 2...

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:32 pm

Gone now...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:22 pm

New toy to help work in the woodland.......

[img]Woodland - Page 4 20201010[/img]
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:30 pm

and the new toy to pull the trailer for the above

Woodland - Page 4 940e1110
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:34 pm

Victorismyhero wrote:and the new toy to pull the trailer for the above

Woodland - Page 4 940e1110

Nice truck. We don't have Isuzu trucks here anymore.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Nice combination, Vic...but your trailer would look even better being pulled by a 2a Land Rover!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:49 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Nice combination, Vic...but your trailer would look even better being pulled by a 2a Land Rover!

we
can always pull it with Mrs Victors defender wolf......

Woodland - Page 4 Img-2018

Woodland - Page 4 Img-2017
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:51 pm

proper sankey trailer with full on NATO hitch

hand brake modified to comply with the need for effective breakaway braking
Victorismyhero