NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donald Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families

4 posters

Go down

Donald Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families Empty Donald Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:48 pm

Washington (CNN)Republican front-runner Donald Trump said Friday that he would not order the U.S. military to violate international laws to fight terrorism, a stark reversal from his statements at Thursday's Republican debate.

Trump said in a statement that he understands "that the United States is bound by laws and treaties" and said he would "not order our military or other officials to violate those laws and will seek their advice on such matters."

He added, "I will not order a military officer to disobey the law. It is clear that as president I will be bound by laws just like all Americans and I will meet those responsibilities."

The statement was first reported in The Wall Street Journal.

His position seems to have shifted dramatically in less than 24 hours.

During Thursday night's debate on Fox News, Trump reaffirmed his willingness to target the families of terrorists and supported the use of waterboarding, implying a willingness to use torture. "We should go for waterboarding and we should go tougher than waterboarding," he said.

His previous endorsement of these tactics had drawn condemnation from former defense and intelligence officials.

Former Secretary of Defense William Cohen told CNN Thursday that "the notion that we would attack and kill the families of terrorists is something that contravenes everything the United States stands for in this world."

Cohen warned that if the military carried out these orders, they could face a Nuremberg-like trial, saying, "we have to be concerned about that you have an order given by the commander in chief which violates every sense of law and order, international law and order, that would make any of those who carried out that dictum such to be a violation of the international criminal code."

And former CIA Director Gen. Michael Hayden, speaking of Trump, told HBO this week that "if he were to order that once in government, the American armed forces would refuse to act."

"You are required not to follow an unlawful order. That would be in violation of all the international laws of armed conflict," Hayden said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/04/politics/donald-trump-reverses-on-torture/index.html

Backpeddling like mad because he realises he has gone too far.

Back to top Go down

Donald Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families Empty Re: Donald Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:58 pm

On that issue and on immigration, as well:

"I’m changing. I’m changing. We need highly skilled people in this country, and if we can’t do it, we’ll get them in,” Trump said of his views on Thursday night. “I’m softening the position because we have to have talented people in this country.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/trump-immigration-flip-flop-220272#ixzz41ygwCW1g
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Donald Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families Empty Re: Donald Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:35 pm

I had the early morning 'media talking heads' on the TV this morning...and every channel {major broadcast news team} were hammering him hard about his need to 'calm the hell down' --- that he's coming off as a crazy man when he makes such outrageous statements that then refuses to justify what he's quoted as having said!

Not one of those shows gave him any leeway: not CNN/CBS/ABC or especially MSNBC --- and I wasn't watching or listening to 'Morning Joe'---who has been wimpy/kiss ass with Chump-Trump for well over a year! Maybe he's getting the message; 'You can't keep scaring the hell out of the voting public --- they will turn on you and you'll regret your insanity'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:58 pm

Well, it sure looks like the tide is turning, but I won't get my hopes up yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:38 am

sassy wrote:Well, it sure looks like the tide is turning, but I won't get my hopes up yet.

What caught my attention {ear} was how aggressive the media talking heads all were behaving with Chump-Trump; WOW, I had to go look and see that the stations were actually shouting over his constant overbearing talking over the tough questions; normally they've {all the stations} have just let him ramble and not stop him for clarification --- the worm has turned.  It was pretty dang shocking...it was like all of the morning stations had agreed upon a way to interview him; I'm sure he was dismayed by their FIRM QUESTIONS as well.  Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:23 am

Problem is, he just spins it as the media being part of the establishment ganging up on him. His supporters are not intelligents, they don't care for depth or substance, angry rants will do.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:24 am

Oh I quite agree, any one who thinks Trump is ok has to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:04 am

Y'all thin Trump is bad? Imagine where the Republican Party is right now.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:57 am

It's an interesting dichotomy the gut feeling of 'FEARING' this man's hyper/nut case rants that the media has carried world wide.  I've got a pretty broad ranging group of internet friends: Shri Lanka/Norway/Australia/Japan/India/Saudi Arabia/Canada and they are as diverse in their back grounds/age group and yet the #1 thing that they all agree on --- this Chump-Trumps vile rhetoric is scary and they FEAR his becoming our POTUS. 

If our voters think we live in a bubble and not in a global - connected universe they are so sadly mistaken!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:11 am

The scary thing is what he originally said is what he REALLY believes and will implement if elected, what he said Thursday and Friday is what he thinks he needs the electorate to believe so he can get their vote.
He needs an assassin's bullet.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down