NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing

+3
Eilzel
Tommy Monk
Major
7 posters

Go down

Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing Empty Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:00 am

This picture of 28 MPs and peers is the largest number of publicly out parliamentarians photographed together at one time.

One of the most remarkable, yet pleasing, statistics that fascinated political number-crunchers at last year’s election was that the House of Commons ended up with 32 lesbian, gay and bisexual MPs.  Then last month, the Scottish Secretary and divorced father of three, David Mundell, became the first openly out Tory cabinet member. His son Oliver said he “admires [him] today as much as yesterday”, and David Cameron said he was “pleased and delighted” for him.  The Independent on Sunday can now add a further two to that number, with the SNP’s business spokeswoman, Hannah Bardell, and Labour’s shadow Welsh Secretary, Nia Griffith, coming out for our special photoshoot celebrating Parliament’s growing diversity.

LGBT History Month is celebrated in February – and this photograph of 28 MPs and peers is a bit of history in itself, as it is the largest number of publicly out parliamentarians pictured together at one time, from  a parliament with more gay members than any in the world. The five important LGBT history moments they don't teach you at school Ms Bardell, who previously worked for the then First Minister of Scotland, Alex Salmond, said: “I only came out to myself and to my family during the election. I then chose not to say anything publicly because I had just got elected and I didn’t want it to be one of the first things I said about myself as an MP.

“When David Mundell came out, it must have been very difficult for him, but it got me thinking about saying something myself. I felt this was the right moment – I’m very proud to be out and I’m very happy.”  Ms Griffith, who has been an MP since 2005, said her sexuality had been known among friends, family and colleagues since the mid-1990s, but she “hasn’t made any great fuss about it in Parliament”.

Lord Chris Smith is in the picture – he was the first openly gay MP in the 1980s and also the first to be appointed to the cabinet when he became Culture Secretary in 1997. Chris Bryant, the shadow Leader of the House of Commons who got the MPs and peers together, said: “It’s amazing how things have changed in 20 years. For years, Chris was the only one. But for some of the MPs now, their sexuality is just a mundane part of their lives rather than [as it is to outsiders] the only interesting parts of their lives.”

It is understood that parliamentary clerks have also been asked to look into commissioning a painting of LGBT MPs, to recognise this as the most diverse parliament in British history. In a joint opinion piece for The IoS, Mr Mundell and Mr Bryant note the improvements in Parliament, but warn: “LGBT young people in Britain still face stigma and bullying. Rates of suicide and depression are significantly higher among members of the LGBT community.”

Sadly, some MPs turned up after the shoot was over. This means they missed the questionable treat of Ben Bradshaw, a former Labour shadow culture secretary, stripping down to his white underpants on a chilly February day in front of Parliament, as he swapped cycling gear for a suit to pose for his own portrait to commemorate the great strides that British politics have made.

Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing 21-LGBT-MPs-TeriPeng

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gay-mps-the-photograph-that-shows-westminsters-attitude-towards-lgbt-politicians-is-changing-a6886771.html

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing Empty Re: Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Over represented in parliament...

Homosexuals make up less than 1% of general population but that is 5% I'm parliament!

And considering the truth number is higher in parliament... vastly over represented as a group there!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing Empty Re: Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing

Post by Eilzel Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:27 pm

All voted for by the great British public. Deal with it.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:53 pm

I doubt they were voted for because they were homosexuals...

Or that people wanted an overrepresentation of homosexuals in parliament to further a homosexual agenda...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I doubt they were voted for because they were homosexuals...

Or that people wanted an overrepresentation of homosexuals in parliament to further a homosexual agenda...

Please tell us more about this agenda, I'm sure it will be hilarious Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:04 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Over represented in parliament...

Homosexuals make up less than 1% of general population but that is 5% I'm parliament!

And considering the truth number is higher in parliament... vastly over represented as a group there!

Does the the 1% take into account all homosexuals?  That seems a pretty low percentage Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing Confus11

What has sexuality to do with this anyway?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:27 pm

I'm just pointing out the overrepresentation in parliament...

Lefties are quite happy complaining about there being too many whites or men etc.. how things should be more reflective of the public etc...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Polticians are voted for. Race, gender and sexuality are irrelevant. Deal with it.

FtL, tommy must be taking the lowest possible suggestion (I think from a slanted interpretation of the 2011 census).

Nearly all other polls or date puts the number at 3-5% of the population identifying as not heterosexual (which means everything inbetween).
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:54 pm

what I cant fathom is why Tommy nutcase thinks it even matters...

an MP's ability is measured in terms of his political ability

not his sexuality

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:00 am

But some legislation decisions would be completely influenced by the mp s own personal ideas on sexuality...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:07 am

Like what?

I'm gay, so I think we should privatise the NHS.
I'm gay, so I think free school dinners are a great idea.

Erm.. No.

Other than equality legislation (which most people including straight MPs tend to be all for) how does being gay affect decision making? And being not gay what the heck the would you know?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:34 am

Fuzzy Zack wrote:I wonder how many were "forced" out because the media had story on them.  

Zero by any chance based on no evidence you offer but something I can only think stems from a poor perception you have of homosexuals.??

What relevance is the above from you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:44 am

Not many of those people are particularly famous so few I imagine Zack, if any.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:45 am

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Didge wrote:

Zero by any chance based on no evidence you offer but something I can only think stems from a poor perception you have of homosexuals.??

What relevance is the above from you?

Lol! It was a question.

And a fair one. How many times have prominent homosexuals been outted by the media?

So once again, spare me your sanctimonious bullshit. It ain't impressing anybody.

What relevance does you question have?

Post up evidence on your claims?

Actually I am easily exposing you for holding really childish views of homosexuals.

Not trying to impress anyone, just expose your failings here

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:22 am

Gay MPs: The photograph that shows Westminster's attitude towards LGBT politicians is changing Quz9BlX
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down