NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duchess Of Cambridge's Blog About George And Charlotte Inspires Moving Stories From Other Parents

Go down

Duchess Of Cambridge's Blog About George And Charlotte Inspires Moving Stories From Other Parents Empty Duchess Of Cambridge's Blog About George And Charlotte Inspires Moving Stories From Other Parents

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Parents, teachers and childcare professionals have spoken out in support of The Duchess Of Cambridge's message on children's mental health, sharing their own moving stories.Her Royal Highness wrote a blog on The Huffington Post UK to introduce her guest editorship of the website yesterday, and the Young Minds Matter campaign which aims to overturn the stigma and silence around young children's mental health problems.

The Duchess shared her feelings about her children Charlotte and George, and her approach to parenting with Prince William: "William and I would not hesitate to seek help for our children if they needed it," she wrote. "We hope to encourage George and Charlotte to speak about their feelings, and to give them the tools and sensitivity to be supportive peers to their friends as they get older. We know there is no shame in a young child struggling with their emotions or suffering from a mental illness."

But she acknowledged that seeking help was "not so easy" for families short of time or money, calling for parents and professionals to help each other.

Her blog prompted conversations from readers around the world, who shared their own stories.

I was made to feel like a bad parent letting my daughter skip school. People didn't see how hard it was to get her even to go over the door. Thankfully things changed, and she is at college and taking on life. Just because there is no bandage doesn't mean there is no illness.
- Susan Falconer

My daughter has Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and the delay in obtaining a diagnosis, and the difficulty she had in understanding and connecting with other children caused her great anxiety, which developed into OCD. At our lowest point, I felt mental illness was invisible to all but those who are affected by it.
- Jane Cook

My niece and two nephews could very much benefit from a program like this after losing their father to illness in 2014. My youngest nephew was four when my brother-in-law passed and it's hit him the hardest. He talks about him almost every day.
- Crystal Derma

The amount of stress our children are under these days is ridiculous, and school has to be one of the most stress-inducing places ever. With more and more pressure from ever changing SATS and tests on top of bullying, our kids need more support than ever.
- Tori Payne

Fantastic way to raise awareness and change minds about how services are currently delivered. It's taken three years for us to get an appointment with a NHS mental health practitioner to assess our now ten-year-old son, and we've all been to hell and back.
- Jayne Skyrme

I've suffered with mental health problems in the past which I did my best to hide. My 19-year-old is now going through the same thing. Both of us have been affected by the suicide of a very troubled 17-year-old close to both of us. We've also lost a 37-year-old married man with three gorgeous kids to suicide. HRH is doing an amazing job raising awareness amongst the young.
- Amanda Williams

I'm so glad someone is finally trying to raise awareness of children's mental health services. They are non-existent, and so many children are suffering. More money needs to go to local CAMHS [Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services] services and also more units to support children. Also more help within schools is desperately needed. I know this as I have struggled for years to get my daughter help. It is very scary and needs looking at now.
- Nichola Edwards

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/18/duchess-of-cambridge-young-minds-matter_n_9265966.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Many more to read on the link.
So good to see how people can inspire others with such a difficult problem such as mental health

Back to top Go down