NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duchess of Cambridge to open restored Bletchley Park

2 posters

Go down

Duchess of Cambridge to open restored Bletchley Park  Empty Duchess of Cambridge to open restored Bletchley Park

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:23 pm

The Duchess of Cambridge has arrived at the newly restored Bletchley Park where she will meet a codebreaker who worked with her grandmother.

The home of the Government Code and Cypher School in Buckinghamshire cost £8m to restore and was mostly funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The duchess will officially open the restored centre later.

Her paternal grandmother, Valerie Glassborow, worked at Bletchley's Hut 16.

Former colleague Lady Marion Body is due to meet the royal later.

The duchess' visit marks the completion of a project to return the buildings to their World War Two appearance and create new visitor facilities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-27898997

This site is of enormous historical importance to this nation and rightly so that it should be restored to as near as possible to how it was in WWII.
However, rather than it being used as a photo shoot for the Royals I would rather the person performing the opening ceremony was a veteran of the war possibly like Bernard Jordan who made sure he was returning to Normandy to remember the fallen and no-one was going to stop him.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Duchess of Cambridge to open restored Bletchley Park  Empty Re: Duchess of Cambridge to open restored Bletchley Park

Post by Guest Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Well, the one thing in her favour is her grandmother worked there, but I bet there are people still alive today who worked there, and one of them should have opened it.

Back to top Go down

Duchess of Cambridge to open restored Bletchley Park  Empty Re: Duchess of Cambridge to open restored Bletchley Park

Post by Cass Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Sassy wrote:Well, the one thing in her favour is her grandmother worked there, but I bet there are people still alive today who worked there, and one of them should have opened it.

possibly but not many Sad.....would've been better to have Catherine AND a former worker to do a joint opening....lets face it she got them publicity which in this case is a good thing and like you said at least she has a genuine link.

I like Catherine a lot. she does a great job under very difficult circumstances.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 pm

I definitely think she is doing well and has completely turned the press round after all the 'Waity Katie' rubbish and they appear to have a really good relationship. Would have liked one of the 'oldies' in on it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:48 pm

agree....just miffed that it will be yonks before I can visit it
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Cass wrote:agree....just miffed that it will be yonks before I can visit it

I'm glad they rescued it, think it was all going to be pulled down at one point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:51 pm

It's right that such a wonderful lady will open it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down