NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health

+2
Victorismyhero
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health Empty Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Californian scientists have identified the source of the sigh. It is not just a response to sadness, depression or despair: it is, also, they report, a life-sustaining reflex that helps preserve lung function.

And a control system in the brain keeps humans sighing about a dozen times an hour, even when they aren’t thinking about the future of the NHS, the European referendum or the latest pronouncements of Donald Trump.

Researchers report in Nature that two tiny clusters of nerve cells in the brain’s stem – the region that, unbidden, automatically takes charge of breathing, sleeping and heart rate – orchestrate the sigh. They do this in a response to an unconscious command to reinflate as necessary the myriad tiny sacs in the lungs called alveoli, which control the body’s traffic in oxygen and carbon dioxide, and which sometimes collapse.

“Unlike a pacemaker that regulates only how fast we breathe, the brain’s breathing centre also controls the type of breath we take,” said Mark Krasnow, a biochemist at the Stanford University School of Medicine, and one of the authors.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/feb/08/a-sighs-not-just-a-sigh-its-a-fundamental-life-sustaining-reflex

Crazy to think some people view sighing as rude ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health Empty Re: Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 pm

I do a lot of that...especially whilst on here.....generally the sort related to despair Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health Empty Re: Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:57 pm

I think sighing is more a sign of irritation than anything else.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I do a lot of that...especially whilst on here.....generally the sort related to despair Rolling Eyes

Ditto!   Like - not another idiot, give me strength, why am I doing this lol

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:31 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I think sighing is more a sign of irritation than anything else.

So do I.
I think this report is all bollocks Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by nicko Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 pm

I thought a nice deep sigh was a way of getting more air your lungs, you can't do a good sigh unless you take in a good lung full of air first.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down