NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NYPD unveils the police car of your nightmares

3 posters

Go down

NYPD unveils the police car of your nightmares Empty NYPD unveils the police car of your nightmares

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:16 pm

NYPD unveils the police car of your nightmares NY-CT429_NYNYPD_G_20131225194209

To the untrained eye, it looks like almost any other New York Police Department cruiser combing the city's streets—but this squad car has just as much brains as it does brawn.

It is the department's prototype "smart car," outfitted with the latest gadgets in public safety. It has two infrared monitors mounted on the trunk that record any numbers it sees—such as license plates and addresses. It has surveillance cameras and air sensors capable of sending real-time information to police headquarters. The NYPD says it is the cruiser of the very near future.

The smart car is one of dozens of projects included in a long-term strategic plan known as NYPD2020, prepared in November for Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

The 13-page report describes initiatives ranging from the high-tech (500 officers have received Samsung Rugby smartphones equipped to deliver real-time crime data) to the bureaucratic (new guidelines for recruiting and keeping qualified candidates). More than a dozen are already under way.

The initiative began in 2011, under the guidance of McKinsey & Co. The consulting firm worked with NYPD officials over 11 months to create a road map for the department over the next decade. McKinsey & Co. declined to comment.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304475004579278122995687950
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

NYPD unveils the police car of your nightmares Empty Re: NYPD unveils the police car of your nightmares

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:19 am

See, I'm wondering about what they didn't tell us these cars have ... because for a supposedly futuristic police vehicle, the only two things that raised red flags for me as new are the license-plate readers and the chemical sniffers.

Back when I was trying to get into the police academy (sic) you had to be able to read a moving license plate from 100 feet away. Which still seems damn-near impossible to me.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

NYPD unveils the police car of your nightmares Empty Re: NYPD unveils the police car of your nightmares

Post by veya_victaous Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:23 am

@bee
I know, it is crap  No No No No  why give that to the popo?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 am

@bee
I know  No Sad 

Wink 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down