NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ohio man gets 30 days in jail for filming teen crash victims without helping them

+3
Major
Original Quill
Raggamuffin
7 posters

Go down

Ohio man gets 30 days in jail for filming teen crash victims without helping them Empty Ohio man gets 30 days in jail for filming teen crash victims without helping them

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:49 pm

An Ohio man who leaned into a wrecked car and took a video of two seriously injured teenagers after a crash without making an effort to aid them was sentenced by a judge on Wednesday to 30 days in jail, media reported.
Paul Pelton, 41, was sentenced by Lorain Municipal Court Judge Thomas Elwell Jr., six months to the day after the crash happened, the Morning Journal of Lorain reported. Pelton pleaded guilty in December to misdemeanor disorderly conduct and vehicle trespass charges in Lorain Municipal Court in connection with the July incident about 30 miles west of Cleveland. Police said Pelton opened a back door and leaned into the wrecked vehicle to record a video on his cell phone minutes after the crash capturing images of the teenagers, one of whom later died. He called them “idiots.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/ohio-man-gets-30-days-in-jail-for-filming-teen-crash-victims-without-helping-them/

One seriously twisted sick wanker

Back to top Go down

Ohio man gets 30 days in jail for filming teen crash victims without helping them Empty Re: Ohio man gets 30 days in jail for filming teen crash victims without helping them

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:05 pm

It seems to me that the first thing people do when they see an unusual event is get their camera phone out - if it's not already glued to their hand.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Ohio man gets 30 days in jail for filming teen crash victims without helping them Empty Re: Ohio man gets 30 days in jail for filming teen crash victims without helping them

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:22 pm

It wasn't the filming that got him into trouble. It was the trespass:

Raw Story wrote:The charge against Pelton, a Lorain resident, stemmed from entering what police said was a crime scene without permission, not for taking the video or trying to sell it to news organizations after posting it to Facebook, authorities said.

It was a crass act, but not against the law to record the video. But you get the feeling that had he opened the car door to help the victims, he would not have been hit with the trespass charge.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Yes we know Quill I did read the whole article, its the raw story making it more dramatic in the headline

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:25 pm

So if he had opened the door to help the victims, it would still have been trespass?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Doubt they would have charged him for that, showing they look to get charged on any act they could and good luck to them for doing so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:34 pm

I was looking for the factual basis for the misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge. The article doesn't say.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Fair enough Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:36 pm

So if I see a car crash I shouldn't go near it in case I get arrested for entering a crime scene without permission?

What a load of rubbish.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:So if I see a car crash I shouldn't go near it in case I get arrested for entering a crime scene without permission?

What a load of rubbish.

Well, most states have a 'Good Samaritan' law. Ohio has ORC 2305, Liability for Emergency Care:

Ohio Revised Code wrote:No person shall be liable in civil damages for administering emergency care or treatment at the scene of an emergency outside of a hospital, doctor's office, or other place having proper medical equipment, for acts performed at the scene of such emergency, unless such acts constitute willful or wanton misconduct.

But this man was not rendering emergency care. So you are OK if you want to help.

But that's on the civil side. I was most interested in the laws they used (that's why I was looking for the factual basis for the two charges) for criminal prosecution, too. It's a rare case when you see criminal prosecution for this kind of thing.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Basically it stands instead of him being done for "being a callous twat" since "being a callous twat" isnt against the law

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Which goes back to my point Quill, clearly they looked to charge him with anything being as they were disgusted at his antics, and I do not blame him, 30 days to me is not long enough. Filming one as they are slowing dying and doing nothing to help, its disgusting in my book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:55 pm

So why was the car a crime scene? Was the driver breaking the law at the time of the crash?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:56 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Basically it stands instead of him being done for  "being a callous twat" since "being a callous twat" isnt against the law

Yes, that's the jist of it. I did a double-take too.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Didge wrote:Which goes back to my point Quill, clearly they looked to charge him with anything being as they were disgusted at his antics, and I do not blame him, 30 days to me is not long enough. Filming one as they are slowing dying and doing nothing to help, its disgusting in my book.

Yes, they were clearly reaching for something, anything...

It was pretty outrageous.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:So why was the car a crime scene? Was the driver breaking the law at the time of the crash?

Gd. question.  Obviously they had to declare the site off-limits, to make the trespass charge stick.  Maybe under Ohio law, a scene of an emergency is a "crime scene" regardless of criminal wrongdoing.  Perhaps its a journalistic term meaning a 'police' scene.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Regardless of any law or any whatever-whoevers, you'd have to be a seriously sick and emotionally retarded person to NOT help someone in a car wreck if you've actually got close enough to help....
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:So why was the car a crime scene? Was the driver breaking the law at the time of the crash?

Gd. question.  Obviously they had to declare the site off-limits, to make the trespass charge stick.  Maybe under Ohio law, a scene of an emergency is a "crime scene" regardless of criminal wrongdoing.  Perhaps its a journalistic term meaning a 'police' scene.

But presumably it hadn't been declared off limits at the time he took the video. Don't get me wrong - what was did was awful, but I think the charge was a bit dodgy.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:08 pm

eddie wrote:Regardless of any law or any whatever-whoevers, you'd have to be a seriously sick and emotionally retarded person to NOT help someone in a car wreck if you've actually got close enough to help....

Exactly Eddie and who cares how they got him done, they managed to do so and for that I am glad as he is one sick twisted wanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 pm

I read that the driver was speeding, and the passenger died. I wonder if the driver will also be prosecuted.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:13 pm

Ah, he has been charged with aggravated vehicular homocide apparently.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:15 pm

eddie wrote:Regardless of any law or any whatever-whoevers, you'd have to be a seriously sick and emotionally retarded person to NOT help someone in a car wreck if you've actually got close enough to help....

Oh yeah...the guy's heinous. Evil or Very Mad

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

But presumably it hadn't been declared off limits at the time he took the video. Don't get me wrong - what was did was awful, but I think the charge was a bit dodgy.

Well, what a lot of legal jurisdictions do is create a 'constructive off-limits' zone...meaning, it's ipso facto a 'police scene' when the accident happens. Then they don't need to take any special steps to declare it off-limits.

It is dodgy. One-of-a-kind...that's probably why they had to do some creative legalizing to come up with a criminal charge. How many times...well, we've all heard of the paparazzi.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:26 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well, what a lot of legal jurisdictions do is create a 'constructive off-limits' zone...meaning, it's ipso facto a 'police scene' when the accident happens.  Then they don't need to take any special steps to declare it off-limits.  

It is dodgy.  One-of-a-kind...that's probably why they had to do some creative legalizing to come up with a criminal charge.  How many times...well, we've all heard of the paparazzi.

But if he had opened the door and got in the car to help, they wouldn't have prosecuted him for trespass. They only did so because they didn't like what he did.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:06 pm

however I dont think any of the states have a law that says you HAVE to help...

just like here....

in france however it is an actual offence NOT to give, or at least summon aid
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:42 pm

Lord Foul wrote:however I dont think any of the states have a law that says you HAVE to help...

just like here....

in france however it is an actual offence NOT to give, or at least summon aid

Actually many states have a "failure to render aid" law, I'm not sure about Ohio, though. And those don't always apply to situations like these -- sometimes they only imply not helping a law enforcement official.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Ohio Revised Statutes wrote:ORS 2921.23 Failure to aid a law enforcement officer.
(A) No person shall negligently fail or refuse to aid a law enforcement officer, when called upon for assistance in preventing or halting the commission of an offense, or in apprehending or detaining an offender, when such aid can be given without a substantial risk of physical harm to the person giving it.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-1974

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:51 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ohio Revised Statutes wrote:ORS 2921.23 Failure to aid a law enforcement officer.
(A) No person shall negligently fail or refuse to aid a law enforcement officer, when called upon for assistance in preventing or halting the commission of an offense, or in apprehending or detaining an offender, when such aid can be given without a substantial risk of physical harm to the person giving it.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-1974

I'm thinking a "minor misdemeanor" doesn't generally come with 30 days in jail ... I think they've screwed up the charges and I fear this guy will walk.

NOTE: This doesn't mean I think it's right or a good thing that he would walk. I'm merely applying my knowledge of the world to make an informed prediction. Much like I do regarding presidential elections ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:58 pm

No, I understand.  But didn't he plead out?

The "minor misdemeanor" is under the 'failure to aid' law.  I just posted it because you asked about it.  That's not the law in play with this case.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:12 pm

Original Quill wrote:No, I understand.  But didn't he plead out?

The "minor misdemeanor" is under the 'failure to aid' law.  I just posted it because you asked about it.  That's not the law in play with this case.

I'm not sure, but I get what you're saying. I just wanted to inoculate myself against any potential accusations that because I think this guy could walk, I want him to Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:So if I see a car crash I shouldn't go near it in case I get arrested for entering a crime scene without permission?

What a load of rubbish.

No it would not be tresspass as you are providing assitance in an emergecy situation.

generally if you are acting with good intention you are fairly safe from tresspass laws unless you knowingly ignore signage.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down