NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The truth and the lie about "North Cyprus"

Go down

The truth and the lie about "North Cyprus" Empty The truth and the lie about "North Cyprus"

Post by eddie Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Saw this on Facebook and thought it interesting:

The truth and the lie about "North Cyprus" Image30

This is so heartbreaking. The horrifying truth is being "obscured" by these astonishing lies. Glorifying a nation that does not even exist. "North" Cyprus did not declare independence in 1974. The real events that took place on that date are way more complicated. The Republic of Cyprus was invaded by Turkey, both Greek Cypriots as well as Turkish Cypriots were murdered, held hostage and driven out of their homes. Families were separated; women and children cold bloodedly murdered on the spot; hundreds of thousands of refuges ended up seeking shelter in their own country. I grew up in a family that unfortunately was impacted by these events. Both my parents are refugees from Ammochostos (Famagusta), my father had to fight in this war when he was barely 21 years old. Both their families lost their home. My grandmothers' chilling story of what took place on that devastating day, just leaves me dumbfounded. The first night after they left their home they had to sleep on a church's floor. Other people lost their loved ones, others even watched their loved ones being killed. Bones of missing people are still being recovered.
And this is what the outside world is seeing? "North Cyprus the ultimate holiday destination".
There is no "north" and "south". Just ONE country. One country split in two.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The truth and the lie about "North Cyprus" Empty Re: The truth and the lie about "North Cyprus"

Post by Guest Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:32 pm

Remember is well as my best friend at the time was a Greek Cypriot girl (married to a gorgeous Irish guy, but that's another story).  She was desperate about her family that were still in Cyprus.  Eventually the whole family moved over here and told us about it, was horrible.

Back to top Go down

The truth and the lie about "North Cyprus" Empty Re: The truth and the lie about "North Cyprus"

Post by eddie Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 pm

I neVer knew all this! It's very interesting.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:13 pm

Most people don't Eddie.  There is still a lot of animosity in Cyprus between Greeks and Turks.  It has also effected people who since then have bought land in 'North Cyprus':

David and Linda Orams bought land in northern Cyprus in 2002. But the original owner of the land, who fled to the south in a Turkish invasion after a brief Greek-inspired coup in 1974, took legal action against them in Cyprus to recover his property.
This resulted in the Nicosia District Court ordering the demolition of the villa, pool and fencing. The couple were also ordered to give the property back to Meletios Apostolides and pay him damages, Britain's Press Association reported.
Apostolides sought enforcement of the ruling abroad, since Greek Cypriot court verdicts are not acknowledged in breakaway north Cyprus.
The European Court ruled in favour of the original owner and, in what appears to be a final judgment, the UK Court of Appeal rejected arguments that the European Court judge's close links to Cyprus influenced his decision.
The Court of Appeal decision could affect thousands of other holiday-home owners in northern Cyprus who bought land which once belonged to Greek Cypriots who fled the invasion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/7027869/British-couple-lose-north-Cyprus-land-fight.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down