NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woman shot dead in care home.

+3
Victorismyhero
Major
Syl
7 posters

Go down

Woman shot dead in care home. Empty Woman shot dead in care home.

Post by Syl Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:20 pm

An 81 year old woman has been shot dead in a care home by an 86 year old fellow resident.He is thought to be a relative of the woman.
How the heck do care home residents get their hands on a gun?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3376247/Man-arrested-woman-80s-shot-dead-care-home-Essex.html
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Woman shot dead in care home. Empty Re: Woman shot dead in care home.

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:33 pm

well thats a good question...

see, unless there is reason...he is entitled to hold his guns (if he WAS licenced) for as long as his mental condition is sufficiently good.

we dont know whats happened here but it seems lilkely he's lost the plot...and his doctors didnt notify the police so they could remove his licence and his guns

OR that they were notified and dint act (not entirely unknown)

just cos he's in a care home doesnt make him either mentally or physically incapable of enjoying some shooting...what it means is that somewhere , some-one didnt do their job....

hm an illegal fire arm...hidden away since heavens knows when???

does begin to sound like a "pact"

Last edited by Lord Foul on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Details haven't been released yet, but I doubt anyone would end someone's dementia by shooting them....there has to be easier ways.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Lord Foul wrote:well thats a good question...

see, unless there is reason...he is entitled to hold his guns (if he WAS licenced) for as long as his mental condition is sufficiently good.

we dont know whats happened here but it seems lilkely he's lost the plot...and his doctors didnt notify the police so they could remove his licence and his guns

OR that they were notified and dint act (not entirely unknown)

just cos he's in a care home doesnt make him either mentally or physically incapable of enjoying some shooting...what it means is that somewhere , some-one didnt do their job....

The gun is believed to be illegally held.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:07 pm

It's unusual for relatives to be in care homes together, apart from husbands and wives, you rarely get residents who are related.

Not that, that, has anything to do with anything lol
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:34 am

Stormee wrote:Her husband did it.

So reading the latest report you could have been right about the reason. It's tragic if that was the case.
The lady was a resident and her husband was staying with her in the care home over Christmas.
People generally aren't searched as they come and go in care homes, so it would not have been difficult for him to take a gun in with him.

I agree about dementia being a living hell, not only for the sufferer but for the families too, who suffer with them.
Maybe the poor man just couldn't take it anymore.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:00 am

Syl wrote:
I agree about dementia being a living hell, not only for the sufferer but for the families too, who suffer with them.

I lived with a mother who had dementia for nearly ten-years.  It is a head-long spiral into indignity.  I would certainly not want to go out that way.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

I lived with a mother who had dementia for nearly ten-years.  It is a head-long spiral into indignity.  I would certainly not want to go out that way.

It's hell....no other word to describe it. I hope your mum is at peace now.....which means so will you be, apart from the years of tormented memories that seeing a loved one suffer with dementia leaves behind.

I don't know anyone who when in their right mind would choose the option to live with dementia.
Hopefully one day people will have the option to legally choose to die.....how sad that people still have to suffer for years, or as in this case take the law into their own hands, which is tragic.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Sorry about your mum Quill. Dementia is harder on the family and friends than on the individual.
Hope she's at peace X
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:15 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Sorry about your mum Quill. Dementia is harder on the family and friends than on the individual.
Hope she's at peace X

She's dead almost 20-years. And ty. She lived a hard life, from a South Dakota farm girl, to a world in society she didn't understand. I almost think the dementia was a form of escape from guilt--self-imposed, but guilt non-the-less.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:20 pm

That's sad.
My grandmother was showing signs of dementia, I first noticed when she kept confusing all her money and coins etc, and her dementia spiralled out of control when my granddad died.

Shock or stress, certainly seem to be a huge factor in patients getting "worse".
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:33 am

Stormee wrote:Did people still have it under another name?

I remember a type of hospital in Warwick they called the mad house amongst other things, I wonder if people were put there with dementia, out of the way??

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Storm. We keep learning...keep renaming.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Stormee wrote:A mercy killing IMHO.
I hope I get help if ever needed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3376247/Man-arrested-woman-80s-shot-dead-care-home-Essex.html

Yep.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:56 pm

ALL hand guns should have been given up years ago.

Vic, looking at that Revolver it looks very much like a Webley @ Scott .45, issued to Officers in WW1.

Could be wrong, what do you think?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:44 pm

I'd go with that nicko...

only ever seen ONE before this "in the flesh" so to speak, but yep....

mind they were as common as muck. and of course, just becasue they "should have been given up" doesnt guarantee they were....

I doubt very much that that one ever appeared on a register anywhere in its life....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:49 pm

there is every possibility he kept it, hidden in the loft/shed where ever, for just this eventuality
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:08 pm

I read that a lot of guns and ammunition was kept as souvenirs from WW2. They should have been handed in but obviously many were not.

I hope this man is treated kindly.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Doesn't it depend on why he did it?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Doesn't it depend on why he did it?

Yes it does, but he said "She cant take anymore" as he shot her. Care home staff also said he wanted to kill himself too but was shaking from head to foot and couldn't do it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:22 pm

I feel so sorry for him, Mum had a form of dementia that made her starve herself, which in turn made it worse.  Dad was wracked with guilt that we could not keep her at home and wore himself out spending every day at the care home, and brother and I took it in turns to stay with him and visit with him, it was awful to see.  I sat with her when she died as Dad had finally succumbed to a bad chest infection.  It was a merciful release.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:32 pm

sassy wrote:I feel so sorry for him, Mum had a form of dementia that made her starve herself, which in turn made it worse.  Dad was wracked with guilt that we could not keep her at home and wore himself out spending every day at the care home, and brother and I took it in turns to stay with him and visit with him, it was awful to see.  I sat with her when she died as Dad had finally succumbed to a bad chest infection.  It was a merciful release.

I'm sorry your mum and you and yours went through that sassy....we had similar with my mum and it was utter hell, for her and for us.
Like you say it is a merciful release when someone who is suffering badly from dementia (and all the side effects, which are often different from person to person) pass on.

It does sound like this man was at the end of his tether....watching someone you love suffer like this is worse than suffering yourself imo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:37 pm

I agree, and on the news he was in a state of near collapse, I doubt he will last much longer himself.

Sorry about your Mum too, already have a stack of pills to take if the same happens to me.  At the moment, Doc says my brain scan showed no problems in that way, so they are in the back of the drawer for the time being Twisted Evil Twisted Evil     Conned by doctor not long after my Mum died by saying I couldn't sleep and have two months supply of tablets I never used, and hopefully never will as I seem to take after my Dad and he's 93 in Feb and still has all his marbles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:46 pm

sassy wrote:I agree, and on the news he was in a state of near collapse, I doubt he will last much longer himself.

Sorry about your Mum too, already have a stack of pills to take if the same happens to me.  At the moment, Doc says my brain scan showed no problems in that way, so they are in the back of the drawer for the time being Twisted Evil Twisted Evil     Conned by doctor not long after my Mum died by saying I couldn't sleep and have two months supply of tablets I never used, and hopefully never will as I seem to take after my Dad and he's 93 in Feb and still has all his marbles.

Hopefully you will never need those pills....it is scary when we have seen loved ones suffer with dementia, but that doesn't mean we will.
Also with any luck the law re assisted suicide and euthanasia will change in the future.....something has to be done.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:48 pm

It certainly does!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:49 pm

They can't just let him off can they? He shot her in front of other residents - with a gun that he probably had illegally.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:They can't just let him off can they? He shot her in front of other residents - with a gun that he probably had illegally.

It's a very unusual case isn't it? I cant remember anything like this ever happening.
Family members have 'killed' their loved ones who were suffering like this, but in a more discreet way, and on the odd occasion they have been charged I think they are usually not given a jail sentence.
He could be suffering from a form of dementia himself, in which case I doubt he would be jailed....hope not anyway.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:09 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:They can't just let him off can they? He shot her in front of other residents - with a gun that he probably had illegally.

It's a very unusual case isn't it? I cant remember anything like this ever happening.
Family members have 'killed' their loved ones who were suffering like this, but in a more discreet way, and on the odd occasion they have been charged I think they are usually not given a jail sentence.
He could be suffering from a form of dementia himself, in which case I doubt he would be jailed....hope not anyway.

Yes, it's highly unusual. There doesn't seem much point giving him a life sentence for murder really, but they do need to look at the circumstances carefully. After all, the story is that he did it for her own good, but that needs to be checked out.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down