NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian

+5
veya_victaous
Ben Reilly
Victorismyhero
Raggamuffin
Major
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian Empty Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:31 am

After the COP21 in Paris

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian CWPy9bWW4AAPyvF

What a disgusting man he is.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian Empty Re: Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:38 am

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian Empty Re: Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:46 am

I don't get it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Is it racist though????
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:24 pm

It's implying that, as they are wearing turbans Indians, don't have the intelligence to use solar panels for energy and would try and eat them.  You can't get more racist than that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:46 pm

or is it implying something deeper

that it is no use sending technology to a people who dont know how to use it
that to use it requires education and that education cant be put in place until the people have an assure source of food

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian 2190311264

certainly I saw it as a dig at the presumtiousness of the "educated west"
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:43 pm

It's a dig saying the people of India may need food more than solar panels (in the short run; building energy infrastructure has certainly never led to starvation before) but the people in the cartoon are pretty hideously racist caricatures that seem more like they were drawn a century or two ago (by a very "Britain is civilising the world"-minded cartoonist).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:It's a dig saying the people of India may need food more than solar panels (in the short run; building energy infrastructure has certainly never led to starvation before) but the people in the cartoon are pretty hideously racist caricatures that seem more like they were drawn a century or two ago (by a very "Britain is civilising the world"-minded cartoonist).

Nice try at attempting to associate the cartoon with the British.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm

yes of course ben only "sanitized" caricatures are allowed in your world,

perhaps he should have drawn them in suits sitting round a conference table?

no wonder you are always tired...it must be bloody hard work looking for racism in everything
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:It's a dig saying the people of India may need food more than solar panels (in the short run; building energy infrastructure has certainly never led to starvation before) but the people in the cartoon are pretty hideously racist caricatures that seem more like they were drawn a century or two ago (by a very "Britain is civilising the world"-minded cartoonist).

Oh, are we trying to pretend that didn't happen too?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Lord Foul wrote:yes of course ben only "sanitized" caricatures are allowed in your world,

perhaps he should have drawn them in suits sitting round a conference table?

no wonder you are always tired...it must be bloody hard work looking for racism in everything

If the point was to show they need food, why make a racist caricature of them?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian India_2004897c
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Pretend what didn't happen? Are you about to start ranting about the British again? Try to stick to the point this time.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:59 pm

why is the caricature "racist"

face it caricatures is what cartoonists do

and it shows a reality in some parts of india...

or is this yet more lefty "feeling offended on behalf of others" ?
which leads to the absurdity of councils stopping christmas displays etc...
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:01 pm

I see Ben...right we will make cartoon drawing a criminal offense and ONLY allow photos

perhaps all those punch satires should be burned

Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:02 pm

Amanda Wise, an associate professor of sociology at Macquarie University, said in her view the cartoon was shocking and would be unacceptable in the UK, the US or Canada.
"This cartoon is unequivocally racist and draws on very base stereotypes of third world, underdeveloped people who don't know what to do with technology," Wise told Guardian Australia.
"India is the technology centre of the world right now and has some of the most high-tech industries on the planet in that part of the world. The underlying message is that people in developing countries dont need all these technologies to do with climate change -- they need food," she said.
The cartoon was widely condemned on Twitter, with many users drawing attention to India's rapidly developing sustainable energy sector.
Deakin University Professor Yin Paradies, whose research includes the economic effects of racism, also took the view the cartoons message was clearly racist.
"The message ... is that India is too stupid to handle renewable energy and should stick to coal," Paradies was quoted as saying.
"Suggesting that developing nations are stupid is racist given that such nations are invariably associated with specific racial groups (i.e. non-whites)," he said.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/racist-aus-cartoon-shows-indians-eating-solar-panels/1/546846.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Pretend what didn't happen? Are you about to start ranting about the British again? Try to stick to the point this time.

Cartoons are meant to offend but I don’t find this cartoon offensive. I don’t see racist tones in it either; it is just a continuation of the old colonial mindset. I would say that a cartoonist like Patrick Chappatte is truly an internationalist, but a large number of Western cartoonists have a totally neocolonial worldview. I remember an American cartoon in which one American is asking another, Is it ‘shit’ or Shiite? There are enough tasteless cartoons appearing in India as well.

Cartoons are meant to poke fun, push limits. At the most one can say Leak’s cartoon is uninformed. He is depicting India in a certain way; India is not like that anymore.

http://thewire.in/2015/12/15/indian-cartoonists-react-to-racist-aussie-toon-17311/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:08 pm

I knew Ben would find a way to blame anyone except the Australian person who drew it! lololololololololololol.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:08 pm

I see ben is as thick as ever, as it is showing the plight of hunger and how in a nation they do not care for the civillians, by showing solar panels are of more importance. That is the message that it portrays, but Murdoch is doing this based on a stupid denial of global warming. So did he do it from a racist view point?
No it was him displaying a view of how Indians are starving and only having such non-food items to eat.

Last edited by Richard The Lionheart on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:09 pm

Richard The Lionheart wrote:I see ben is as thick as ever, as it is showing the plight of hunger and how in a nation they do not care for the civillians, by showing solar panels are of more importance. That is the message that it portrays, but Murdoch is doing this based on a stupid denial of global warming. So did he do it from a racisy view point?
No it was him displaying a view of how Indians are starving and only having such non-food items to eat.

Except mango chutney.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I knew Ben would find a way to blame anyone except the Australian person who drew it! lololololololololololol.

I'm not blaming anybody besides the cartoonist -- who is obviously drawing from racist, colonial traditions, as people who know more than we do about cartooning have pointed out.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I knew Ben would find a way to blame anyone except the Australian person who drew it! lololololololololololol.

I'm not blaming anybody besides the cartoonist -- who is obviously drawing from racist, colonial traditions, as people who know more than we do about cartooning have pointed out.

The Australian cartoonist. Can you not bring yourself to type "Australian"?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Richard The Lionheart wrote:I see ben is as thick as ever, as it is showing the plight of hunger and how in a nation they do not care for the civillians, by showing solar panels are of more importance. That is the message that it portrays, but Murdoch is doing this based on a stupid denial of global warming. So did he do it from a racist view point?

Which I also talked about, idiot -- read the thread. But the caricatures are pretty racist.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Richard The Lionheart wrote:I see ben is as thick as ever, as it is showing the plight of hunger and how in a nation they do not care for the civillians, by showing solar panels are of more importance. That is the message that it portrays, but Murdoch is doing this based on a stupid denial of global warming. So did he do it from a racist view point?

Which I also talked about, idiot -- read the thread. But the caricatures are pretty racist.

No the point is lost on your head as usual apologist twat

Its shows the plight of hunger and desperation that people would have to eat such non-ffods because of the fact they are starving. I am not sure how you draw indians in a state of hunder if not scrawny.
When are you going to take your head out of the sand.
It was not done out of a view to be racist but out of a view of stupidity of denial of global warming.
That is why you fail to understand context.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:17 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Amanda Wise, an associate professor of sociology at Macquarie University, said in her view the cartoon was shocking and would be unacceptable in the UK, the US or Canada.
"This cartoon is unequivocally racist and draws on very base stereotypes of third world, underdeveloped people who don't know what to do with technology," Wise told Guardian Australia.
"India is the technology centre of the world right now and has some of the most high-tech industries on the planet in that part of the world. The underlying message is that people in developing countries dont need all these technologies to do with climate change -- they need food," she said.
The cartoon was widely condemned on Twitter, with many users drawing attention to India's rapidly developing sustainable energy sector.
Deakin University Professor Yin Paradies, whose research includes the economic effects of racism, also took the view the cartoons message was clearly racist.
"The message ... is that India is too stupid to handle renewable energy and should stick to coal," Paradies was quoted as saying.
"Suggesting that developing nations are stupid is racist given that such nations are invariably associated with specific racial groups (i.e. non-whites)," he said.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/racist-aus-cartoon-shows-indians-eating-solar-panels/1/546846.html

what do you expect...saying things like that is what makes her daily dollar
doubless a lefty

what is it with lefties...

they say to various groups ...I find this offensive on your behalf...and so should you

shiiit...no wonder theres so much "race tension" when folks are telling minorities how and what about to be offended over

its one thing to be "learned" and another entirely to have either sense or proportion

"je suis charlie"

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Richard The Lionheart wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Its shows the plight of hunger and desperation that people would have to eat such non-ffods because of the fact they are starving. I am not sure how you draw indians in a state of hunder if not scrawny.
It was not done out of a view to be racist but out of a view of stupidity of denial of global warming.

Kiss my ass. I'm done with you until you learn to have a civil debate.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Ah the old copout, I have no real response and instead claiming civility even when you have been rude yourself

Again double standards.

When you learn to earn respect, you will have civility, until then, when you continue to defend abhorant things as you do, then you deserve utterly no respect

Comprende?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Ah the old copout, I have no real response and instead claiming civility even when you have been rude yourself

Again double standards.

When you learn to earn respect, you will have civility, until then, when you continue to defend abhorant things as you do, then you deserve utterly no respect

Comprende?

You're such a blowhard Rolling Eyes
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:02 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Again double standards.

Comprende?

Thank you for proving my point on hypocrisy and double standards lol

You lefties seriously cannot take it can you.

Here this is for you Ben

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian Z

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Again double standards.

Comprende?

That's not quite the word I'd use lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:10 pm

sassy wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

That's not quite the word I'd use lol

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian 2Q==

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:18 pm

I was doing the opposite and saying he wasn't using the right words. He was far too nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:38 pm

sassy wrote:I was doing the opposite and saying he wasn't using the right words. He was far too nice.

Which just goes to prove my point how nasty you are.

Thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Nothing nasty about speaking the truth.  Unfortunately there are people in this life who are so beyond the pale, bullies, racist, unjustified egos etc, that they should not be allowed out in decent company.  You fit that bill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:44 pm

sassy wrote:Nothing nasty about speaking the truth.  Unfortunately there are people in this life who are so beyond the pale, bullies, racist, unjustified egos etc, that they should not be allowed out in decent company.  You fit that bill.

But you are racist sassy, so based on the view above, what does that make you?
You see you like Sexy both have tried to justify attacking civillians based off a false premise.
Ressitance under occupation, where again no law allows for the deliberate targeting of civillians.
Only a racist hate of a people would make people think it was justified, when in far it is either terrorism or in a conflict a war crime.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Sorry to say it but, why is this news? this is the sort of newspaper people like Stormee read.. it is racsit and ignorant

it is border line racsit as it is caricatures of the third world, and there is some legitimacy to the commentary. it is in response to Australia changing it's overseas aide to focus on renewable energy.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:28 pm

is there anything particularly inherently wrong with caricaturing the third world though veya..
as I said its what cartoonists do

I think the message is actually quite powerful

whats te point of sending them solar tech...if they are starving???
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:29 pm

It's the biggest-selling national newspaper in Australia apparently, and there was no need to bring another poster into it just to score a silly point.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:32 pm

And the Cartoonist is not really racsit (he defends boat people often) but is pretty 'harsh' in his cartoons of politicians

Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian Election-2010-004
Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian Bill-leak-terror
Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian 628777-120630-bill-leak
Racist Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch's The Australian Leak-trying-to-stop-the-boats
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's the biggest-selling national newspaper in Australia apparently, and there was no need to bring another poster into it just to score a silly point.

cause it's pretty much the ONLY national newspaper   Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

we all have state based ones that are more relevant
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:35 pm

So even veya admits now its not racist

Some humble pie from the lefties?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Lord Foul wrote:is there anything particularly inherently wrong with caricaturing the third world though veya..

I did say there is some legitimacy to the commentary and i don't think the cartoonist meant it to be spiteful the to the 3rd world, but can see how it could be interpreted that way when you don't take into account it is immediately after an announcement that a a large portion of our overseas aide would now be linked to renewable energy targets.

I think there is a point to giving them Electricity even when starving, since we can also give them hydroponic setups and water purifiers that need electricity. and renewable power sources don't need fuel so are that much more effective for them.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:40 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:is there anything particularly inherently wrong with caricaturing the third world though veya..

I did say there is some legitimacy to the commentary and i don't think the cartoonist meant it to be spiteful the to the 3rd world, but can see how it could be interpreted that way when you don't take into account it is immediately after an announcement that a a large portion of our overseas aide would now be linked to renewable energy targets.

I think there is a point to giving them Electricity even when starving, since we can also give them hydroponic setups and water purifiers that need electricity. and renewable power sources don't need fuel so are that much more effective for them.

But this is the point it is how wrongly some people see something when many of us did not see it that way but of the plight of starving people.
Some sadly here constantly view anything with colourization, which is inherantly wrong and actually make racism far worse. They fail to grasp the message even after many of us reasoned our points, and where I bet now they will agree only after a fellow lefty states he knows other works of the artists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:43 pm

Richard The Lionheart wrote:So even veya admits now its not racist

Why is what Veya thinks so important? He claims he's not a leftie anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Richard The Lionheart wrote:So even veya admits now its not racist

because Ben very much respects him and I bet now also sassy will back track also, now that hs has stated the artist has done many works that are hard hitting and not racist

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

because Ben very much respects him and I bet now also sassy will back track also, now that hs has stated the artist has done many works that are hard hitting and not racist

Oh right. Yes, I've never seen Ben disagree with Veya about anything.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:05 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

Why is this board so important to you?

Lol! You need  to get a life.

Again zack, your immature emotive goading is so bad, its like I say utterly embarressing.

Seriously, if debate is wrong, then why are you and everyone else here?
Beause people love a debate and at times a heated discussion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next