NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-depressants 'no more effective than counselling'

+3
Victorismyhero
eddie
Raggamuffin
7 posters

Go down

Anti-depressants 'no more effective than counselling' Empty Anti-depressants 'no more effective than counselling'

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:11 am

Anti-depressants are no more effective than counselling in tackling depression, a BMJ study has found. The research comes amid soaring levels of prescribing of the drugs, with a doubling in the numbers doled out in the last decade. Researchers examined 11 trials which compared modern antidepressants such as Prozac with psychological approaches, usually involving cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). The study found no statistical difference between drugs and therapy when it came to their effectiveness for moderate to severe depression.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12039952/anti-depressants-vs-counselling.html

Back to top Go down

Anti-depressants 'no more effective than counselling' Empty Re: Anti-depressants 'no more effective than counselling'

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:59 am

It's a lot easier to take a pill than go to a counselling session though. They're often used in conjunction.

It would also depend on the reason for the depression.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Anti-depressants 'no more effective than counselling' Empty Re: Anti-depressants 'no more effective than counselling'

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:02 am

A short term course at the beginning of the problem may help, but again drug dependecy is a problem and how I agree it has little effect. This is an area that is difficult to treat but I believe at present the best methods are through counceelling various methods.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:08 am

Richard The Lionheart wrote:A short term course at the beginning of the problem may help, but again drug dependecy is a problem and how I agree it has little effect. This is an area that is difficult to treat but I believe at present the best methods are through counceelling various methods.

I don't think that there's a serious issue with drug dependency with antidepressants. They can have side effects though. They are effective for many people so they shouldn't be dismissed.

Counselling is probably useful in that someone can talk to another person without being judged and without being gossiped about. It could also encourage someone to change their perception of a given situation if that's what depressing them. If the depression is very severe though I think that drugs might be required too, otherwise the person won't be able to understand the counselling sessions. It might also be quite difficult to fit in counselling sessions for some people.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:12 am

As I say I am not dismissing them as like I say they should be in many cases a start off help, but then through many of the councelling methods, the drugs should be stopped, unless again v ery severe cases. There is many cases of drug dependency which is counter productive. I think new methods or a far better medical invention is needed for this problem. It is an area where more and more suffering from

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:17 am

Richard The Lionheart wrote:As I say I am not dismissing them as like I say they should be in many cases a start off help, but then through many of the councelling methods, the drugs should be stopped, unless again v ery severe cases. There is many cases of drug dependency which is counter productive. I think new methods or a far better medical invention is needed for this problem. It is an area where more and more suffering from

I think that drugs should not be used in mild or even moderate depression, only in severe depression. If someone is depressed about a given situation, that's normal and can be worked through, but if the depression then becomes clinical and way beyond the original reaction to the situation, drugs are probably necessary.

I do not think that antidepressants create dependency in the way that other drugs can. A lot of people don't like the idea of being on them for ever though, and we don't know much about the long-term effects.

A lot of people have what they call depression, but it's not necessarily clinical depression. They might benefit from talking to someone.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:23 pm

There are different types of depression, one kind is a chemical inbalance so I guess the tablets must work on that kind of depression?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:30 pm

CBT is an abusive bullying method that has as much validity as ECT
I know

I was made to attend some via an insurance company who thought it could cure arthritis

all practitioners of it should be delicensed immediately and the originators boiled alive
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 pm

eddie wrote:There are different types of depression, one kind is a chemical inbalance so I guess the tablets must work on that kind of depression?

agree, some degree of depression is normal at points in life.
But some people seem to be broken and depressed all the time
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:45 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
eddie wrote:There are different types of depression, one kind is a chemical inbalance so I guess the tablets must work on that kind of depression?

agree, some degree of depression is normal at points in life.
But some people seem to be broken and depressed all the time

Yes they do. I cannot imagine how that must feel. I really feel for people with depression. It's a terrible, horrible illness.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc

This is beautiful and spot on. Please watch.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:29 am

Lord Foul wrote:CBT is an abusive bullying method that has as much validity as ECT
I know

I was made to attend some via an insurance company who thought it could cure arthritis

all practitioners of it should be delicensed immediately and the originators boiled alive

That's interesting. Did they take the view that your arthritis was psychosomatic in origin?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:11 am

Stormee wrote:I knew someone who had counselling and pills, he was a WORSE wreck for ages whilst being treated, he had marital probs and eventually took his own life.

I sometimes wonder if pills are given out by GPs to get you off their backs, out of their surgery.  

It could have been the counselling which pushed him over the edge Stormee.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Cass wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc

That's a fantastic video Cass and really explains depression to us simpletons X
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:40 pm

Winston Churchill used to refer to his depression as his black dog.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:41 pm

eddie wrote:

That's a fantastic video Cass and really explains depression to us simpletons X

Utterly brilliant video, everyone should watch it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:46 pm

I think he's describing dysthymia.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:50 pm

No, dysthymia is mild depression, but persistant.  Black dog is much, much worse.  Winston Churchill used to talk about it.  Deep depression like that sucks the life out of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:55 pm

sassy wrote:No, dysthymia is mild depression, but persistant.  Black dog is much, much worse.  Winston Churchill used to talk about it.  Deep depression like that sucks the life out of you.

Well that's what the video was describing. The guy was still functioning, and he could hide it. I guess it depends on your definition of "mild".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:No, dysthymia is mild depression, but persistant.  Black dog is much, much worse.  Winston Churchill used to talk about it.  Deep depression like that sucks the life out of you.

Well that's what the video was describing. The guy was still functioning, and he could hide it. I guess it depends on your definition of "mild".

You don't think Winston Churchill hid it?

It doesn't depend on my definition of mild.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:06 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You don't think Winston Churchill hid it?

It doesn't depend on my definition of mild.

Yes, I think Churchill hid it. He probably had dysthymia too.

Dysthymia is milder than a major depression.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:12 pm

That's simple and informative, and I hope anyone who suffers from depression watches it.
I cant pretend to know how depression like that can feel, I do know people who have/do suffer from it though, and I know how hard it is to face life when it descends.....and how hard it is for the people who love them.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down