NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU

Go down

Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU Empty Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU

Post by Guest Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:08 pm

About 400 people participated in a march and demonstration Monday at San Diego State in response to a report of a hate crime against a Muslim student last week.

"When Muslim women are under attack, what do we do?" a student called out to the crowd.

"Stand up, fight back!" marchers responded in a chant that continued as the crowd walked from the center of campus to the student union, where several speakers denounced acts of hatred and intolerance against Muslims and other groups.

A white man in his 20s grabbed a female Muslim student's headscarf in a campus parking lot Thursday afternoon and made racist comments to her, campus police said.

SDSU police Lt. Randy Lawrence said Monday that no suspect has been identified.

"The attacker came at the student from behind and choked her with the hijab, or headscarf," said Hanif Mohebi, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations-San Diego, who met with the student. "He told her, 'Get out of this country.' That she was a terrorist and that 'You people bombed Paris.'"

Yasser Kaziha of the SDSU Muslim Student Assn. said he, too, met with the student, a friend who he said does not want to be identified.

"When the attack on our Muslim sister happened here at SDSU, she felt alone after bystanders and witnesses who watched the attack did nothing," he said. "However, she let me know that the support she received has made her stronger and more hopeful after the attack happened."

Mohebi said the woman wants students to speak out "not only against acts of violence like this, but the bigoted words, beliefs and ignorance that lead to acts of violence."

Mohebi called for SDSU to hold educational forums to discuss those issues.

SDSU Dean of Students Randy Timm, who also spoke at the rally, said he thought such forums were a good idea and would be supported by the administration.

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-sdsu-protest-20151124-story.html

Good for them.

Back to top Go down

Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU Empty Re: Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU

Post by Guest Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Fight back?
I thought it would be prudent to contact the Police and report it and not take matters into yout own hand, that is vigilantism,
So not good for them when they are encouraging vilolence, which could end up having the victim suffer even worse violence than she did here. By all means protect and rescue the woman.

Back to top Go down

Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU Empty Re: Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU

Post by Guest Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Also I wonder how many of these same students protestors are behind intimidation and attacks on Jewsih students.

The 10 Campuses With The Worst Anti-Semitic Activity
As one of its first initiatives, Jew Hatred on Campus has compiled a list of the 10 U.S. campuses having the worst anti-Semitic activity in 2014.  Universities included in the top 10 played host to numerous incidents of anti-Jewish acts, such as Israeli Apartheid Week (a week-long event that demonizes the Jewish state); interrupting university activities by staging mock “checkpoints” on campus; campus speakers that call for the destruction of the Jewish state; and verbal or physical harassment and violence against Jewish and pro-Israel students.  These anti-Semitic incidents occur on university property, often with the support of university funds, despite the fact that such behavior is explicitly forbidden under campus codes of conduct.  The David Horowitz Freedom Center plans to contact each of the named institutions to discuss its findings and to offer assistance in helping them to rectify this serious situation.  

1. Columbia University
  2. Cornell University
  3. George Mason University
  4. Loyola University Chicago
  5. Portland State University
  6. San Diego State University
  7. San Francisco State University
  8. Temple University
  9. University of California Los Angeles
  10. Vassar College

http://www.jewhatredoncampus.org/news/10-campuses-worst-anti-semitic-activity

I wonder how many formed a protest also to the antisemism against Jewish students?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:17 pm

Didge wrote:Also I wonder how many of these same students protestors are behind intimidation and attacks on Jewsih students.

As one of its first initiatives, Jew Hatred on Campus has compiled a list of the 10 U.S. campuses having the worst anti-Semitic activity in 2014.  Universities included in the top 10 played host to numerous incidents of anti-Jewish acts, such as Israeli Apartheid Week (a week-long event that demonizes the Jewish state); interrupting university activities by staging mock “checkpoints” on campus; campus speakers that call for the destruction of the Jewish state; and verbal or physical harassment and violence against Jewish and pro-Israel students.  These anti-Semitic incidents occur on university property, often with the support of university funds, despite the fact that such behavior is explicitly forbidden under campus codes of conduct.  The David Horowitz Freedom Center plans to contact each of the named institutions to discuss its findings and to offer assistance in helping them to rectify this serious situation.  

1. Columbia University
  2. Cornell University
  8. Temple University
  10. Vassar College

I wonder how many formed a protest also to the antisemism against Jewish students?

America is not really smitten with antisemitism as Europe is...even today. Most Jews--particularly in academia, where they do so well--are looked up to. Europe had that problem, still does.

The issue with Muslims in America is quite different. They always got a racist glance...but of course now it is a curse.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:Also I wonder how many of these same students protestors are behind intimidation and attacks on Jewsih students.

1. Columbia University
  2. Cornell University
  8. Temple University
  10. Vassar College

America is not really smitten with antisemitism as Europe is...even today.  Most Jews--particularly in academia, where they do so well--are looked up to.  Europe had that problem, still does.

The issue with Muslims in America is quite different.  They always got a racist glance...but of course now it is a curse.

You are again very wrong

The FBI just released its 2014 Hate Crime Statistics report, and I think it’s always valuable to realize how relatively good we have it compared to other kinds of minorities.

Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU E3YekO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:32 pm

I don't think so. FBI statistics are always suspect, because they produce so many, and people borrow out of context. Also, there is a great deal of bias in their collection, particularly given the message de jour. They rely on police departments, and as we have seen, there is a lot of bias in local police departments.

Your listing depends upon raw marginals, not even percentages. Hmmm... That suggests to me that someone has manipulated (or made up) the data...typical of the kind of misuses people make of FBI summaries. What particular board did you get this chart from?

Here is the ordinary presentation by the FBI:

Latest Hate Crime Statistics Report Released
Publication Includes New Data Collected Under Shepard/Byrd Act
Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU 7626f0e5-cce9-472b-9ffc-3719e5beadf1

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:36 pm

OMG so now you claim suspect stats.
Stop wasting my time with nonsense Quill

You have not got a clue and hence debate over, you are just another poor regressive lefty who has not got a clue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

America is not really smitten with antisemitism as Europe is...even today.  Most Jews--particularly in academia, where they do so well--are looked up to.  Europe had that problem, still does.

The issue with Muslims in America is quite different.  They always got a racist glance...but of course now it is a curse.

You are again very wrong

The FBI just released its 2014 Hate Crime Statistics report, and I think it’s always valuable to realize how relatively good we have it compared to other kinds of minorities.

Hundreds protest after hate crime report at SDSU E3YekO2

See the part highlighted Quill, the same link you just used, so how can it be suspect

Doh

Like I say stop wasting my time with stupidity

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:41 am

Didge wrote:OMG so now you claim suspect stats.
Stop wasting my time with nonsense Quill

You have not got a clue and hence debate over, you are just another poor regressive lefty who has not got a clue

OK.  It's not important that you and I communicate directly.

The statistics in the table do not comport with what I experience every day.  That suggests that America is quite possibly pro-semetic--so much so that (if these data are not 'inspired') the tabbing and coding are likely skewed due to an exaggerated selection and interpretation of incidents.  Simply put, America is too sensitive to Jewish issues.  I wouldn't mind...I think Jews are wonderful, brilliant and fascinating to talk to. Antisemitism was never an American thing.

But I can probably go a day overhearing 10-20 slights about Muslims around here.  I can go months without hearing anything untoward about Jews in America.

By contrast, I was amazed living in Europe, how much they are concerned about such things.  I have even been told by an old German man: Das unly thing Hitler did wrong, vas lose the var.  They appear to have an underlying grudge that won't go away.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down