NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy

4 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Brainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy Empty Re: Brainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:02 pm

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy —Randy Hazlick (aka Dr. Demento)

They are just creating more conservatives and Republicans.

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant that stupid persons are generally Conservative. —John Stuart Mill

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Brainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy Empty Re: Brainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:13 pm

This is more bad science journalism (not journalism about bad science, but bad journalism about science).

The posterior medial frontal cortex plays a role in a cognitive bias called choice-supportive bias, in which you ascribe positive characteristics to a thing or position you've chosen after you've chosen it, as in the person who chooses between buying two cars, then comes up with all sorts of reasons why the car he chose was better than the one he didn't.

The research actually showed that applying magnetism to the PMFC reduced choice-supportive bias and allowed them to think in a more open-minded way, i.e. less attached to and motivated to justify their previous positions. So really, the influence of the PMFC can make people more rigid and stubborn.

It's important to remember that the entire brain isn't involved in the romanticized notion we have of higher-order thought. Major portions are still devoted to telling you to run or defend yourself when you hear a noise in a nearby bush, all because millions of years ago that noise could have been made by a deadly predator. We may have left the savannah but the savannah hasn't left us Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by veya_victaous Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Ben should do science journalism....  

Brainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy Electrician2bBrainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy Chemistpm0Brainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy P0307     Brainwashing Tech to Rid the World of All Idealogy Reporter
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:This is more bad science journalism (not journalism about bad science, but bad journalism about science).

The posterior medial frontal cortex plays a role in a cognitive bias called choice-supportive bias, in which you ascribe positive characteristics to a thing or position you've chosen after you've chosen it, as in the person who chooses between buying two cars, then comes up with all sorts of reasons why the car he chose was better than the one he didn't.

The research actually showed that applying magnetism to the PMFC reduced choice-supportive bias and allowed them to think in a more open-minded way, i.e. less attached to and motivated to justify their previous positions. So really, the influence of the PMFC can make people more rigid and stubborn.

It's important to remember that the entire brain isn't involved in the romanticized notion we have of higher-order thought. Major portions are still devoted to telling you to run or defend yourself when you hear a noise in a nearby bush, all because millions of years ago that noise could have been made by a deadly predator. We may have left the savannah but the savannah hasn't left us Smile

Psychologists call it reduction of cognitive dissonance.  

Yes, sadly, saber-toothed tigers still exist in our genes.  That's the autonomic nervous system.  That's why I raised my daughters with a saying...panic is a useless emotion.  Another: ...anger is a useless emotion.

Stress Mastery wrote:When we experience excessive stress—whether from internal worry or external circumstance—a bodily reaction is triggered, called the "fight or flight" response. Originally discovered by the great Harvard physiologist Walter Cannon, this response is hard-wired into our brains and represents a genetic wisdom designed to protect us from bodily harm. This response actually corresponds to an area of our brain called the hypothalamus, which—when stimulated—initiates a sequence of nerve cell firing and chemical release that prepares our body for running or fighting.

Most stress problems today don't require us to run and hide from predatory beasts.  Such problems are overcome by simple calm, deliberative thinking.  Hence...never panic, it's a useless emotion is an affirmation I gave my girls.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down