NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Be too good to use racial slurs

+8
Fuzzy Zack
Eilzel
nicko
veya_victaous
Andy
eddie
Raggamuffin
Ben Reilly
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Be too good to use racial slurs Empty Be too good to use racial slurs

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:09 pm

... or face the consequences, if you prefer.

You all know that racial slurs aren't allowed on this site. I'm tired of seeing stuff like "paki," "raghead," etc. Anybody who has been using these epithets is officially warned and reminded that they are subject to moderator action and that repeat offenders can be banned.

Any administrator taking disciplinary action against a member for this reason has my support.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Be too good to use racial slurs Empty Re: Be too good to use racial slurs

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:12 pm

I hope 'thick Jock' is on that list.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:13 pm

What about "thick Muslim" or "thick Christian"?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:14 pm

sassy wrote:I hope 'thick Jock' is on that list.

That's not to be tolerated either -- however, please forgive the fact that I just learned the offensive nature of that yesterday.

It would help if people could try to communicate in proper Texan English -- here are some guidelines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texan_English

Be too good to use racial slurs 1366281442
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:14 pm

It absolutely is sassy.

There's a difference between joking around and using it in a derogatory way.

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:16 pm

So derogatory words towards a person from Scotland is not allowed, even though they're not really a race, so what about derogatory terms towards English or British people?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What about "thick Muslim" or "thick Christian"?

Let's face it, any abusive language to another is not acceptable.
I'm not talking about telling someone to "fuck off" or calling them "an idiot" - we all get riled up - but we all know the difference between getting annoyed and going too far.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:19 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What about "thick Muslim" or "thick Christian"?

Let's face it, any abusive language to another is not acceptable.
I'm not talking about telling someone to "fuck off" or calling them "an idiot" - we all get riled up - but we all know the difference between getting annoyed and going too far.

It's more the number of times some people use such words as "thick", "idiot", or "stupid" really - with nearly every post.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Well If you feel that someone is not debating with any respect or decorum - contact a moderator please rags.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Are us soft southern Jessies allowed to address anyone north of the M25 as thick northern ba$|@£s?
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:22 pm

eddie wrote:Well If you feel that someone is not debating with any respect or decorum - contact a moderator please rags.

That would be every five minutes then. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:25 pm

And so the usual suspects don't start - no, I won't be telling anyone to 'fuck off and die' even though it's never been meant literally.  Can't say I won't tell anyone to fuck off though!

Anyway, that's my twopence worth before the thread goes on, and on, and on, and on, you know what I mean!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:27 pm

"Fuck off" is fine
"Fuck off and die" isn't.

Everyone knows the difference and where to draw the line.
Anyone that doesnt, will be seeing their arse in the basement.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Hope it works both ways.
I detest racists, but some of the vitriol that comes from the resident racists here can be horrid, and they get away with it.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:30 pm

Handy Andy wrote:Hope it works both ways.
I detest racists, but some of the vitriol that comes from the resident racists here can be horrid, and they get away with it.

Don't mistake opinions for racist slurs, HA
I know where you think you're going with this.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Let's face it, if we were to ban all combative language, Vic would have been gone years ago, and for me, of all the people who left recently he's the one I'd most like to come back. Like edds says, we all know where the line is.

I think it's best to imagine you're talking to the person face to face. Don't say anything you wouldn't say in the real world.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Let's face it, if we were to ban all combative language, Vic would have been gone years ago, and for me, of all the people who left recently he's the one I'd most like to come back. Like edds says, we all know where the line is.

I think it's best to imagine you're talking to the person face to face. Don't say anything you wouldn't say in the real world.

Spot on.
Or as they say in Texas "darn tootin"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Let's face it, if we were to ban all combative language, Vic would have been gone years ago, and for me, of all the people who left recently he's the one I'd most like to come back. Like edds says, we all know where the line is.

I hope you take your own advice. You probably wouldn't be goading an English person about the IRA in the real world, or would you?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I hope you take your own advice. You probably wouldn't be goading an English person about the IRA in the real world, or would you?

If I got mad enough, probably. I'm not saying it's right, and the point of having standards is having something to try to live up to, not to become comfortable with or justify your faults.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:47 pm

eddie wrote:

Spot on.
Or as they say in Texas "darn tootin"

You betcher sweet ass.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

If I got mad enough, probably. I'm not saying it's right, and the point of having standards is having something to try to live up to, not to become comfortable with or justify your faults.

Well if you did it in the real world, you might get a punch in the mouth - depending on who you pick on.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well if you did it in the real world, you might get a punch in the mouth - depending on who you pick on.

I know.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

And in some parts of the world the anti IRA view will get you a punch in the mouth.
it's called perspective. not everyone thinks England is always in the right. Rolling Eyes
we get back packers from both parts.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:12 pm

I'd like to punch you in the mouth you ignorant swine.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:20 pm

nicko wrote:I'd like to punch you in the mouth you ignorant swine.

So you do believe in violence, just not in violence done to the English ...

What the IRA did to the English, while awful, pales in comparison to what the English did to the Irish for centuries.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:22 pm

because Irish people don't like the British... Suspect Suspect Suspect 

an Irish and north Irish backpacker got into a fight at the pub the other weekend about it..

the Irish guy started it i think, buggers are hard to understand, the accents make it sound like they are always joking to an Aussie Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:43 am

Vic had extreme prejudice against aussies that I couldn't believe. He literally ran Bee off and he's not fond of Veya. He isn't too fond of Americans, either...but America-bashing is probably acceptable because it leads the world and fair comment is everybody's right.

However, I don't second your sentiments, Ben.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:49 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

There's a difference between issues, which we are encouraged to discuss, and words that are slurs. If we shouldn't talk about the IRA, then I think we shouldn't talk about the Middle East...where we have no business, anyway.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:56 am

I don't think Vic hates Aussies Neutral
he just used the standard insults
he is just a grumpy old bugger Razz

I have actually asked in the admin thread that Nicko (and Vic if he returns) be excluded from this rule if directing Aussie insults at me. Wink 

But fair point about wolf/bee, they should be limited to me only
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:18 am

Original Quill wrote:

Vic had extreme prejudice against aussies that I couldn't believe.  He literally ran Bee off and he's not fond of Veya.  He isn't too fond of Americans, either...but America-bashing is probably acceptable because it leads the world and fair comment is everybody's right.

However, I don't second your sentiments, Ben.

I couldn't stand him either, but I still miss him Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:19 am

veya_victaous wrote:I don't think Vic hates Aussies Neutral

I have actually asked in the admin thread that Nicko (and Vic if he returns) be excluded from this rule if directing Aussie insults at me. Wink 

I don't like it. Who is Vic that he deserves special privileges under the rules?

Is this about who you know, or what you did?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:23 am

Vic is a top guy, even if the quintessential grumpy old man from countryside at times lol

He is one of the best posters around Smile

Bee, though we shared some views- was 90% insults. I was always shocked he was never disciplined tbh.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:43 am

Eilzel wrote:Vic is a top guy, even if the quintessential grumpy old man from countryside at times lol

Bee, though we shared some views- was 90% insults. I was always shocked he was never disciplined tbh.

I like Bee, and I don't share your opinion about Vic. He was a bully.

I know all y'all from Sky have close ties with one another. Maybe that's why I can be the more objective one.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:44 am

Original Quill wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Vic is a top guy, even if the quintessential grumpy old man from countryside at times lol

I like Bee, and I don't share your opinion about Vic.  He was a bully.

I know all y'all from Sky have close ties with one another.  Maybe that's why I can be the more objective one.

Please don't accuse me of ever having associated with Sky ... I hail from Shortnews and the short-lived NewsFixHabit Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:54 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I know all y'all from Sky have close ties with one another.  Maybe that's why I can be the more objective one.

Please don't accuse me of ever having associated with Sky ... I hail from Shortnews and the short-lived NewsFix Smile

My comments were in specific response to Les.  You have to understand some history.

Les, Vic, Sassy, Irn, JD, Didge, Shady, Big Andy, Nicko, Sphinx, Smells....well, all the Brits, came from Sky.  I wasn't there, but I gather that the RWers were so racist that Sky, a reputable company, could no longer risk its reputation by sponsoring this site...so it closed down.  Sphinx started ADO and that's where I came on, together with three others, Bee, Mogadishu, and Plucky...who took the name Oriental Lady, because she was in Hong Kong.  We were all from FF.

Notice that my post came right after Les' post.

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:05 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

So you do believe in violence, just not in violence done to the English ...

What the IRA did to the English, while awful, pales in comparison to what the English did to the Irish for centuries.

Never mind that - bring yourself into the present. You blatantly sat here mocking and baiting English people by gloating about what the IRA did. That makes you pretty scummy and makes you worse than the people you slag off because you really have no idea how scummy it was.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:06 am

Wrong Quill.

I hardly show any close ties with smelly, Andy etc. There is no bias here, if someone is a twat I say so.

Surely the fact that you are good friends with Bee is the big indicator of bias here. Look back at Bee's posts, wall to wall insults.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:07 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

And in some parts of the world the anti IRA view will get you a punch in the mouth.
it's called perspective. not everyone thinks England is always in the right. Rolling Eyes

The anti-IRA view is more likely to get you knifed or blown up. I would expect you to support the IRA because you're prejudiced against English people, and you probably cheered when innocent people were murdered by the IRA.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:11 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Please don't accuse me of ever having associated with Sky ... I hail from Shortnews and the short-lived NewsFix Smile

My comments were in specific response to Les.  You have to understand some history.

Les, Vic, Sassy, Irn, JD, Didge, Shady, Big Andy, Nicko, Sphinx, Smells....well, all the Brits, came from Sky.  I wasn't there, but I gather that the RWers were so racist that Sky, a reputable company, could no longer risk its reputation by sponsoring this site...so it closed down.  Sphinx started ADO and that's where I came on, together with three others, Bee, Mogadishu, and Plucky...who took the name Oriental Lady, because she was in Hong Kong.  We were all from FF.

I'm not from Sky. I was a member there but hardly ever posted, and I didn't know the other Brits on there.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:11 am

Eilzel wrote:Wrong Quill.

I hardly show any close ties with smelly, Andy etc. There is no bias here, if someone is a twat I say so.

Surely the fact that you are good friends with Bee is the big indicator of bias here. Look back at Bee's posts, wall to wall insults.

Could be...but that doesn't make me any fonder of Vic. He was a bully.

I recounted the history more to show the connections, not to take sides.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:12 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I'm not from Sky. I was a member there but hardly ever posted, and I didn't know the other Brits on there.

That's why I was filling in Ben on the lineages.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:15 am

Get your facts right Quill, I was never on Sky!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:18 am

nicko wrote:Get your facts right Quill, I was never on Sky!

Fair point. I wasn't there either. That's why I'm filling in by second-hand.

I added your name just so you wouldn't feel left out...in case you were one of the Sky members. Notice the note at the bottom that I revised the post later.

I thought you were on ADO, and all people from ADO were from Sky. Meh, I was wrong.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:29 am

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

There's a difference between issues, which we are encouraged to discuss, and words that are slurs.  If we shouldn't talk about the IRA, then I think we shouldn't talk about the Middle East...where we have no business, anyway.

It's a slur to goad English people about the IRA - not all of them of course because some of them are traitors and they supported the IRA. Nobody here is from the Middle East, so it's not personal. Ben made the IRA issue personal.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:38 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

There's a difference between issues, which we are encouraged to discuss, and words that are slurs.  If we shouldn't talk about the IRA, then I think we shouldn't talk about the Middle East...where we have no business, anyway.

It's a slur to goad English people about the IRA - not all of them of course because some of them are traitors and they supported the IRA. Nobody here is from the Middle East, so it's not personal. Ben made the IRA issue personal.

See Ben Be too good to use racial slurs 3408175593 no good turn goes unpunished.  

She's taking your edict about unseemly pronouns, and turning it into a prohibition of certain topics.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:36 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

The anti-IRA view is more likely to get you knifed or blown up. I would expect you to support the IRA because you're prejudiced against English people, and you probably cheered when innocent people were murdered by the IRA.

Actually i have no opinion as it does not really of any baring on my life...

and i wasn't born, too young to understand for most of it. Rolling Eyes

But i do know there are 2 sides to any conflict Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:45 am

Original Quill wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:I don't think Vic hates Aussies Neutral

I don't like it.  Who is Vic that he deserves special privileges under the rules? Suspect fear of heart attack Twisted Evil Razz Razz Razz joking nicko Wink

Is this about who you know, or what you did?

fine you can too Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

in fact anyone that I make so cranky they feel the need to can Wink

I personally don't think the letter of the law is as import as the spirit.... which is don't be a complete ---- Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:47 am

IRA were an indiscriminate terrorist group and should be recognized as such- the British in the past were absolutely brutal in Ireland and Northern Ireland. The time is past though. It is futile to keep bringing it up.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:42 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You,came to second ADO - because I wasn't on that one hence why I never met you
until here. There was the first ADO which ran for a while quite successfully, then Dean made flap as an offshoot from that
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:44 am

Eilzel wrote:Wrong Quill.

Exactly les and quills words right back at him: "it's not who you are but what you did"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next