NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama sends openly LGBT representatives to Russian Olympics

+2
David
Ben Reilly
6 posters

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Obama sends openly LGBT representatives to Russian Olympics Empty Obama sends openly LGBT representatives to Russian Olympics

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Former Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will lead the U.S. delegation to the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics next year in Sochi, Russia.
The White House says tennis champion Billie Jean King and U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul will join the opening ceremony delegation. So will figure skater Brian Boitano and presidential adviser Rob Nabors.

Deputy Secretary of State Bill Burns will lead the closing ceremony delegation. He will be joined by McFaul, Olympic medal-winners Bonnie Blair, a speed skater; Caitlin Cahow, an ice hockey player; and Eric Heiden, a speed skater.

King and Cahow are both openly gay athletes. Gay rights groups have urged the Obama administration to use the delegation selection to make a point about Russia's treatment of gays and lesbians.

"The U.S. Delegation to the Olympic Games represents the diversity that is the United States. All our delegation members are distinguished by their accomplishments in government service, civic activism, and sports. We are proud of each and every one of them and think they will serve as great ambassadors of the United States to the Olympic Games," the president said in a statement.

Asked during an August press conference whether the U.S. should boycott the Sochi games in response to Russia's record on gay rights, Mr. Obama said, "One of the things I’m really looking forward to is maybe some gay and lesbian athletes bringing home the gold or silver or bronze, which I think would go a long way in rejecting the kind of attitudes that we’re seeing there. And if Russia doesn’t have gay or lesbian athletes, then that would probably make their team weaker.”

Nice thumb of the nose to the land of hate!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-includes-openly-gay-athletes-in-2014-olympic-delegation/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Obama sends openly LGBT representatives to Russian Olympics Empty Re: Obama sends openly LGBT representatives to Russian Olympics

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:55 pm

That'll show 'em

Back to top Go down

Obama sends openly LGBT representatives to Russian Olympics Empty Re: Obama sends openly LGBT representatives to Russian Olympics

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello Queenie, you don't get the significance do you?

Jessie Owens made a wonderful point for coloured people at Hitler's olympics, got right up his nose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Sassy wrote:Hello Queenie, you don't get the significance do you?

Jessie Owens made a wonderful point for coloured people at Hitler's olympics, got right up his nose.

I do get the point.
I just hardly think it will be that much of an impact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Why would a gay athlete winning a gold medal in a virulently anti-gay country not send a message?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:06 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:

I do get the point.
I just hardly think it will be that much of an impact.

I'm sure it will, after all, America is Russia's biggest rival. If some gay athletes walk off with prizes and they have gay envoys, the point will be made to the people of Russia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Last I checked the reason for the Russian hatred of the LGBT community wasn't to do with genetic inferiority.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm

No Queenie, but gay people in Russia are stopped from competing unless they hide the fact they are gay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:Last I checked the reason for the Russian hatred of the LGBT community wasn't to do with genetic inferiority.

I doubt that will matter much; it will still send a message to people all around the world.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Former Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will lead the U.S. delegation to the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics next year in Sochi, Russia.
The White House says tennis champion Billie Jean King and U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul will join the opening ceremony delegation. So will figure skater Brian Boitano and presidential adviser Rob Nabors.

Deputy Secretary of State Bill Burns will lead the closing ceremony delegation. He will be joined by McFaul, Olympic medal-winners Bonnie Blair, a speed skater; Caitlin Cahow, an ice hockey player; and Eric Heiden, a speed skater.

King and Cahow are both openly gay athletes. Gay rights groups have urged the Obama administration to use the delegation selection to make a point about Russia's treatment of gays and lesbians.

"The U.S. Delegation to the Olympic Games represents the diversity that is the United States.  All our delegation members are distinguished by their accomplishments in government service, civic activism, and sports. We are proud of each and every one of them and think they will serve as great ambassadors of the United States to the Olympic Games," the president said in a statement.

Asked during an August press conference whether the U.S. should boycott the Sochi games in response to Russia's record on gay rights, Mr. Obama said, "One of the things I’m really looking forward to is maybe some gay and lesbian athletes bringing home the gold or silver or bronze, which I think would go a long way in rejecting the kind of attitudes that we’re seeing there. And if Russia doesn’t have gay or lesbian athletes, then that would probably make their team weaker.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-includes-openly-gay-athletes-in-2014-olympic-delegation/

Indeed!  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

"The U.S. Delegation to the Olympic Games represents the diversity that is the United States.  All our delegation members are distinguished by their accomplishments in government service, civic activism, and sports. We are proud of each and every one of them and think they will serve as great ambassadors of the United States to the Olympic Games," the president said in a statement.

Obama my hero! After Mandela x  cheers cheers cheers 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Knave Of Spades wrote:Last I checked the reason for the Russian hatred of the LGBT community wasn't to do with genetic inferiority.

I doubt that will matter much; it will still send a message to people all around the world.

Sassy wrote:No Queenie, but gay people in Russia are stopped from competing unless they hide the fact they are gay.

Which is fair enough, if you want to send a message then send it, however my original point was that it's not exactly going to have a massive impact, might piss off a lot of Russians but that's about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Blind as a bat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Sassy wrote:Blind as a bat.

Oh right, I forgot Jessie Owens winning the gold medal stopped the holocaust.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Jesus H Christ!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:Oh right, I forgot Jessie Owens winning the gold medal stopped the holocaust.

You don't think it had an impact and changed a lot of people's minds about racism?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Knave Of Spades wrote:Oh right, I forgot Jessie Owens winning the gold medal stopped the holocaust.

You don't think it had an impact and changed a lot of people's minds about racism?

Not enough to end to Nazi regime.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:03 pm

So if it can't accomplish anything that dramatic, it's worthless, then? Sorry, I think there's a far bigger issue here. You know a lot of homophobes are behind Russia on their stance, from all around the world. Many people don't know what to think; and I would imagine that to a lot of people, the message that gay people are some degenerate pox on civilization will be punctured by a gay athlete medalling in the Olympics.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:So if it can't accomplish anything that dramatic, it's worthless, then? Sorry, I think there's a far bigger issue here. You know a lot of homophobes are behind Russia on their stance, from all around the world. Many people don't know what to think; and I would imagine that to a lot of people, the message that gay people are some degenerate pox on civilization will be punctured by a gay athlete medalling in the Olympics.

I wouldn't think so.
Someone who hates the GAY MENACETM will unlikely have their opinion changed due to a homosexual winning a gold medal.
The issue a lot of people have, outside of those who just hate them blindly, is that they view it as sexual deviance. Winning a gold medal isn't going to change that opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 pm

So basically what will happen when a homosexual wins the gold is that those who support the LGBT community will start patting each-other on the back and those that oppose the LGBT community will simply disregard because it proves nothing in the long run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm

It's a middle finger to Russia and nothing more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:So if it can't accomplish anything that dramatic, it's worthless, then? Sorry, I think there's a far bigger issue here. You know a lot of homophobes are behind Russia on their stance, from all around the world. Many people don't know what to think; and I would imagine that to a lot of people, the message that gay people are some degenerate pox on civilization will be punctured by a gay athlete medalling in the Olympics.

I wouldn't think so.
Someone who hates the GAY MENACE<sup>TM</sup> will unlikely have their opinion changed due to a homosexual winning a gold medal.
The issue a lot of people have, outside of those who just hate them blindly, is that they view it as sexual deviance. Winning a gold medal isn't going to change that opinion.

It's not going to change the minds of those that view homosexuality as a sexual deviance, but the majority of people living in the Western world don't see homosexuality as a sexual deviance...It just brings the matter up to the wider populations that something isn't right in Russia, and pressure is being mounted on them to change their political ways.

There was a poll done a few years ago in Russia that showed that the majority of Russians at that time didn't have a problem with gay equality, it was at the time of Yeltzin...It isn't worth posting because the only reference to it that i can find is on a gay website so people would probably find fault and suggest that it was bollax.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 pm

Catman wrote:
Knave Of Spades wrote:

I wouldn't think so.
Someone who hates the GAY MENACETM will unlikely have their opinion changed due to a homosexual winning a gold medal.

It's not going to change the minds of those that view homosexuality as a sexual deviance, but the majority of people living in the Western world don't see homosexuality as a sexual deviance...It just brings the matter up to the wider populations that something isn't right in Russia, and pressure is being mounted on them to change their political ways.

There was a poll done a few years ago in Russia that showed that the majority of Russians at that time didn't have a problem with gay equality, it was at the time of Yeltzin...It isn't worth posting because the only reference to it that i can find is on a gay website so people would probably find fault and suggest that it was bollax.

Exactly my point.
It's just sending a message. It's not going to change anything in the long run especially considering how Russia doesn't really give a shit about what the western world thinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:It's a middle finger to Russia and nothing more.

Do you agree with abortion for women that have been raped?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Catman wrote:

What brand of Vodka you drinking tonight, Philly?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:
Catman wrote:

Exactly my point.
It's just sending a message. It's not going to change anything in the long run especially considering how Russia doesn't really give a shit about what the western world thinks.

What is wrong with sending a message?

You start with a message and then you change opinions in the long run politically.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:
Catman wrote:

My name isn't Philly.

It's Phil/Phillip/Catman!

:D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Catman wrote:
Knave Of Spades wrote:

Exactly my point.

You start with a message and then you change opinions in the long run politically.

Never said there was anything wrong with sending a message.
I said that it's going to have a negligible impact considering how Russia simply does not give a fuck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Any impact is better than no impact. If we all sat around whining 'it won't change anything' nothing would ever change.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cantankerous Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:32 am

yet the only person who snubbed him was the american president.

Cantankerous
Cantankerous
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cantankerous Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:36 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

what message will it send round the world. you aren't suggesting that because they are gay they are better athletes? What next, black men are better boxers or basketball players because they are black?
Using gay people to prove a point is a little stupid. Send the best athletes because they are best, not because of their sexuality.

Cantankerous
Cantankerous
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cantankerous Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37 am

Sassy wrote:Jesus H Christ!
which event is he competing in?
Cantankerous
Cantankerous
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cantankerous Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:38 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

well he did not change the mind of the american president as he is one who actually snubbed owens. hitler refused to meet any athletes.
Cantankerous
Cantankerous
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:39 am

From that same Olympics. The England football team. Wrong message

Obama sends openly LGBT representatives to Russian Olympics England-nazi-salute2
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cantankerous Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:39 am

so what will it say if they lose?
Cantankerous
Cantankerous
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cantankerous Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:41 am

Catman wrote:

I am all for abortion when any woman wants one. No one else has to carry the baby.
Cantankerous
Cantankerous
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:04 am

Cantankerous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

what message will it send round the world. you aren't suggesting that because they are gay they are better athletes? What next, black men are better boxers or basketball players because they are black?
Using gay people to prove a point is a little stupid. Send the best athletes because they are best, not because of their sexuality.

What did you fail to understand about the word "delegation"

This is not about sending athletes to compete but delegates to represents the US in the opening and closing ceremonies, showing an open stance against the Russian policy against gay people, it may help if you actually read the article first, just a tip mind.
Its called making a political point, a very good one at that as the event is a global one, being in open defiance to Russian laws

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:07 am

Cantankerous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Again you seem confused over this, sending people who are gay as delegates is in open defiance of the laws of Russia. Nobody is saying because someone is gay or black that they are better in fact what it states is that they are as equal to participate in events and that people should not be discriminated against of which Russia has stated openly that anyone participating could be arrested, or did that also esacpe you too on the matter?

As I say it may help to actually read what this is about, as it is delegates that have been chosen to make a point, a very strong point at that.

I mean when did it twig that sending Billy Jean King a former "Tennis" star to the winter Olympics was not about competing but about them being delegates, sports champions and who are gay ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:18 am

Cantankerous wrote:

yet the only person who snubbed him was the american president.

You fail to see the significance again here as at the time the Nazis portrayed African-Americans as inferior and ridiculed the United States for relying on "black auxiliaries." Yet this backfired on the Nazi's, as crowds of 110,000 cheered him in Berlin's glittering Olympic Stadium and his autograph or picture was sought as he walked the streets.

That is called a propaganda coup!

If you do not think that is not a powerful message for the time, which made the Nazi's look very wrong, then I guess you must have some wonderful explanation to explain otherwise, please do share.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Catman wrote:
Knave Of Spades wrote:

My name isn't Philly.

Or Catty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:49 pm

£BILLION£ wrote:
Catman wrote:

My name isn't Philly.

Or Catty.

No, it's not Catty, any more than yours is Billy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Knave Of Spades wrote:
Catman wrote:

Never said there was anything wrong with sending a message.
I said that it's going to have a negligible impact considering how Russia simply does not give a fuck.

Oh darling one has simply loved reading your posts and I certainly agree with them particularly where you say that the Russians simply do not give a fuck.Which is very true as those silly old Russians do not care about western opinion.
Having said that darling there are always exceptions and yours truly is one of them and that's because I have invested hundreds of millions of pounds in Russian gas,which in turn turned me into a billionaire.Which is wonderful don't you agree? Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Sassy wrote:
£BILLION£ wrote:

Or Catty.

Well that's because my name is Stephanie? Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:55 pm

£BILLION£ wrote:
Sassy wrote:

No its not LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm

An Olympic medal winning figure skater who was two days ago announced as part of the US delegation going to the Sochi Winter Olympics, has come out as gay.
Brian Boitano, 1988 gold medal-winning figure skater will join the openly gay tennis star Billie Jean King and ice hockey medal-winner Caitlin Cahow, in the delegation to the Winter Olympics in February.
US President Barack Obama on Tuesday named the gay sports stars as part of America’s delegation to the Winter Olympics in Russia – but in a significant move confirmed that he will not be attending the event himself. February will be the first time since 2000 that the US has not sent a president, former president, first lady or vice president to the Olympics.
Boitano came out on Thursday, reports the Associated Press, saying that “being gay is just one part of who I am.”
“First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance,” Boitano said in his statement.
“As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.”
There has been an international outcry since Russian President Vladimir Putin signed the legislation into law in June, which bans the promotion of homosexuality to minors.
The Sochi Games have been the subject of a heated debate around whether other countries should boycott based on the law.
Meanwhile, former UK Foreign minister Denis MacShane has called on Prime Minister David Cameron to personally boycott the 2014 Winter Olympics in protest at President Vladimir Putin’s “rank homophobia”.
In response, Downing Street said it “doesn’t usually talk about the Prime Minister’s travel plans in advance.”
On Monday, French President Francois Hollande became the most high profile leader to snub the opening ceremony of the Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia.
German President Joachim Gauck also said he was not going to the Games.
However, both President Hollande and President Gauck failed to state their official reasons for not attending.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/12/19/olympic-figure-skater-in-us-sochi-delegation-comes-out-as-gay/

cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 pm

....I wonder if Camerloon will go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Of course he will, it's free lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:17 am

Knave Of Spades wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Sassy wrote:No Queenie, but gay people in Russia are stopped from competing unless they hide the fact they are gay.

Which is fair enough, if you want to send a message then send it, however my original point was that it's not exactly going to have a massive impact, might piss off a lot of Russians but that's about it.

Who the fook gives a shit about the Russians? Let 'em rot in hell, the bastards.

The biggest money market for the Olympics is the US public. We get the US public to ignore televised coverage of the Olympics--known as a secondary boycott--and it will be a cold day in hell before the next Olympics are held in that god-forsaken hole.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:40 am

You know, I'd argue that Putin is already starting to bend to the pressure that the world has been putting on him over his horrible stance on basic civil rights:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/19/5227128/putin-agrees-to-release-jailed-pussy-riot-members

Now I'm not saying that the inclusion of LGBT people on the U.S. delegation to the Olympics is anywhere close to the sole reason for this. Still, I can't help but feel that every little bit helps ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Sassy wrote:
£BILLION£ wrote:

No its not LOL

Darling Sassy I'll be honest.......I don't know how much longer I can keep this up.

What shall I do?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next