NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Education

2 posters

Go down

Education Empty Education

Post by Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:56 am

Is this the right way to go?

Back to top Go down

Education Empty Re: Education

Post by Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:04 am

Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:11 am

RedLipstick19827 months ago

Can you imagine how how much asbestos and ghosts came out of there? Unfortunately, I went there and 4 years later I found out 2 of Stephen Lawrence's killers went there too...makes me shudder to think they were once behind those haunted walls, as well as myself...

affraid 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:16 am

Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:44 am

TBF...I think that this is the right way forward for the educational needs of young people, why should young kids be forced to attend classes that they have no interest in...And they will never be able to excel in that field of education.

IMO it's far better to let kids decide their own educational needs...I mean...I would have much rather attended history and politics classes, rather that to be forced to attend games classes...I eventually bunked off those classes because i was having none of those after year three when i was there...And i was never pulled up over that either.

Crown Woods school was the best in my area...The first secondary modern in this country...I'm proud of the fact that the school that i went to has now been rebuilt to provide a better education for kids that is more tailor made to each individual child's needs, rather than to some rigid dogmire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:34 am

Catman wrote:TBF...I think that this is the right way forward for the educational needs of young people, why should young kids be forced to attend classes that they have no interest in...

Eh, I have to disagree. I think when you're young, the educational system needs to put you through at least some basic introduction to many fields you probably didn't start off interested in and may not be interested in. You just haven't been exposed to enough of the world to make that call yet when you're young, I think. I know that I eventually became interested in a lot of things I never cared for at first -- from history to journalism to science to politics -- over time, and I was glad that I had at least a basic understanding of those things going in.

Also, with as fast as things change these days, if you don't have a broad educational foundation to build from, you may find yourself trying to change careers at some point without the faintest clue about the field you want or need to enter.

Then again -- it's the teacher's job to stoke interest in their subject. Many teachers have a problem with that, and are sometimes put into situations where they're trying to teach something they're not passionate about. Or maybe they're not passionate about teaching in the first place. There are also, of course, many big corporations (the likes of Sony and Disney) that are vying for the attention of young people, something which we apparently have decided is an acceptable way to bring along our future generations ...

The best education, in my opinion, inspires people to take an interest in all this huge, diverse world has to offer and helps people develop into well-rounded, curious, independent-thinking individuals.

I remember an exercise we did in my first year of college (university) where we had moderate-length reading selections and we had to write commentaries, one in which we basically took what the author wrote as given and one in which we "read against the grain," i.e. we tried to cast doubt upon every assertion the author made. It was quite mind-opening.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:59 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Catman wrote:TBF...I think that this is the right way forward for the educational needs of young people, why should young kids be forced to attend classes that they have no interest in...

Eh, I have to disagree. I think when you're young, the educational system needs to put you through at least some basic introduction to many fields you probably didn't start off interested in and may not be interested in. You just haven't been exposed to enough of the world to make that call yet when you're young, I think. I know that I eventually became interested in a lot of things I never cared for at first -- from history to journalism to science to politics -- over time, and I was glad that I had at least a basic understanding of those things going in.

Also, with as fast as things change these days, if you don't have a broad educational foundation to build from, you may find yourself trying to change careers at some point without the faintest clue about the field you want or need to enter.

Then again -- it's the teacher's job to stoke interest in their subject. Many teachers have a problem with that, and are sometimes put into situations where they're trying to teach something they're not passionate about. Or maybe they're not passionate about teaching in the first place. There are also, of course, many big corporations (the likes of Sony and Disney) that are vying for the attention of young people, something which we apparently have decided is an acceptable way to bring along our future generations ...

The best education, in my opinion, inspires people to take an interest in all this huge, diverse world has to offer and helps people develop into well-rounded, curious, independent-thinking individuals.

I remember an exercise we did in my first year of college (university) where we had moderate-length reading selections and we had to write commentaries, one in which we basically took what the author wrote as given and one in which we "read against the grain," i.e. we tried to cast doubt upon every assertion the author made. It was quite mind-opening.

Well TBF....I knew what i was interested in after year two in comprehensive school...Once i got over the shock of leaving primary education, and that took a couple of years because i was brought up in a nice rich middle class enclave primary school which was quite small.. and then with the new school...The biggest one in the area...

I think that kids grow up a lot faster these days, my nephew isn't even two yet...He is walking and talking....He is really big and i know for a fact that when my brother and i were kids we hadn't developed to that extent.

The point that i'm trying to make is that kids are growing up a lot faster both physically and on a mental basis than we did when we were their age, so we need to adapt in the same way and we need to accept this fact...FFS!...My two year old nephew will probably be able to help me to use the latest mobile phone in the end...I'm not interested in going past windows 7...I can't be bothered with touch screen as i have sweaty hands  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 am

bump.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:35 am

Well....Judging from the new tough teachers program on BBC3...Seems to be doing quite well!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:36 am

@cat
you dont even know what jobs there are yet when your at school.
It's a different world now, every kid needs any/every skill/education they can get.
the Job they end up doing may not even exisit while they were at school.
My Job Didn't. You have to learn about more than just what interests you. If anything I think the exact opposite, if it interests them they will learn it outside of school, so school should focus on the things that they are not interested in, but will need.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:37 am

Catman wrote:Well....Judging from the new tough teachers program on BBC3...Seems to be doing quite well!

You'll know when they reach the work force
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:53 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Catman wrote:Well....Judging from the new tough teachers program on BBC3...Seems to be doing quite well!

You'll know when they reach the work force

The academies are a new project...granted!

That sort of thing would have appealed to me, when i was in the comprehensive school, that it was before!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:56 am

...It was the top comp school in the area, when i left school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:50 am

I was in Eltham, earlier today...Kids leaving school time....getting a bus.

Now...When i went to Crown Woods comp, it was not an academy then, it was very rowdy on the buses.

...What i noticed, was that the kids, on the bus were far less rowdy and far more considerate, so the academies must be doing something right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:59 am

My old school, Wymondham College in Norfolk

Has it's own youtube site:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thewymondhamcollege

State Co-ed boarding school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down