NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci

4 posters

Go down

Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci Empty Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Researchers have unraveled the mystery of the Mona Lisa’s enigmatic smile, with help from another Leonardo da Vinci painting that uses the same clever technique.

The Mona Lisa has captivated people for centuries because her smile is so elusive; from one angle, she seems to be smiling, but when you look directly at her lips, her smile appears to flatten. It’s really a clever visual trick, in which subtle blending of colors exploits our peripheral vision.

And now it appears da Vinci had used the trick before. A recently discovered earlier da Vinci portrait, “La Bella Principessa,” uses the same visual effect to create the impression of an elusive smile.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/08/14/mona-lisa-smile/

Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci Davincismile-1024x721

I feel dumb that I never noticed that effect before ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci Empty Re: Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci

Post by eddie Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:10 pm

I actually never ever saw a non-smile?
To me, and I've seen the actual painting at Le Louvre, she looks to be smiling a very discreet and slightly smug smile that I can see from every angle.

I never got the "Is she smiling?" question!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci Empty Re: Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:22 pm

eddie wrote:I actually never ever saw a non-smile?
To me, and I've seen the actual painting at Le Louvre, she looks to be smiling a very discreet and slightly smug smile that I can see from every angle.

I never got the "Is she smiling?" question!

I think it's that the shading on both faces, near the cheekbones, suggests the smile, but the actual mouth isn't smiling very much. Almost like he figured out how to paint smiling eyes. I find it fascinating, my skills are more verbal than visual and I never knew artists did things like this.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:16 pm

Yes but I've never not seen the smile?!
So am I seeing the shading differently, to you?

Would like sassy's opinion actually, as she paints.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:32 am

I think she's just wet her knickers and is a bit embarrassed!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:41 am

nicko wrote:I think she's just wet her knickers and is a bit embarrassed!

lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:50 pm

nicko wrote:I think she's just wet her knickers and is a bit embarrassed!

Nicko!!!! Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci Embarr12 Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci Giggle17 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:57 pm

I never thought she was smiling anyway. Also, she looks like Sonia from Eastenders. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I never thought she was smiling anyway. Also, she looks like Sonia from Eastenders. Laughing

Hahaha! She does actually!!! Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci Giggle18 Researchers discover a second 'Mona Lisa smile,' also painted by Da Vinci Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKjk0gaBXwaJsciLXboeBG-zZoXtFCsbjvUOj9tkPHQ7E3_nFh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down